Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Yes i see they have fairly hocked up the prices of the gold and silver cards for the pleasure of it too, they announced the changes on facebook and got a barage of complaints. (well apart from the fan, we can do anything crowd) It's a very fine line setting prices without pricing yourself out of the market.

Having to fork out, up front, nearly £300 will knock a lot of folk out of the market, just think how many DVD's you could buy for the same money, going thats we only waite a couple of months for them, or even a blockbuster/love film rental contract for the same money and thats right to your door.

True, I'll not be renewing my Gold Card at the new prices. I think their review of the service has included assumptions that many of the people who had cards for the intitial 3-month period would have watched all the films they did as paying customers without the gold/silver card offer?

They stated on FB that a fee is paid to the distributor for every seat taken at screenings, regardless of whether it was essentially a 'free seat'. Worringly, this makes it sound like they'd rather the seats were empty than taken up by Gold/Silver Card holders?

I made a very rough calculation on my own personal expenditure at Mareel this past 3 months and between my Gold Card subscription and the money I spent each time I visited it worked out around £60-£70/month! I would imagine I'll now spend about £10/month there instead.

Sadly, I think this is a shot in the foot for Mareel but I guess time will tell.

• 1 month later...

Had my first experience of Mareel this weekend. Can say I was less than impressed.

Haven't seen the auditorium yet, just the bar and cinema. The cinema was fine but the cafe bar.... OMG!

Hopefully there's another room they use as the bar area for concerts as this area is woefully inadequate. But even if there is, the staff either need some training or a real whipcracker to ensure that the training they should have received is followed stringently. After all, this is Shetlands 'premier' music venue and a negative report from the environmental office (which they would fully deserve on what was witnessed this weekend) could be devastating to a business that is under pressure to prove it's buoyancy.

I hear that Mareel has now been given the nickname of " The Grave yard!" by the young people of Lerwick. .

I also heard that certain musical styles are being turned away when certain promoters have made enquiries as to getting bands lined up?

Have gigs been poorly attended , with less than 50% attendance on many occasions?

Watching for the next financial bailout..........

Picture hoose bit is surely still gettin bums on seats.

I hear that Mareel has now been given the nickname of " The Grave yard!" by the young people of Lerwick ...

Now there's an idea - why didn't they call it that in the first place? It's not too late for a total re-branding exercise. Paint it black! Matt black interior, black chairs, black tables, a few numb skulls knocking around ... sounds good to me!

Besides, the dead slow service in the cafe would fit in rather nicely. (And before anyone jumps down my throat, there's over 20 comments on the slow service, dirty plates, etc., on their Facebook page).

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/6351-mareels-future-hangs-in-the-balance

Looks like our esteemed councillors might have given Mareel another handout to protect their 'investment'

Well that is a surprise, I predicted it would be a couple of years before they needed a further public handout, another money pit to add to their fleet.

Looks like our esteemed councillors might have given Mareel another handout to protect their 'investment'

What goes on in the heads of our councillors there all gassing on about how we have to make these drastic cuts to keep going...Keep what going Mareel..???

Its pathetic they can hand out money to a white elephant like mareel that's always going to be looking for handouts all the time how can they possibly have face to keep throwing public money at mareel when people are being threatened with losing there jobs and care homes / schools being closed

Jonathan Wills said on the radio they have to look after there investment its funny he never mentioned that when Smyril line pulled out off Shetland or does that not count in his eyes..??

What goes on in the heads of our councillors there all gassing on about how we have to make these drastic cuts to keep going...Keep what going Mareel..???

Its pathetic they can hand out money to a white elephant like mareel that's always going to be looking for handouts all the time how can they possibly have face to keep throwing public money at mareel when people are being threatened with losing there jobs and care homes / schools being closed

Jonathan Wills said on the radio they have to look after there investment its funny he never mentioned that when Smyril line pulled out off Shetland or does that not count in his eyes..??

^^ Are you one of those that'll argue their corner even after being shown proof of the shortfallings or can you be neutral?

Next time I go I'll be taking video evidence of how poorly the staff can operate a bar. If you're interested in evidence and not just your own opinion, I'll send it to you.

No...I’m realist i.e. I try to be optimist, even when difficult to be so. Re Mareel we’ve spent the money, so in my opinion it must work. Also, Mareel has a ‘Bar,’ but it isn’t a ‘Bar’, thank heavens!, we’ve plenty of them...and they are all rubbish!