Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Oh dear it all smells a little "desperate" to me. I shouldn't worry though, the well heeled and arty farty brigade will do as their told in a zombie like haze.

Don't get me wrong i have been to a few screenings in Mareel since it opened, and whist accepting the place is now amongst us and must try to keep afloat i hardly was blown away with the place - quite the opposite i was incredibly underwhelmed.

If they get back to releasing decent films people actually want to see instead of the dross of the last few months i would go more often, alas i don't. In the long run the place will take, take, and take again, always in need of that extra helping hand....

I have no beef with the concept of "friends" of anyplace, but I would only think about joining any such scheme if I could see me getting my money's worth.

What's billed in the press reports as the "benefits" hardly has you chomping at the bit here though - £25.00 to get 10% off your popcorn for a year either means the stuff is too expensive already, or you eat some pile of the stuff to get your money's worth. To me its irrelevant, as I cannot abide the stuff. The rest of the "benefits" listed are largely unquantifiable either in kind or monetary terms - priority booking is of questionable worth given there's not exactly been a slew of sell out shows in the near 18 month its been there, and an "exclusive event" could be literally anything, or nothing.... and the free rehearsal space use is fine for anyone with abilities to make use of it, but that by default of the nature of talent is only going to be of any real use to a minority of people.

As a plan, I've met worse, but it needs more selling points to punters to come to much IMHO.

A small popcorn is £1.00 that will require you to buy 250 of them before you break even. Of course you do get a quarterly news letter as a bonus. I wonder what the news letter will consist off as this information will apparently be special and not generally available to "non freinds" or it has little value.

As for free use if the green room. Could this not be better advertised for hire if it is so available.

The whole thing smacks of those with plenty of cash, getting a better service out of a publicly founded facility than those on tight budgets. If I hand over £500 I might get invited to special events! I suppose it will keep us riff raff away from the cheese and wine.

I have supported Mareel as a public facility, but I don't agree with this type of "membership" where folks names are plastered over walls as if they are more important to the arts than those who can afford to visit occasionally. Is it any wonder the term "arty farty brigade" exists?

I'm not against the principal of "freinds" but perhaps this could be those who offer time and assistance at events to help keep the running costs down. That would involve anyone regardless of financial status. I would have little problem in seeing a list of friends on the wall if this were the case.

I think the whole thing needs a rethink.

"The whole thing smacks of those with plenty of cash, getting a better service out of a publicly founded facility than those on tight budgets."

What about Shetland Recreational Trust memberships that give 'better service' and access to the gyms etc? What's the difference? The SRT get a huge annual subsidy from the SIC, unlike Mareel.

"I'm not against the principal of "freinds" but perhaps this could be those who offer time and assistance at events to help keep the running costs down. That would involve anyone regardless of financial status."

I know people who do volunteer with Shetland Arts which sometimes involves helping out at events.

"The whole thing smacks of those with plenty of cash, getting a better service out of a publicly founded facility than those on tight budgets."

What about Shetland Recreational Trust memberships that give 'better service' and access to the gyms etc? What's the difference? The SRT get a huge annual subsidy from the SIC, unlike Mareel.

"I'm not against the principal of "freinds" but perhaps this could be those who offer time and assistance at events to help keep the running costs down. That would involve anyone regardless of financial status."

I know people who do volunteer with Shetland Arts which sometimes involves helping out at events.

If I'm correct the SRT offer a discounted price for those who buy an annual card, they don't charge more for being different, nor do they offer facilities or special treatment to card holders. Any member of the public can book the same facility. The difference is a discount if you sign up for a period if you can afford it.

SRT card holders do not get their names put up on a wall to remind us all how special they are, nor do they get invites to special functions. It's just a different way to pay. So there is a distinct difference.

If there are already folk who volunteer their time for free to Mareel, which helps reduce running costs, then perhaps this should be recognised in some way as well?

• 2 weeks later...

There's lots of 'Friends' groups for lots of different ameneties, charities, trusts etc. Some charge a fee and some you just sign up for.

Some folk are enthusiasts and just like to 'belong' to their favourite pastimes and possibly have a chance to meet up with like minded folk, no big deal in my book. The scheme may or may not attract folk, but that's up to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this Gwilym Gibbons trying to plan a dignified exit from Shetland Arts?  Not before time if it is.

www.creativehelp.org

New company, he is listed as sole director.

It's a load of meaningless BS, but probably the sort of guff that Arties fall for.

Also, why do Shetland Arts no longer publish there board meeting minutes on their website?  They used to do that when they operated in an open fashion.  Guess they no longer feel the need to let the Shetland Public know about their activities unless through their PR person who gushes about everything. 

Is this Gwilym Gibbons trying to plan a dignified exit from Shetland Arts?

www.creativehelp.org

New company, he is listed as sole director.

Good spot.

I'm wondering if this is connected in any way with Shetland Arts' failure to raise the funding for the film Between Weathers which has Gwilym Gibbons listed as the Executive Producer.  They've not been able to accept funding from individuals because of the Financial Services Act and their status as a charity.

Edit: having visited the website, it's obviously a new venture.  Perhaps he is indeed going.

Edited by Stephen C