Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/6351-mareels-future-hangs-in-the-balance

Looks like our esteemed councillors might have given Mareel another handout to protect their 'investment'

What goes on in the heads of our councillors there all gassing on about how we have to make these drastic cuts to keep going...Keep what going Mareel..???

Its pathetic they can hand out money to a white elephant like mareel that's always going to be looking for handouts all the time how can they possibly have face to keep throwing public money at mareel when people are being threatened with losing there jobs and care homes / schools being closed

Jonathan Wills said on the radio they have to look after there investment its funny he never mentioned that when Smyril line pulled out off Shetland or does that not count in his eyes..??

Why don’t you stand and stop moaning.

Also, Mareel has a ‘Bar,’ but it isn’t a ‘Bar’, thank heavens!, we’ve plenty of them...and they are all rubbish!

Bit like Mareel has a 'cafe' but it isn't a 'cafe' - where the hell else does it take weeks to purchase mugs with handles? I think Harry should run it, he'd make a profit. Besides, you wouldn't have to wait for mugs as he'd supply them from the Harrods of the North. :wink:

Thank goodness there's other cafes/eateries in Shetland!

Assuming that the Shetland News article is accurate(?);

When did the SIC invest £6M in Mareel? My recollection is that it was Grant Funding and NOT an investment which would be expected to return a profit.

Shetland Arts are having a 'spat' with DITT. So what? It is not unusual for building projects to finish late and over budget. It happens all the time and most people with a little wit factor this into their costings.

The SIC have a plan forward?. Are we to believe that the SIC runs Shetland Arts who I have been led to understand are an independent body?

The only way I can see that being swallowed is if the SIC are telling them "you want more money.. This is what you will do for it"

“Shetland Islands Council today agreed a plan to secure the future of the Mareel building as a centre for education, culture and the arts"

HA HA HA...

Closing with the oldest chestnut in the book..

“Because we have to discuss commercially sensitive matters it's not possible for the council to say anything more now.â€

SIC are messing about with public money and, as far as I am concerned, the public (you and me et al) have a right to know what they intend to do with it.

Commercial Sensitivity, probably just to save someone a little embarrassment, is just wrong.

Why are there hardly any gigs/shows on ?

You have a Johnny Cash tribute guy on the 1st of March , then nothing listed until the 29th March , so three full weekends with nothing on ?

Why dont they put on three of our best local acts in between , least it would bring in a bit of money , ie Scaldin Bragg, Revellers or even a few local djs, it seems a strange way to run a music venue ?

When is somebody just going to come straight out and say what it is exactly that is wrong with Mareel's venue?

Clearly local promoters aren't overly chuffed with the place, given that the most they seem willing to risk on it is one or two gigs in a month. As 1979 Sheltie says, the place is lying idle more than its in use. This is winter, black nights and crappy weather, folk for the most part want indoor entertainment, in summer the customer base will be far less with sports and doos and sprees and foys and holidays. If its not worth putting stuff on right now, there will be no point putting anything on in summer at all.

If the jungle drums are to be believed there's only been one sell out show in the five months since it opened, and an attendee at a more niche interest one suggested publically that the audience of circa 50 they were part of should be considered a "good" turnout.... This is not painting a very rosy pic of a 700 odd capacity state of the art venue.... Surely if local promoters are playing wary, management could organise something for at least one weekend night per week, as long as it breaks even they do not need to achieve anything better than that - it would all help towards placing Mareel on the "whaur'll we geen dis helly den?" list in folk's minds. As is, its still new, folk are only going to remember it's a potential watering hole when there's something special on there to drag them in, which equals more promoting and more work for the organisers. It needs the leg work of regular somethings every weekend to establish it as a "whit's on at.....?" item in folks minds.

Why has it been so laclustre so far, bad facilities, bad choice of acts, what?

Why are there hardly any gigs/shows on ?

You have a Johnny Cash tribute guy on the 1st of March , then nothing listed until the 29th March , so three full weekends with nothing on ?

Why dont they put on three of our best local acts in between , least it would bring in a bit of money , ie Scaldin Bragg, Revellers or even a few local djs, it seems a strange way to run a music venue ?

Absolutely!!! I would suggst those 2 bands, who are already well established, could headline a Saturday night each and have some up and coming bands supporting. There is also the First Foot Soldiers, who could easily hold their own headlining. Those nights you would get close to sell outs, granted, these bands may have other things on and they can't play every weekend but as i said they would be stone wall sell outs. The cinema seems to be holding it's own, unfortunately the music part is letting it down hugely.

In response to the last few posts, could it not also be the case that if you were a promoter you wouldn't want to risk splashing out dosh and all the capital layout that goes with planning a gig in advance given the current uncertainty of the venue's future?

In response to the last few posts, could it not also be the case that if you were a promoter you wouldn't want to risk splashing out dosh and all the capital layout that goes with planning a gig in advance given the current uncertainty of the venue's future?

Not sure how it all works US, but i don't see it closing down anytime soon so organising a gig with some of the bands I mentioned above shouldn't be to much of a risk?

I suppose If you were going to take up a large name from south then that obviously has a larger lay out and will take months of organising, If you're a promoter and worried about Mareel being open in that time then I suppose you wouldn't chance it.

I can only assume that many of the posts about Mareel being underused are from folk who don't actually go to Mareel.

I've been to several music events that appear to have been sold out in the auditorium (and others that haven't), and there's regular music events on in the cafe bar each week (jazz on Sundays, trad sessions, DJs on Fridays, monthly singer songwriter nights, informal concerts etc). That's without mentioning the cinema which has been well attended every time I've been in and the cafe which seems to be busy most times I'm in to (usually the afternoon).

If folk want to see specific bands playing, why don't they organise the concerts themselves?

In all seriousness, how many of the people complaining here about Mareel being underused have actually been to any/many events?? To be honest, I can't see how folk think it's underused, but that's just from my own experience as a not particularly regular customer.

I had my doubts about the project at the beginning, and I wouldn't consider myself as a convert, but come of folks - it seems like there's moaning going on for the sake of moaning without anything to back it up.