Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

@Shetlandpeat. This meeting is too important to the Shetland public to be covered by just a minute. It's the last item on the agenda so perhaps a way could be found to exempt any commercially confidential information from public viewing?

I have no wish to get create halls v mareel, but to answer your question, I would think that each of the 52 'public' or community halls are owned by their community.

With regard to the original funding, I understood that the SIC was assured that no further funds would be asked for, following the initial grant funding for the capital costs.

Recent decisions by SIC councillors have shown that the days of 'the council should release funds, especially of they in turn release other funds' are over. Many councillors have also made it clear that funding for non-statutory spending will no longer be considered.

I disagree that there's 'hatred against a cinema.....' Merely a desire to see a sustainable business that can stand on its' own two feet. I know of at lease one community-owned building in Shetland with a decent business plan that secured a commercial loan to help its' purchase. Why can't a similar 'public' building, exceeding cinema sales etc and expected to return a small surplus, do the same?

So the council are asking for more funds for Mareel whilst announcing they are cutting the number of ferries to the outer isles.

Ironic really, as Mareel is out of bounds to many from the outer isles due to the current ferry timetable, and will be even more so when the cuts come in.

I therefore suspect that if you could see where the votes come from for each option in the poll attached to this thread, it would be those in and around Lerwick that want yet more money poured into Mareel, and those on the outer isles having a different set of priorities, that include being able to travel, and being able to move around the isles in the case of emergencies.

I know where I would rather my money was spent.

Councils normally leave exempt items to the last in meetings. If they are going to discuss the financial arrangements of another it is a matter of course, even if the another is a public body or funded by the public.

Sometimes a broad hammer.

I would wonder if a commercial loan is in the best interests of the stakeholders. If there are future problems, it could mean a public space is taken over by a private lender, they would only want a quick end and with costs paid, presumably from the public purse. I would also wonder if other loans would be more beneficial than a high interest commercial one. It would again be wrong to pay such charges when a better deal can be obtained to further enhance both parties. Though, it may then need another committee to monitor. I am also worried that the Governance of the deal could not be controlled with the mechanism already in place.

Last I remember was that Sound Hall was owned privately, that was some time ago, or it could be another hall.

I would like to see both funded, there are grants from the EU that could help as well as the Big Lottery or similar. Though as money for grants dries up, there may be a battle to get some. I work on a community bids panel, what I find hard to comprehend is the quantity of bidders, quite small when you think how much is needed to be done and some of those who do bit are bigger national charities and some just trying their luck. what it does show, is the lack of information about finding grants to do these sorts of works. Revenue grants are over stretched where as capital grants are under spent. A capital grant is far more sustainable than a revenue on and easier to evidence.

Aaron Foord i live in Lerwick and can tell you my vote is no.

Simply put the promise was no more cash would be asked for so that's how it should remain.

Fair's fair, let Shetland Arts sort this out for themselves whatever way they need to be it having to get outside help (ie a loan).

Agree with above posters that the honeymoon will end eventually so what happens after that?, and further more Jaws, Gremlins, Home Alone & god forbid Lawrence of Arabia are not going to pack the place out now are they?

Sod it they may as well go the whole hog and get the Great Escape and Dr Zhivago onboard too.... :roll:

Aaron Foord i live in Lerwick and can tell you my vote is no.

Simply put the promise was no more cash would be asked for so that's how it should remain.

Fair's fair, let Shetland Arts sort this out for themselves whatever way they need to be it having to get outside help (ie a loan).

Agree with above posters that the honeymoon will end eventually so what happens after that?, and further more Jaws, Gremlins, Home Alone & god forbid Lawrence of Arabia are not going to pack the place out now are they?

Sod it they may as well go the whole hog and get the Great Escape and Dr Zhivago onboard too.... :roll:

I applaud and agree Suuusssiiieee!![/img]

its nearly christmas. how about a sound of music special showing.

how can there snack area require improvement by the food standard agency. is should still be nice and shiny.

did i hear right they are employing their own door staff. seems extreme for a cultural venue. not trying to be a night club are they. hire them in if they are going to get iffy music groups in like the accordion or fiddle clubs.

the team from shetland art kept telling us that they were on budget even with the delays. were has this short fall come from. and who is going to pay the law suit when its settled against the arts trust.

its owned by shetland arts i think, but arent they another offshoot of the SIC?

Shetland Arts are an independent body. They receive some funding from the Charitable Trust. One councillor, Mark Burgess was a trustee, but he has resigned.

I couldn't answer for every community hall in Shetland, but the ones I know of are held in trust, with trustees elected at an AGM.

its nearly christmas. how about a sound of music special showing.

Would prefer The Rocky Horror Picture Show..

Hint.. Mareel :D

In the meantime December has a few awesome Cult films..

It's a Wonderful Life..

Starring James Stewart.

Lovely christmas classic.

Gremlins, Home Alone, The Muppets Christmas Carol and Jaws!

Fantastic films over the christmas period Mareel..

living on Fetlar its irelevant to us. being disabled as well the trip to lerwick is hard. There is no chance of us getting there and back in a day. also i'm told there is no way to sit with hubby as wheelchair users are segregated away from careers. told don't know so don't shout at me.