Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

^ You asked if it was true. If you know the answer, why ask?

SIC have agreed a way forward with SA but the exact details have yet to be made public. It could well be that the wages are coming out of that package, so it could be a case hypothetically speaking that funds have been transferred to SA from SIC and, in turn, if SIC administer the payroll then they pay on behalf of SA.

What the hell is wrong with you bunch of moaning pr(cks!!?? Some of the things people are crying over on here must be more to do with venting emotion because of personal problems or the fact they have boring, unhappy lives. How on earth can you lot get so upset over trivial teething problems experienced by a company which is obviously working extremely hard to provide pleasure and enjoyment to (mostly ungrateful) peoples lives. We don't deserve such an amazing, professionally run venue if all people can say is 'oooh the website didn't accept my card so I not going now', 'oooh they're so unprofessional' (most people up her haven't experienced professional service locally so when they are faced with it they assume the opposite), 'oooh they don't show any decent films', 'there hasn't been anything on that interests me' etc etc etc! You people would complain if you sh@t out diamonds because 'oooh it makes sitting down to read the paper a bit uncomfortable'. There a despicable desperation from some folk here to see others fail. It disgusts me.

Thank you for your time

U can have my time anyday, I like u! Straight to the point and totally relevant to this thread if not the whole forum!

What the hell is wrong with you bunch of moaning pr(cks!!?? Some of the things people are crying over on here must be more to do with venting emotion because of personal problems or the fact they have boring, unhappy lives. How on earth can you lot get so upset over trivial teething problems experienced by a company which is obviously working extremely hard to provide pleasure and enjoyment to (mostly ungrateful) peoples lives. We don't deserve such an amazing, professionally run venue if all people can say is 'oooh the website didn't accept my card so I not going now', 'oooh they're so unprofessional' (most people up her haven't experienced professional service locally so when they are faced with it they assume the opposite), 'oooh they don't show any decent films', 'there hasn't been anything on that interests me' etc etc etc! You people would complain if you sh@t out diamonds because 'oooh it makes sitting down to read the paper a bit uncomfortable'. There a despicable desperation from some folk here to see others fail. It disgusts me.

Thank you for your time

U can have my time anyday, I like u! Straight to the point and totally relevant to this thread if not the whole forum!

Thank you for your time

Thank you for your time

• 3 weeks later...

Mareel shortlisted for RIAS Awards 2013

Gareth Hoskins said “we’re thrilled that Mareel, having received so much positive feedback from its users, has now also been shortlisted for these prestigious awards and are delighted to have the opportunity to show the judges around.â€

There are many aspects of mareel I enjoy. I love that shetland has a great cinema with varied screenings, and I applaud the attempts by Shetland Arts to bring up a diverse (although in some cases commercially unviable) selections of acts to their impressive music venue.

However, I think it takes a special type of spectator to conclude that, externally, this building is anything other than an eye-sore; an ill-conceived hulk that fails utterly to represent the quality of the facilities within.

I think it takes a special type of spectator to conclude that, externally, this building is anything other than an eye-sore; an ill-conceived hulk that fails utterly to represent the quality of the facilities within.

Given that RIAS are made up of architects, and they're the one's nominating Mareel for the award, I think it's safe to conclude they don't agree.

I think the building matches very well with the other developments along the North Ness. But people said the new TSB building was an eyesore 20-odd years ago - now no-one bats an eyelid. Same with the Clickamin.

Just because you don't personally like the design, that doesn't mean it's rubbish, or an eyesore or whatever. Beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder.

Just because you don't personally like the design, that doesn't mean it's rubbish, or an eyesore or whatever. Beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm hardly alone in this regard. Most people I've spoken to find the exterior of the building pretty bleak. I personally just think it's unfortunate as, otherwise, I've always been very much in favour of the project. I also hold similar views regarding the Scottish Parliament building, though doubtless the 'experts' would know more about these things than us plebs, yeah?