Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

An excellent letter http://www.shetnews.co.uk/letters/6001-invest-in-mareel

It really does hit the nail on the head.

No, it doesn't 'hit the nail on the head'. I'm awaiting the outcome of the forensic accountants getting their paws on all the documentation concerning the alleged changes to the specifications because no doubt they'll all be documented. Interesting that Gibbons states that SADA didn't put pressure on the independent contract administrator.

http://www.keatingchambers.co.uk/resources/publications/2006/contract_administrators.aspx

Edit: Has anyone else noted that the report in the Shetland News has changed somewhat from their first item on this? Gibbons was quoted as saying different to what is published on there now.

I wrote a while ago that the reason I have not yet been to Mareel was that when I tried to book a cinema ticket on-line at Shetland Box Office I was unable to do so with no reason given........and yes there was money in my account.

And today I tried using a click-able link fro the Shetland Arts page to Kollifirbolli's facebook page. Did not work........just got a 404 message on Shetland Arts site. These people need to get their act together or frankly Mareel is doomed and that would be a pity.

Sounds more like a problem on your end. I've been able to book many things through Mareel/Shetland Box Office website with absolutely no problem. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about that.

there is a known issue with some people and using their cards. myself being one tried all my cards all with cash ( amazingly i know ) and all failed but yet i can order things from any other website i choose too

edit: i will add i have tried for two different films and am starting to get a little peeved that it is taking them over a month to get this fixed.. but as its just around the corner as i am a lucky toonie i can wonder round and purchase at the desk

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/6021-not-a-grant%E2%80%A6not-a-loan

Is it a Grant? Is it Loan? No it’s a BUNG!

If SADA defaults (i.e. loose the court case) then the SIC will pick up the tab and so will own the building. In about three years the outside of this building (now SIC owned) will have to be re-clad due to salt corrosion – and who will pay for that? Answers on the back of a £50 note to your local councillor.

I have had problems with my Clydesdale card at some places. It seems, from what my local supermarkets has said that it is not them, nor my bank. Something to do with the handling of the transaction by the intermediary.
Well as it happens it was a Clydesdale card I was using but frankly if Mareel cannot accept a card issued by a bank in Lerwick they ought to rethink their system.

On 10th November, Unlinked Student wrote:

I'm never posting on this thread again so you can all be highly delighted about that

Hmm. :roll:

You never heard of a woman's perogative to change her mind then eh? Besides, I started re-posting when it was Mareel BO thread and they merged. :wink:

You never heard of a woman's perogative to change her mind then eh? Besides, I started re-posting when it was Mareel BO thread and they merged. :wink:

I'm disappointed. I thought a highly principled person like yourself would stick to their guns and not u-turn on a decision or use gender to get places :wink:

I am lost, did anyone answer about the ownership of the halls. If they are community owned, then the committee running it should be searching all avenues for funding, not just relying on the council. If they, or some are privately owned, then it is up to the owner. If they are owned by the council, then the council have a duty to maintain them. Is the suggestion that the council have not maintained the halls they are responsible for?

The implication that you are an idiot seems to have been made by the alteration GR. Naughty editing.

I think you did get and answer, but in case i'm wrong, i believe ALL community halls in Shetland are 'owned' by either independent Trusts or community groups of some form or other. None of the halls are owned by the council. Many (if not all) halls will have had some support grants for capital expenditure to upgrade/build new facilities in the past 30 years or more.

The key here is that none of the halls are the councils responsibility.

Lots of community halls spend many days closed and empty...the comparison isn’t correct.