Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

• 3 months later...

It is, indeed, a lovely venue. We've enjoyed a few afternoon viewings at the cinema. However, as rural residents we are unable to take our daughter to see The Hobbit - subtitled screening on the 15th, which is the only one of any use to her - for her birthday treat because we can no longer book a late enough ferry to get us home again. Film finishes at 2230 and the last ferry from Toft is 2255. 25 mins from Lerwick to Toft, is really not guaranteed to get you there in time. It's a shame and not the same as anywhere else in the UK.

Having said all that, I'm not against Mareel at all- far from it.  I just wish they could look at the bigger picture regarding access for all.

Edited by Selkie

Only the cinema part getting any positive comment so far. Hmmmm......

Meanwhile, awaiting the release of the trading figures for the second full year of operation, now that the facility has (presumably) settled in to a more routine usage pattern that the 'novelty' value has largely waned.

No of course it is not Mareel's fault that my last bus home leaves at the back of 5pm and it is true that I chose to live where I do despite transport problems but that said I am sure other venues organise some sort of rural transport and it might be worth considering.  Might even be something they could get some sort of grant for.  Meanwhile I have no excuse for not going to one of the afternoon screenings except that there are no longer secure lockers to leave my shopping in at the Bus Station so could not combine a film with doing the weekly shop.

Meanwhile, awaiting the release of the trading figures for the second full year of operation, now that the facility has (presumably) settled in to a more routine usage pattern that the 'novelty' value has largely waned.

I assume you're using the same cutting-edge deductive processes (i.e. completely made-up bo||ocks) that you and the other half of the gruesome twosome were using when you were informing us that the car park was nowhere near big enough, that the soundproofing wouldn't be up to the job, that disabled people wouldn't be able to use the venue because the seating rake was too high, etc, etc, along with all the other crap that you've spewed forth on the subject?

Edited by Fatal Paper Cut

I assume you're using the same cutting-edge deductive processes (i.e. completely made-up bo||ocks) that you and the other half of the gruesome twosome were using when you were informing us that the car park was nowhere near big enough, that the soundproofing wouldn't be up to the job, that disabled people wouldn't be able to use the venue because the seating rake was too high, etc, etc, along with all the other crap that you've spewed forth on the subject?

Selective eyesight must be a wonderful thing.....

The car park isn't big enough, fact. Its frequently full. The "back up plan" to cope with overspill, quite frankly IMHO is taking the piss.

Nobody ever said the soundproofing wouldn't be adequate, as nobody would ever divulge what the soundproofing system(s) were. The best anyone would say was, "Trust us, we've had experts design it", which isn't reassuring anyone, given the number of f**k ups so called 'experts' have created and presided over in public works. Whether they're adequate or not, who knows? As there's been next to nothing on that stage so far to test its limitations.

The cinema floor is too steep. I have no interest in films so it doesn't matter personally, but I am disabled, and I sure as hell wouldn't risk my neck going down that lot even if I was the most avid film buff going.

Edited by Ghostrider

Selective eyesight must be a wonderful thing.....

At least it's not like your selective memory....

The car park isn't big enough, fact. Its frequently full. The "back up plan" to cope with overspill, quite frankly IMHO is taking the piss.

Wouldn't the fact the car park is "frequently full" indicate that the building is a success? Can't say I've yet to not find a parking space at Mareel. But given that there are a couple of overspill car parks less than a minute's walk away, I'm not sure how that's so much "taking the piss", as "adequate provision with a workable backup". But as you've no interest in films, and don't apparently find any interest in the live music that does take place, I'm not sure how you're in a position to offer your opinion. Unless you and Mrs Boyle are still ogling the webcams for an evening's entertainment.

Nobody ever said the soundproofing wouldn't be adequate, as nobody would ever divulge what the soundproofing system(s) were. The best anyone would say was, "Trust us, we've had experts design it", which isn't reassuring anyone, given the number of f**k ups so called 'experts' have created and presided over in public works. Whether they're adequate or not, who knows? As there's been next to nothing on that stage so far to test its limitations.

Weird I recall several instances of people demanding to know what the soundproofing would be like. I can only assume it works, since nobody in the houses opposite seems to have moved, leaving empty, abandoned dwellings slowly disintegrating under acoustic assault. Still, experts eh? Tch. What do they know? Apart from their respective fields.

The cinema floor is too steep. I have no interest in films so it doesn't matter personally, but I am disabled, and I sure as hell wouldn't risk my neck going down that lot even if I was the most avid film buff going.

No, its too steep in your opinion. Though seeing as how you have no interest in films, can we assume you don't use it that often? Perhaps you were just having a bad day, disability-wise? I know I do when it's particularly damp, for example. I've yet to find the cinema rake too steep. And it's accessible from both the bottom and the top, if need be - so it's not really a problem if you don't like steps. And there's Screen 2, which has a much shallower rake as well.

For the size of the screen installed in Screen 1, vs the length of the building, it's exactly the right rake. If it were on a shallower rake, than the cinema would end up occupying most of the museum and archive car park. And that'd sausage the completely adequate overspill provision.

I realise you're implacably opposed to Mareel just because, but if you're going to find fault, at least find ones that actually exist, like the foyer not having a screen to tell you what's coming up, or times of movies, etc. Or the cafe bar, which still has quite slow service some days (though is miles better than before). 

I know of two non-disabled people who have had problems with the steepness in the cinema ... just saying.  I do anticipate having problems with it but hey, assistance has been offered so I'll just have to wait and see.

I've tried more than once to book to see a film, only to discover it's sold out with no alternative date(s) offered.  Gig-wise, nothing I've really fancied going to see yet.

But given some people just aren't satisfied until something mega negative is posted, just to keep ya amused ... it ain't half looking tatty from what photographs have been in the press in the last few months - do they not have any spare dosh for routine maintenance then?