Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

It's a shame so many of the music events have had such a poor turn outs

How poor is poor, and is anyone willing to venture a guess as to why this is the case? There's been nothing on yet that has tempted me to consider going, so any feedback has been from others, which isn't necessarily the most objective or accurate. The lack of either operators, promoters, bands etc or audiences saying much if anything publically, isn't exactly going to help the situation improve.

I saw the film "SEARCHING FOR SUGARMAN" at Mareel last Wednesday night and would urge anyone who loves music especially singer songwriters like Bob Dylan, Nick Drake or Leonard Cohen to go and see it when it shows again on Sunday night. I won't say too much about it as that may ruin the experience for you but I left the cinema fascinated and immediately went home and ordered up the albums featured in the film. If fact, everyone should go and see the film, it was absolutely brilliant!!

With regards to the previous person's post about Mareel only appealing to the arty and music crowd - what a load of rubbish!! I am really fed up with all the moaning about Mareel. Music and films are "The Arts". I don't play an instrument but love music and think that the variety and quality of Musicians, Bands and films has been second to none. Maybe, if people went to a concert or event that they would not normally go to, they would be surprised by the quality of the music and enjoy it! Having said that, there is a lot on at the moment, at Mareel and other places, and people can't afford to go to everything.

Yes, there has been some problems with Mareel but it's just opened and they seem to take comments on board and genuinely try to fix the mistakes. In fact, I didn't know it, but was incorrectly charged for some film tickets a few weeks ago I got an email a couple of days ago saying that this mistake had come to light and there was a voucher at reception for the amount I had been overcharged. Now that's pretty good customer service!

I saw the film "SEARCHING FOR SUGARMAN" at Mareel last Wednesday night and would urge anyone who loves music especially singer songwriters like Bob Dylan, Nick Drake or Leonard Cohen to go and see it when it shows again on Sunday night. I won't say too much about it as that may ruin the experience for you but I left the cinema fascinated and immediately went home and ordered up the albums featured in the film. If fact, everyone should go and see the film, it was absolutely brilliant!!

With regards to the previous person's post about Mareel only appealing to the arty and music crowd - what a load of rubbish!! I am really fed up with all the moaning about Mareel. Music and films are "The Arts". I don't play an instrument but love music and think that the variety and quality of Musicians, Bands and films has been second to none. Maybe, if people went to a concert or event that they would not normally go to, they would be surprised by the quality of the music and enjoy it! Having said that, there is a lot on at the moment, at Mareel and other places, and people can't afford to go to everything.

Yes, there has been some problems with Mareel but it's just opened and they seem to take comments on board and genuinely try to fix the mistakes. In fact, I didn't know it, but was incorrectly charged for some film tickets a few weeks ago I got an email a couple of days ago saying that this mistake had come to light and there was a voucher at reception for the amount I had been overcharged. Now that's pretty good customer service!

I don't think the cinema would hold all the adults in these isles, do you? :wink:

Whilst I can understand the sentiment(s) within your post, I think you need a reality check. For example, I'd seriously worry about Ghostrider's health if He suddenly felt the urge to go and watch an opera! In other words, what appeals to you may not appeal to others.

It's good that the cinema is doing well but I can't help but wonder if they scrapped some of the under-utilised facilities within Mareel and had instead built a second larger cinema, that they would be able to show more than one (or two?) films when they are released elsewhere in the UK because at the moment it would appear that they are somewhat limited/dictated to by the distributors as to what they can show and for how long.

Mareel is trying to be something to everybody yet at the same time, Shetland Arts have to balance the books/make a profit. It has been reported in the press that they have secured funding from elsewhere to make up the shortfall provided that the SIC dig deep. Why? They can go to a bank like any other commercial venture, can they not, especially if we are to believe the Funky Gibbon in that Mareel is exceeding all expectations (if the rest of Mareel is performing financially as well as the cinema)?

I find the opening season's offerings rather disappointing, to be frank. Now if they got Thea Gilmore up here I might be interested but so far, apart from Skyfall, nothing has appealed. Oops, tell a lie - the Blues Festival appealed but I'd rather support a local venue ... and now it would appear that local venues are at risk as more utilise Mareel which is a huge shame and affects many who can't get into town on a regular basis.

Then there's the licensing issue - just how come they got a late licence? I can understand others being peeved about this, if the press reports are correct.

Yes, I'll go to Mareel if and when something appeals but I'm still waiting. I'm still to be convinced that Mareel will deliver all it says on the tin.

I don't think the cinema would hold all the adults in these isles, do you? :wink:

Whilst I can understand the sentiment(s) within your post, I think you need a reality check. For example, I'd seriously worry about Ghostrider's health if He suddenly felt the urge to go and watch an opera! In other words, what appeals to you may not appeal to others.

