Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

• 2 weeks later...

I tried this and it told me I could not get to and from any films by bus. Then I discovered that they have made a mess of our listings showing some journeys as a 24 and others as a 26 (not offering return trips on the same page) but if they sort this out and keep the thing up to date I guess it will be great for people who do not normally catch the buses to or from town.

• 1 month later...

When dey opened first, dey wir a whole page in the Shetland Times each week o films on, but seems to be much less now.

After a lot of people went initially to try it out, is today's usage level enough to sustain this?

Ok, I like Mareel, but the film schedule has gone to the dogs. How many showings of The Great Gatsby do we need? It's not a specially great film, there is no justification for it, and by the way it's pants in 3D too. I might have gone to the pictures several times over the past week, if only there had been some variety. A bit of an error in the programming I think.

Ok, I like Mareel, but the film schedule has gone to the dogs. How many showings of The Great Gatsby do we need? It's not a specially great film, there is no justification for it, and by the way it's pants in 3D too. I might have gone to the pictures several times over the past week, if only there had been some variety. A bit of an error in the programming I think.

Have to agree, though I just checked schedule and wish I'd gone to see Lore. Didn't notice it among wall to wall Gatsby. Think Mareel are obliged to do all these showings if they want a 'big' film on date of release, but I'd rather wait a few weeks than have this overkill.

Have to agree, though I just checked schedule and wish I'd gone to see Lore. Didn't notice it among wall to wall Gatsby. Think Mareel are obliged to do all these showings if they want a 'big' film on date of release, but I'd rather wait a few weeks than have this overkill.

I quite liked the film, but agree 2 weeks is far to much time, films should come for one week only then get out and let something else in. The block booking isnt any good for a 1 main screen cinema. (they said this would not happen when at the planing stages, but now proved wrong)

They can be up to 12 films on the go in a big cinema south and we just aint geting the number of films like they get. Its good what we have but its a shame its just a half job and although we do get the main films we miss tones at the same time. I agree with you about the programming lots of film times are a way and reason why you cant go, than a reason you can, its either only on late, early for you to get there or just on through the week or just at weekends. with the level of films coming id never consider a gold card, when only 2 films might come into the main screen a month. Iv'e not seen anything in the music line id like to pay to watch yet - Im suprised its so much the same type of stuff all the time. Nothing very mainstream or current, although that is a personal view/taste. I think enough has been said about the cafe.

I understand that Mareel are stuck with an agreement with their distributors that they must show films a certain number of times.

Note that this is normal for all cinemas, not just Mareel. It's always a trade off between how early you get the latest films, and flexibility with how and when they are shown.

Compared to similar cinema's south, the variety avaliable here is excellent.