Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

@tooney1

Which bit of would like to attend do you not understand?  I take it you're a regular patron of Mareel; way to go encouraging those who are YET to attend by asking them why they moved to Shetland.  Shetland Arts have asked for feedback.  Are you seriously saying that they don't want to hear the views as to why people haven't attended (yet)?  Does Mareel want people who have never yet attended through its doors or are you suggesting that everything they are doing is absolutely hunky dory and they don't need any additional footfall?

Thanks for answering re the optics although I wasn't the person who first raised it.

I have every intention of going to Mareel.  I sincerely hope I enjoy it.  Rest assured though, unlike some of the "let's slag Ghostie's peerie wife off for the sake of it" comments, I'll give fair feedback:  if I like something then I'll say so and yeah, if I don't like something, I'll say so.  If service is good/excellent, then like anywhere else where I receive good service, I'll let the management know what a good job they are doing.

A long time ago Bryan offered a tour around the gaff; I fully intend to take him up on that offer ... but working and being a carer tends to mean I don't have as much spare time as I'd like; sorry if that ain't constructive enough for ya.

Sorry but it's been open long enough now for you to at least try something - you seem to get plenty of time to write on these forums after all. No one's picking on you, but at the same time you're not royalty and the the venue owes you nothing.

You both make an incredible amount of noise despite having never been and working off second hand information. It seems you have become overly obsessed with these forums and the venue without ever leaving the house - doesn't that tell you something? Either go and experience it for yourselves and come back with something constructive, or keep quiet.

I dont see what the problem is with the parking space? It is full when a film is sold out or something big on, like the Hobbit first screening last night. But just means you park either at the museum or council building, which are both less than 60 seconds away, so what is the problem?

Only problem i have with the parking are those horrible stupid lights that are set at such a level it makes car maneuvers harder than it has to be. The ligh components should have been set lower to the ground instead of car eye line level.

....the the venue owes you nothing.

It was built entirely from public money, its running costs are met partly from public money. The venue owes everybody exactly the same as anybody else, everybody has an equal stake in it.

You both make an incredible amount of noise despite having never been....

Whoa, that's some crystal ball you've got. No-one but me knows where I've been or not been.

Either go and experience it for yourselves and come back with something constructive, or keep quiet.

Good thing you weren't in charge of the debate to abolish hanging then.

Edited by Ghostrider

Living in the country I have been very surprised how many times I've used Mareel. I was never a keen cinema goer in my younger life, having stayed Sooth and in Lerwick, but I have now been several times with my wife to see films and really enjoyed the experience at Mareel. I know the bar as had it's faults but they are being worked on. The service on a normal night is very good and polite.The only problems have been large music gigs when the bar staff couldn't cope, this is being worked on by the management. As for the parking problem, there is none. I have parked at the museum when I couldn't get in Mareels car park and there are numerous car park within easy walking distance. The Mareel car park has more spaces than the North Star, Garrison and Islesburgh put together.

Ghostrider - I don't wish to argue, but it's clearly not constructive you coming on here stating the obvious with second-hand information e.g. about lack of car parking for the car you don't own (I assume) and the gig you've never been to.

Please just put your money where your mouth is and go, otherwise you add no value to the conversation. Your partner cites excuses not reasons for not attending, with the latest one being "it's too square" for her based on nothing but reading the event guide. I'm also willing to bet she's never attended the heavy metal buffet gigs at the legion either.

I would love to see you both conduct better lives than trolling these forums, and believe with a just cause you had direct experience and involvement with, you'd be an asset to the community. Just get yourselves out there and start living.

....the theoretical peak 'volume' of the auditorium PA is about 140dB (decibels),....

Thankyou Bryan, that was the one number I was looking for when I first asked about maximum audio limitations of the auditorium.

In the two and a half years since Mareel opened, no musician, band, sound engineer, promoter or anyone else has ever asked for specific information on the capabilities of the sound system. The only times it has ever come up is on this thread.

This surprises me, especially given that, I believe, one or two dance acts and metal acts have used the facility. That said, I can only presume that dB output wasn't critical to their particular styles, so not really a relevant issue of discussion for them.

Ghostrider - I don't wish to argue, but it's clearly not constructive you coming on here stating the obvious with second-hand information e.g. about lack of car parking for the car you don't own (I assume) and the gig you've never been to.

