Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Hopin tae try a film for da 1st time next week though.

Joost mak sure you don't playfully throw a plastic cup at your pal. Somebody got chucked oot for that!

In all fairness to the bouncers concerning that incident, the guy threw a plastic cup, on stage, at his pal who was a band member.

If I was a bouncer and seen that then the guy would have been out.

Just realised that the comments have not been deleted - just weren't showing on my phone for some reason.

Apologies tae Mareel for that

A plastic cup thrown on stage wouldn't even be considered an offence at a gig at the Barrowlands/Garage etc etc. Surely if it wis an offence a warning would have done the job...?

Just realised that the comments have not been deleted - just weren't showing on my phone for some reason.

Apologies tae Mareel for that

You are not the only one who thought comments had been deleted...

Was someone up all night editing Mareel's Facebook page deleting all the negative comments? Had a quick look when I got in last night, plenty about the time it took to get a drink at the bar and the stewards. All gone when I was up at 7 this morning. Surely they would like to take on board the negative aswell as the positive, it is the opinion of its customers it is censoring afterall which isn't a good idea. Folk aren't stupid we know it isn't a smoothly run operation!

Someone told me about a mother who had gone on Mareel's facebook page complaining that she had had drinks and snacks for her bairn taken off her at the door and that it had got loads of comments on the fb page but when I went on to look I didn't see anything, I wondered if the comments had been removed.

^^ If you re-read my post you'll see that I was actually complimenting the "smiley" door staff. It was the officious and rude demeanor of the security guard that I take issue with. Still, not everyone can be polite I guess, as you so succinctly illustrate with the tone of your response.

I was under the impression that 'security' meant what it does in other venues: 'door' staff or 'bouncers' as well as 'blokes wandering around venue'.

But if it's a seperate section, fair enough. But my point still stands regardless of what hat someone was wearing.

And I could argue that your tone implies you are always right and everyone must agree with you....maybe that's why you're so annoyed....

:wink:

any of the current films worth seeing ?
Skyfall is brilliant (and I'm not a Bond fan), Looper is well worth a watch (I agree it messes with the mind), The Shining is a different beast on the big screen and I've heard good reports about Untouchable which I'm going to see tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to (Jack Kerouac's) On The Road which starts on Saturday.

I've surprised myself at the amount of films I've been to see. I hardly ever watch films at home but it's a completely different experience in a top quality cinema.

Shetland Meets Appalachia sounds good but neither the Shetland Arts nor the Mareel website set out what is happening at the Muckle Roe and Cullivoe halls. Before buying a ticket I rather like to know who is appearing as indeed I would if the Folk Festival were putting on the concerts.

First visit to screen 1 to see Skyfall. Thumbs up for the cinema, it was so nice not to feel I had to keep still (being tall & wide) in consideration of people behind me. Love the wide seats & armrests, sound & screen were excellent, side lighting didn't bother me. Cupholders very handy - do they put ashtrays in them when showing French films? :lol:

As to the comments about the noise of the sweety-eaters - the moment the film started you could have heard a pin drop!

First visit to screen 1 to see Skyfall. Thumbs up for the cinema, it was so nice not to feel I had to keep still (being tall & wide) in consideration of people behind me. Love the wide seats & armrests, sound & screen were excellent, side lighting didn't bother me. Cupholders very handy - do they put ashtrays in them when showing French films? :lol:

As to the comments about the noise of the sweety-eaters - the moment the film started you could have heard a pin drop!

yup just like a normal cinema- or what folk think i cinema should look like, its good.

It's great how getting a cinema that show films on release day needs a press release everytime they do what a proper cinema does week in week out. i just find it realy funny

still good though.

It's a shame so many of the music events have had such a poor turn outs