It's good that the cinema is doing well but I can't help but wonder if they scrapped some of the under-utilised facilities within Mareel and had instead built a second larger cinema, that they would be able to show more than one (or two?) films when they are released elsewhere in the UK because at the moment it would appear that they are somewhat limited/dictated to by the distributors as to what they can show and for how long.

Mareel is trying to be something to everybody yet at the same time, Shetland Arts have to balance the books/make a profit. It has been reported in the press that they have secured funding from elsewhere to make up the shortfall provided that the SIC dig deep. Why? They can go to a bank like any other commercial venture, can they not, especially if we are to believe the Funky Gibbon in that Mareel is exceeding all expectations (if the rest of Mareel is performing financially as well as the cinema)?

I find the opening season's offerings rather disappointing, to be frank. Now if they got Thea Gilmore up here I might be interested but so far, apart from Skyfall, nothing has appealed. Oops, tell a lie - the Blues Festival appealed but I'd rather support a local venue ... and now it would appear that local venues are at risk as more utilise Mareel which is a huge shame and affects many who can't get into town on a regular basis.

Then there's the licensing issue - just how come they got a late licence? I can understand others being peeved about this, if the press reports are correct.

Yes, I'll go to Mareel if and when something appeals but I'm still waiting. I'm still to be convinced that Mareel will deliver all it says on the tin.

Thanks for pointing out that you've never actually been to Mareel. I'll bear that in mind when I'm skimming over your regular 'critiques' in future.

In response to a couple of your points:

"I can't help but wonder if they scrapped some of the under-utilised facilities within Mareel and had instead built a second larger cinema, that they would be able to show more than one (or two?) films when they are released elsewhere in the UK because at the moment it would appear that they are somewhat limited/dictated to by the distributors as to what they can show and for how long."

Which 'under-utilised' facilities would these be then? Every time I've been in all ghe facilities seem to be really busy and as far as I'm aware, there is usually a choice of two films on. All cinemas are "somewhat limited/dictated to by the distributors" so why pick on Mareel?

"Oops, tell a lie - the Blues Festival appealed but I'd rather support a local venue ... and now it would appear that local venues are at risk as more utilise Mareel which is a huge shame and affects many who can't get into town on a regular basis."

On what evidence do you base your assertion that "local venues are at risk as more utilise Mareel"? There are plenty of the artists who came to Shetland and played in Mareel and an out of town venue - (off the top of my head) there was Himmerland, Oksana Mavrodii, Stuart McCallum & Aziz and various Blues Festival acts. Next weekend the Shetland Meets Appalachia tour will include Cullivoe and Muckle Roe. I await your evidence....

Since you mention the Blues Festival and your support for 'local venues' - did you attend the Blues Festival in Ness Boating Club and/or Sandwick Social Club?

"Then there's the licensing issue - just how come they got a late licence? I can understand others being peeved about this, if the press reports are correct."

Why should Mareel not get a late license???

Thanks for pointing out that you've never actually been to Mareel. I'll bear that in mind when I'm skimming over your regular 'critiques' in future.

Well, I do recall mention of an official invite and tour but Ghostie and I are still waiting; would be a shame to be rude and go before then. :wink:

As soon as I fancy seeing something, then I'll attend. I can't even presently do a spur of the moment visit to the cafe because you never know when it will be open and why on earth should I need to phone in advance?!

In response to a couple of your points:

"I can't help but wonder if they scrapped some of the under-utilised facilities within Mareel and had instead built a second larger cinema, that they would be able to show more than one (or two?) films when they are released elsewhere in the UK because at the moment it would appear that they are somewhat limited/dictated to by the distributors as to what they can show and for how long."

Which 'under-utilised' facilities would these be then? Every time I've been in all ghe facilities seem to be really busy and as far as I'm aware, there is usually a choice of two films on. All cinemas are "somewhat limited/dictated to by the distributors" so why pick on Mareel?

The bar is under-utilised in that it cannot cope with demand and hence is not realising its true potential; it isn't open to a number of their patrons when large events are on. How many wedding receptions have been booked? How many courses are full and haven't been cancelled? Are the rehearsal rooms booked every day for every hour? Of course not, because apparently they double up as backstage areas. Likewise, is the recording studio booked for all the opening hours? Just because when you've attended they've been busy doesn't mean to say they aren't under-utilised or are you saying that you have been to Mareel during quiet periods too?

Mareel stated, did they not, that they would be showing films on their release dates; therefore, I'd hardly say I'm picking on them as I wasn't the one who made that statement - they did.

"Oops, tell a lie - the Blues Festival appealed but I'd rather support a local venue ... and now it would appear that local venues are at risk as more utilise Mareel which is a huge shame and affects many who can't get into town on a regular basis."