Please just put your money where your mouth is and go, otherwise you add no value to the conversation.

I would love to see you both conduct better lives than trolling these forums,....

Like you said, partly your assumption, and the rest your opinion. Which I respectfully disagree with.

Please just put your money where your mouth is and go, otherwise you add no value to the conversation. Your partner cites excuses not reasons for not attending, with the latest one being "it's too square" for her based on nothing but reading the event guide. I'm also willing to bet she's never attended the heavy metal buffet gigs at the legion either.

I would love to see you both conduct better lives than trolling these forums, and believe with a just cause you had direct experience and involvement with, you'd be an asset to the community. Just get yourselves out there and start living.

You really do have no idea what it's like for those without their own transport, do you?

Would you go into a shop and purchase something because it had just opened even though there was nothing you fancied and spend over £15 on an item, simply just to please someone on a local forum?  It doesn't matter to you that I've tried to book for more than one event (which in one way shows that certain things are popular and/or that the venue has a crap capacity ... what is it, 330 when seated ... no wonder many don't promote gigs when you start working out the sums after hiring the gaff?)  Thankfully, the new SA Manager isn't adopting the same approach as you.

I'm fortunate, I do and can get out and about; perhaps you should try it some time.

You really do have no idea what it's like for those without their own transport, do you?

Would you go into a shop and purchase something because it had just opened even though there was nothing you fancied and spend over £15 on an item, simply just to please someone on a local forum?  It doesn't matter to you that I've tried to book for more than one event (which in one way shows that certain things are popular and/or that the venue has a crap capacity ... what is it, 330 when seated ... no wonder many don't promote gigs when you start working out the sums after hiring the gaff?)  Thankfully, the new SA Manager isn't adopting the same approach as you.

I'm fortunate, I do and can get out and about; perhaps you should try it some time.

First of all thank you for clarifying my previous assumptions were correct.

Ok, now lets go with your argument and shop example. No I don't know what it's like to not have transport, but at the same time I wouldn't be spending copious amounts of time commenting negatively about said shop because I have never been and have had no direct experience of it.

That is the point I'm trying to put across - neither of you have any experience of the venue to be able to comment on its apparent "crapness" as you put it. If it sells out it's crap, if it undersells it's crap, if it doesn't put on a precise event for you it's crap, if it's parking runs out it's crap - basically everything's crap with you. You're obviously an angry individual who's very negative about everything, and if that's what makes you happy then that's fine. But it becomes other peoples misery when you post on this forum, and I'm sorry to say you come away looking rather foolish.

Well no actually!.  Mareel is completely inaccessible for lots of rural residents like me who cannot afford taxi fares.  How about they start organising transport home for rural types perhaps on a rota basis?.

But but but but it's accessible to all, JustMe, and not being able to afford taxi fares is just an excuse according to some! ;-)

First of all thank you for clarifying my previous assumptions were correct.

Ok, now lets go with your argument and shop example. No I don't know what it's like to not have transport, but at the same time I wouldn't be spending copious amounts of time commenting negatively about said shop because I have never been and have had no direct experience of it.

That is the point I'm trying to put across - neither of you have any experience of the venue to be able to comment on its apparent "crapness" as you put it. If it sells out it's crap, if it undersells it's crap, if it doesn't put on a precise event for you it's crap, if it's parking runs out it's crap - basically everything's crap with you. You're obviously an angry individual who's very negative about everything, and if that's what makes you happy then that's fine. But it becomes other peoples misery when you post on this forum, and I'm sorry to say you come away looking rather foolish.

Copious amounts of time?  August I posted, then December.  I'm calm but you don't seem to be.  I do so hope the cakes aren't crap, they look lush!  But then, I really can't have an opinion on what Mareel puts on its Failbook page, can I?  I can't think "That'll be worth going to see" because according to you, unless someone has ventured through its doors, their opinion counts for zilch.

Do you agree with the comments made by the new SA Manager then?

Is there a kiddie xmas party on by any chance, a santa's grotto?

@Bryan - cheers for answering the points re the sound system but why on earth you couldn't have said that from Day 1 beats me, and I take it then a sound limiter isn't always used and bands can play to the level they want or is there a house cap?  Oh, and I've got wheels again ... see ya soon.

@new SA Manager - Graham Langley, known on the Brum circuit would go down quite well at Mareel, I reckon.

