Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

And maybe, once you stop being a patronising little shît, you'll realise that there's far more to this case than you're aware of.

Precisely! So when someone comes on completely vindicating one party's stance and slaughtering the other's, without providing the slightest supporting evidence as to why this is allegely do. They will be called on it and accused of talking shîte.

Not everyone "not in the know" is ignorant enough to not know that numerous design and spec changes were made while the job was ongoing, a quick glance at the original plans vs. what actually is on site is all that's needed for that, and those need paying for, by the client. Likewise a lot of folk aren't naive, blinkered or gullible enough to swallow hook, line and sinker all the hype and propaganda being spouted. Especially given the lengthy track record of the contractor, and the chaotic unprofessional fiasco surrounding the numerous failed attempted openings of Mareel during the summer and the operating "issues" that have come to light once it finally was open.

If you are party to information that (as you appear to claim) vindicates the client and condems the contractor, then kindly put up, or shut up. As this attempted "I know better than all of you, but I ain't telling you nuttin..." makes you come over as a shît-stirring troll.

Nothing happens on a building site without these

http://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Architect's_instruction

Or a CVI/VI. So it ain't uncommon for delays to occur because the contractor has to wait for these to be issued.

No, you're certainly not ready for the big school, yet.

Once you start secondary school you'll start to grasp basic concepts about the bilateral nature of contracts and the respective duies of the parties.

And maybe, once you stop being a patronising little shît, you'll realise that there's far more to this case than you're aware of.

Now now peoples play nice please, its an emotive subject I know but no need for personal insults.

As for the subject, well remember it is possible to be a "Mareel supporter", as I am no doubt labelled, yet still be disappointed in what appears to be poor or inexperienced handling of the contract.

Of course, over time, other things may come to light, but at the moment the facts in the public domain are that DITT are the experienced party, quietly going about their business as one would expect, and getting what they are obviously entitled to.

SA, so far, not so much.

The SIC's sensible insistence on close scrutiny of the assistance they really had little choice but to grant is also telling, and may prove to be a very good thing.

I hope by now all but the most cynical can see Mareel will be a success, in itself and its considerable contribution to the Islands in social, educational and economic areas, but that doesn't mean things couldn't have been done better.

^ Aye. As I've said before more than once, I support Mareel in principle. I have just reached a point where I'm struggling to see it surviving, never mind achieve its full potential given the current stance of some of the parties involved.

Its undisputed that the job has gone someplace it shouldn't have, blame lies somewhere, and those responsible need to be called to account. Between the Court and the Council picking over it we may happen to find out what and who in time. Accusatory finger pointing and "it wisna me, I didna dae it" rhetoric coming from the top of SA does not help anyone, few are dumb enough to swallow it, it was their job, and their responsibility to look after it, some blame is unavoidably theirs, neither does folk who will listen to no ill against one party, but happily grinds the other in to the ground, yet provides no evidence as to why this should be so.

Whats in the public domian proves nothing apart from the fact that there are far too many unanswered questions about something that should never have happened, unless information is forthcoming that further helps to answer any of them, any other rhetoric is just a distraction and smoke screen.

It's interesting to note that most folk here seem to be laying the blame squarely at the Arts Trusts door, when the details of their court action aren't yet public. I dare say they have a strong case or they wouldn't be pursuing it - maybe I'm wrong...., but I think it's premature for folk to start portioning blame when the facts aren't known yet.

Let's keep in mind the number of contractors who went bust during the build, and 'bad weather' delays which, whilst not DITTs fault, it was their responsibility. I don't mean to have a pop at DITT, but some of their other projects have gone over time/budget too (which isn't unusual for any project in Shetland or elsewhere). Does anyone know how over time/budget the museum went?

Two sides etc etc

Whatever way you look at it, it's sad to see a local charity and a local contractor resorting to court action. Even worse is the exchanges in the local media, but I suppose that's inevitable when the media are hungry for a story.

The SIC's sensible insistence on close scrutiny of the assistance they really had little choice but to grant is also telling, and may prove to be a very good thing.

Interesting point. I wonder why the SIC haven't been keeping a closer eye on things if they did have concerns, particulalry since they were the main funders. As I recall, a sub-committee of councillors (if that's the right terminology) was set up a couple of years ago to keep an eye on the project and report back to full council. Surely they should have had an eye on things?

So, the SIC is to be scrutinising the Mareel business plan for fiscal probity in advance of a decision on whether to advance funds, be it a grant or a loan or an overdraft facility? Surely, the SIC really ought to know the nature of the proposed financial transaction before it embarks upon such scrutiny particularly in view of its track record - Norrona, AHS, Bressay Bridge ... the SIC etc?

• 2 weeks later...
Just wondering who saw the Nutcracker today and what did they think about it? was it a pre-recorded performance or a live link to a performance? I know there was a planned live link to 300 cinemas over 30 countries on 13th December.

Family went to see it. They loved it. It was a recorded performance of the live show from the 13th, so what you were seeing was a live recording.

Yes i see they have fairly hocked up the prices of the gold and silver cards for the pleasure of it too, they announced the changes on facebook and got a barage of complaints. (well apart from the fan, we can do anything crowd) It's a very fine line setting prices without pricing yourself out of the market.

Having to fork out, up front, nearly £300 will knock a lot of folk out of the market, just think how many DVD's you could buy for the same money, going thats we only waite a couple of months for them, or even a blockbuster/love film rental contract for the same money and thats right to your door.