On what evidence do you base your assertion that "local venues are at risk as more utilise Mareel"? There are plenty of the artists who came to Shetland and played in Mareel and an out of town venue - (off the top of my head) there was Himmerland, Oksana Mavrodii, Stuart McCallum & Aziz and various Blues Festival acts. Next weekend the Shetland Meets Appalachia tour will include Cullivoe and Muckle Roe. I await your evidence....

Since you mention the Blues Festival and your support for 'local venues' - did you attend the Blues Festival in Ness Boating Club and/or Sandwick Social Club?

Down at the Ness and Lincoln Durham was ace! The Blues Festival announced that no further gigs will be held in future apart from in town at Mareel. Whilst it is fair to state that they said that out of town gigs were not well attended and they say that anyone could pay on the door, it was definitely not clear and not known to many locals that people could indeed pay on the door. Had I known this, then rest assured I would not have paid the box office fee for purchasing my ticket. Just how much does it cost to hold the Blues Festival in Mareel compared with the other town venues and those out of town?

"Then there's the licensing issue - just how come they got a late licence? I can understand others being peeved about this, if the press reports are correct."

Why should Mareel not get a late license???

I suggest you look at the press reports concerning a conflict of interest *Edit ... and also that it was outwith their licensing policy, according to the letter writer. Does this mean that late licences are not covered within the existing policy or that by granting Mareel a licence it goes against the existing policy in place?

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2012/11/02/licensing-board-policy-phillip-manson

Unlinked, stop calling Gwilym the 'Funky Gibbon' as it isn't clever.

Who made you a Moderator? Clever it might not be, but funny to some it is - obviously you don't find it funny. :wink:

Well I think it is quite funny and if someone with a name like that wants to have a high profile job they must expect the odd joke........and with his salary you could call me what you like.

Clever it might not be, but funny to some it is - obviously you don't find it funny. :wink:

Kind of like when you were getting called Unlikedstudent

Ahhh but Jonno, if you didn't take the fun outta me then you would be deprived of one of your hobbies. :wink:

Unlinkedstudent, it is you that is made the assertion that parts of the building are "under-utilised", then in your next post you're asking a series of questions as to whether or not they are indeed under-utilised. It would seem that you don't know enough to be making these claims. I don't know either as I'm only going by personal experience, but I'm not making claims about anything other than my personal experience.

This point doesn't make much sense "Are the rehearsal rooms booked every day for every hour? Of course not, because apparently they double up as backstage areas" So, the fact that some spaces are used for multiple uses somehow backs up your assertion that they're under-utilised?!

...or"[the cafe bar] isn't open to a number of their patrons when large events are on" I don't know if they do this all the time, but there's been twice that I've been when ticketed events have incuded use of the cafe bar, and a temporary bar was set up in the foyer for cinema goers along with the teas, coffees and snacks available from reception. It's quite nice in the foyer now too, with comfy sofas and tables. The fact that folk are hiring Mareel's cafe bar doesn't add much weight to your assertions of under-utilisation.

I'm no architect, but I don't think there's any point in wodnering if "they scrapped some of the under-utilised facilities within Mareel and had instead built a second larger cinema" I can't see the rehearsal spaces, recording studio or cafe making a very good second screen. Anyway, there is already a second screen which has been well attended whenever I've been in.

Too big, too small, multi-use, under-utilised.... with respect Unlinkedstudent, I'm not sure you'd be happy no matter what they did with the building. And because you haven't been, I'm not sure why you're looking for problems that no-one else who has been seems to be worried about.

"Mareel stated, did they not, that they would be showing films on their release dates; therefore, I'd hardly say I'm picking on them as I wasn't the one who made that statement - they did."

Many films are indeed shown on their release date. Your point is...?

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Blues Festival, as did I. However, you haven'y backed up your claim that "local venues are at risk as more utilise Mareel"? I've been to a couple of Blues Festival events in the country that weren't well attended several years ago. Is that Mareel's fault?

Furthermore, I don't think even you can blame Mareel for you not being aware that tickets were available at the door of the Ness Boating Club.

I want to make it clear that I'm not having a pop at the Blues Festival - I think the organisers do a great job every year. The nature of putting regular events on is that some won't be as well attended as others.

"I suggest you look at the press reports concerning a conflict of interest *Edit ... and also that it was outwith their licensing policy, according to the letter writer. Does this mean that late licences are not covered within the existing policy or that by granting Mareel a licence it goes against the existing policy in place?"

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2012/11/02/licensing-board-policy-phillip-manson"

Interesting letter. I note that the writter says "A nightclub is defined as a premises which only opens late at night, and the specific area is not used for any other purpose." Posers has a 2am license and is used to show football matches. The Wheel Bar also has a late license and is open 7 days a week as a pub, so I'm not sure where they fit into this definition.