Copious amounts of time?  August I posted, then December.  I'm calm but you don't seem to be.  I do so hope the cakes aren't crap, they look lush!  But then, I really can't have an opinion on what Mareel puts on its Failbook page, can I?  I can't think "That'll be worth going to see" because according to you, unless someone has ventured through its doors, their opinion counts for zilch.

Do you agree with the comments made by the new SA Manager then?

Is there a kiddie xmas party on by any chance, a santa's grotto?

Let's not get caught up in trading insults, and I welcome your attempts to move away from the subject, but I want to get back to it briefly. What I'm putting across to you both is this: If you can't add anything of value to the discussion, then is it worth posting? I'm not trying to insult you, just merely pointing out some rules of conversational engagement in the hope that your contributions can be more meaningful and engaging.

Unlinkedstudent (as you're better known by) - your posts tend to be largely egocentric and self-fulfilling without you perhaps realising (i.e. they're not in the interest of others). And Ghosties are largely based on disseminating the testimonials of others or conceived from personal ideas and not direct experience of the subject matter, again seemingly for reasons of self-fulfilment and a need to contribute. This approach does occasionally lead to some useful alternative viewpoints, but for the most part it's not going to earn him the status of "respected critic" any time soon.

It's great you know the new manager and I hope that allows you to have meaningful engagement with the venue. I wish you both a great Xmas and New Year, and hope you treat yourself to a visit :)

Edited by tooney1

What I'm putting across to you both is this: If you can't add anything of value to the discussion, then is it worth posting?

Okay, lets review the recent relevant facts on that one, before the fight started.

Someone posted this:

Things have gone very quiet.  Everyone happy with Mareel now it's here?

Another three posters followed with comments covering the cinema, transport and general issues, some positive, some negative, and some indifferent.

I followed with this:

Only the cinema part getting any positive comment so far. Hmmmm......

Meanwhile, awaiting the release of the trading figures for the second full year of operation, now that the facility has (presumably) settled in to a more routine usage pattern that the 'novelty' value has largely waned.

I fail to see how these comments could be construed as anything but neutral observations. Its well enough documented the cinema was very popular and successful during the first year of operations, and its good to see evidence that that trend might be continuing, but its hardly hot news that it probably is. What of the rest of the facility though, the cinema is only one small portion of it, the rest of the facilities have barely gotten an occasional lac-lustre mention at best ever. Why is this? Are they really that bad, and if so, are they being improved, or are people just not bothering to sing their praises?

Given the long history of financial issues surrounding the project, and the tendency of folk to make additional use of a facility simply because it is "new", I don't think it unreasonable at this stage to withhold judgement on whether I'm "happy with Mareel" or not, until at least the second year's trading performance is known.

Whether my post could have added anything of value to the discussion we'll never know, as within a few hours someone else posted the following rather sarcastic gem, dredging up references to previous discussions I'd participated in on this thread, which had run their course and died months and years previously, cherry picking and misquoting from them as they did so to suit their own "argument". As none of the subject matter of these previous dead discussions had any connection with the issues currently mentioned, their response certainly contributed nothing of value to the discussion, and the only viable conclusion for the purpose of the post is that it was intended to either discredit my point of view (which seems pointless exercise, given I'd only posted neutral observations), completely derail the thread, or simply be an irritating troll.

Only the cinema part getting any positive comment so far. Hmmmm......

Meanwhile, awaiting the release of the trading figures for the second full year of operation, now that the facility has (presumably) settled in to a more routine usage pattern that the 'novelty' value has largely waned.

I assume you're using the same cutting-edge deductive processes (i.e. completely made-up bo||ocks) that you and the other half of the gruesome twosome were using when you were informing us that the car park was nowhere near big enough, that the soundproofing wouldn't be up to the job, that disabled people wouldn't be able to use the venue because the seating rake was too high, etc, etc, along with all the other crap that you've spewed forth on the subject?

I would hope that it went without saying, that regardless of whomever posted whatever, being followed with such a post in response, is going to cause any and all discussion to be dead in the water, and no-one can know where the original discussion may or may not have gone, or who's contribution(s) would or wouldn't have added value to it.

I suppose I could have "risen above it" and ignored the direct attack, it would have saved three pages worth of server space if nothing else, but its just not in my nature not to defend myself when someone willfully misrepresents me and attempts to discredit me using bogus "evidence".

Edited by Ghostrider