Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

But unfortunately I fear this is only the tip of a very big iceberg!

Almost without a doubt, given that DITT and SA are reportedly still arguing over (according to DITT) "several hundered of thousands". Nobody can say the £1.2 Million they've just been handed will be the last, when no final price has been thrashed out. Didn't SA at some point claim as well that the final cost wouldn't be known for "up to a year after completion" anyway. Given that some of this £1.2 Million is to allow "construction to be completed", when does that one year clock start from....

I'm glad we have the venue part of Mareel at least, even if it does appear to have underperformed badly and has been underutilised so far, and the "add on's" are by all account failing miserably. For the the overall facility we've ended up obtaining in Mareel, I believe the £12.1 Million price tag was the rip off of the century - where in hell do you manage to spend that kind of money and end up with so little - and more to the point, how much more would we have gotten for that same money had the whole thing been a fit for purpose design on fit for purpose site(s). Elevating the cost now to £13.3 Million of public funds is just adding insult to injury. Only one over-riding issue now holds water, stopping any more of our money vanishing down a bottomless pit.

It could have so much better and so much cheaper - FFS Hodgies shed was up for circa £600,000 and Judane already owed the SIC 60+% of its value, how much would it have cost to have bunged a stage, a bar/cafe, some side seating etc in it.

I wrote a while ago that the reason I have not yet been to Mareel was that when I tried to book a cinema ticket on-line at Shetland Box Office I was unable to do so with no reason given........and yes there was money in my account.

And today I tried using a click-able link fro the Shetland Arts page to Kollifirbolli's facebook page. Did not work........just got a 404 message on Shetland Arts site. These people need to get their act together or frankly Mareel is doomed and that would be a pity.

As you know. S.O.s stand and are meant to be adheared to. Imagine changing the rules whenever it suits. You then become a car driver with little regard forothers. What did you say to your councilor to convince them to vote against, anyone?

Council Standing Orders can be suspended. Is it not the case that under Section 70 (or is it Section 50?) regarding such confidential matters it refers to legislation set out in the Companies Act? Does the Companies Act cover charities because SADA is a charity, not a company. Or is Mareel a company owned by SADA? Right now, I haven't got time to research this point in detail. I fail to see why all of the report put before the council is confidential and at present, I'm still of the view that at least part of the meeting could have been held in public, which Standing Orders allow for.

I left a message for my councillor when it was announced that Mareel (or was it SADA?) were seeking extra dosh and have spoken since.

Further edit:-

According to Companies House, at least part of Mareel's activities are a company:-

Name & Registered Office:

SHETLAND ARTS IP C.I.C.

MAREEL LERWICK

SHETLAND

ZE1 0WQ

UNITED KINGDOM

Company No. SC404044

Date of Incorporation: 25/07/2011

Country of Origin: United Kingdom

Company Type: Community Interest Company

Nature of Business (SIC):

58110 - Book publishing

59111 - Motion picture production activities

59120 - Motion picture, video and television programme post-production activities

59200 - Sound recording and music publishing activities

Accounting Reference Date: 31/03

Last Accounts Made Up To: (NO ACCOUNTS FILED)

Next Accounts Due: 31/12/2012

Last Return Made Up To: 25/07/2012

Next Return Due: 22/08/2013

Last Members List: 25/07/2012

So whilst this (I assume) doesn't cover all of Mareel's activities, if they have information on SADA's Mareel website which currently just shows SADA's charity registration number, they also have to display the CIC's company no. on the relevant pages.

Which begs the question: how are the finances split?

why is it no been published how da councillors hav voted?

The new Shetland Islands Council of Fools followed the previous SIC down the road of no credibility. Not because they voted a vast sum to Mareel, but because they did it skulking behind closed doors.

Why did they do it in secret session? Because if they had their meeting in public then not one of those who voted in favour could be seen in future to vote against any request for funding or any budget cut.

So what are the ‘stringent conditions’? One condition should be that the all over-60s and disabled people who use the Freefield Centre five days a week should be able to have all their meals and see all the films they want in Mareel for free – after all they have paid for it.

I wrote a while ago that the reason I have not yet been to Mareel was that when I tried to book a cinema ticket on-line at Shetland Box Office I was unable to do so with no reason given........and yes there was money in my account.

And today I tried using a click-able link fro the Shetland Arts page to Kollifirbolli's facebook page. Did not work........just got a 404 message on Shetland Arts site. These people need to get their act together or frankly Mareel is doomed and that would be a pity.

Sounds more like a problem on your end. I've been able to book many things through Mareel/Shetland Box Office website with absolutely no problem. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about that.

Nah, just a lack of class and self-control by the quoter.

Oh, I assure you - I'm fully in control.

That may be, but fully in control of what exactly.

And I think making an inference where there is pretty clearly no inference to be made is idiotic. But go ahead and get your knickers in a knot if you want.

No more idiotic than the SA head honcho publically accusing the main contractor of purposely and needlessly sucking the contract budget dry - Unprofessional much.

I don't do Transvestite Tuesday, so I'm a bit light in the knickers department to have any to get in a wad.

Sounds more like a problem on your end. I've been able to book many things through Mareel/Shetland Box Office website with absolutely no problem. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about that.

Granted, a while back, but it wouldn't let me book online and I had to do a telephone booking (Shetland Box Office). In fact, it was so troublesome that the lovely woman on the end of the phone had problems and called me back.

Nope!. I buy things on-line frequently using one of two debit cards and have only had one problem in the past which was sorted.

No more idiotic than the SA head honcho publically accusing the main contractor of purposely and needlessly sucking the contract budget dry -

Ah, but how really is that any different than the main contractor accusing SADA of constantly changing the design, etc.

Like you, I think the decision not to award the public halls finance that was in place and budgeted for is deplorable, but I don't believe it's anything to do with SADA, Mareel or any combination of the two. That's just the SIC making a complete hash of things and trying to save money, even when it's not actually going to help in any way, shape or form.

The fact Mareel seems to have gone overbudget is unfortunate, as is having to ask for the extra monies. I doubt anyone at SADA wanted that outcome. However, I would suggest there's probably more to all this (the dispute between SADA & DITT) than has so far been made available in the public domain and as such, until we're in full possession of the facts, endless speculation and finger pointing is pretty pointless.