Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

To balance things up a little:

I f.....g love Mareel. I've been at concerts, films, workshops and talks.

It's a fabulous resource, and one I hope that will be successful and around for a long time to come.

I have to laugh at someone complaining that it's not big enough - the biggest complaint before was that it was too big to be sustainable.

Can't please everyone - but I know a lot of very pleased Mareel-goers.

Bryan i think you shouldn't waste your time anwsering to the moaning shetlink crew, it seems people are never going to be happy unless the place is shut down.

Focus on the good things, keep up the good work. :)

Couldn't agree more!

Yup, not been to a gig yet but used both screen, the auditorium and cafe and it's great. My wife has had a couple of informal makking and yakking get togethers there and loves it too.

Bryan i think you shouldn't waste your time anwsering to the moaning shetlink crew, it seems people are never going to be happy unless the place is shut down.

Obviously you've never heard that the best way to silence your critics is to get them on side.

By discussing/asking for information, it clears things up so that there can be no misunderstandings if people like Peerie Bryan answer and then rumours are quashed.

I'm never posting on this thread again so you can all be highly delighted about that; after all, it would appear that having an interest in a community venture isn't permitted.

Bryan, thanks for your replies.

I'm not sure of the impact on the halls, but nothing would ever change if that was the way we looked at life.

Electricity? What about the impact on the Tilly lamp industry?

Flying? What about the impact on shipping?

Much of the market that the halls have is very much locally based, Mareel won't have an impact on that. It's really one-off events that might affect the halls, but I don't think it should be too significant.

That is my opinion only, someone may be along with an active involvement with halls that has some knowledge on the matter.

what impact has the mareel had on the income of the halls.
As has been mentioned several times in this thread recently, since Mareel's opening there has been many events in country halls by visiting artists which have been made possible because of events in Mareel.

Not having a go at you Palulb, but I've been waiting for folk to start blaming Mareel for a perceived downturn in use of some country halls. However, over the many years I've been attending events in the halls I've noticed a tail off in the number of, and attendances at, some types of event long before Mareel.

I've spoken to a lot of folk about this phenomena and reasons for it. Some of the most commonly mentioned are increasingly strict licensing laws, committee volunteer fatigue (the amount of legal hoops they have to jump through is ridiculous) and folk going into town to have a meal and/or visit the pubs during their night out. Never once have I heard Mareel being blamed - but unsurprisingly, the usual Mareel detractors are the first folk to start these rumours without providing evidence.

So lets not blame Mareel, unless there is reason or evidence to do so, for a trend that was happening long before the doors opened.

Obviously you've never heard that the best way to silence your critics is to get them on side.

By discussing/asking for information, it clears things up so that there can be no misunderstandings if people like Peerie Bryan answer and then rumours are quashed.

I'm never posting on this thread again so you can all be highly delighted about that; after all, it would appear that having an interest in a community venture isn't permitted.

God I really hope so, could u stretch it to a few more threads too! Cheers

Guest tiodylb17

God I really hope so, could u stretch it to a few more threads too! Cheers

:) good one !

Well I am not "highly delighted". Have learned a bit about Mareel from answers to your questions and I was looking forward to your review (good or bad) from the first event you go to at Mareel.......there will be a first won't there?

There is having an interest and then there is going on and on and on about the same subjects, i suggest acutally visiting the mareel (if you even have yet as you didnt anwser my question) and asking the right people. Also asking the sic questions too. Hopefully we can all just drop it and just start using the venue to keep it going.

The answer to the the question about US visiting the Mareel is no, she has not, according to her posts. I believe there is a cost issue, according to her posts.

May be the request for a free visit? :evil:

There have been a number of points raised, mainly by those who do not like the Mareel. Generally, once subjected to a little scrutiny, seem only very poor attempts at rubbishing the work of others. Of course, the posts and questions are purely to protect the public and its purse.

This leads me to wonder, the stance on employees US has as regards costs, if they are spending their time answering totally useless and meaningless questions, if folk stopped, I wonder how much would be saved.

Shetland is lucky. While the ConDemNation cuts are closing Arts facilities, as they are here where I live, you have a great new venue and facility which any one with faculties at any level can use.

I think it would be great to start a community radio station, run by volunteers, the Mareel already has the available resources. It would be grand me thinks, though, it would have to be web based. The powers that dictate RF power levels and dipole hight can be a little constrictive.