Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Having left Mareel/Cinema while music events are going on, you cant hear a thing leaking out of the auditorium, even sitting in the bar area with the doors into the auditorium open you aren't deafened if anything it is to muffled.

Great to hear that. Excellent.

What confuses the living sh*t outta me though, is why it was so difficult for someone to say three years ago that the auditorium was designed for those kinds of levels of audio security.

I am not going to look back through 200 odd pages to find the original discussion, but I remember Brian assuring you that the soundproofing would be adequate.  He even offered to buy you a pint if there turned out to be audible "doofage" in the bar area while a concert was in progress, but from all accounts, it looks like it is you who owes Brian a pint.

Find out if the venue is up to scratch tonight!

KLUB REVOLUTION IN ASSOCIATION WITH SHETLAND ARTS PRESENT

KINGS OF LYON

+ DEATHSTAR CANTEEN

+ DIG DEEP

MAREEL, LERWICK

FRIDAY 19TH DECEMBER

DOORS AT 7.30PM

OVER 14'S (UNDER 16'S ACCOMPANNIED BY AN ADULT)

TICKETS AVAILABLE FROM:

SHETLAND BOX OFFICE AT MAREEL & ISLESBURGH

TEL. 01595 745555

www.shetlandboxoffice.org

www.klubrevolution.com www.facebook.com/klubrevolutionshetland

....given several people have now apparently had the same misunderstanding perhaps it is a sign you did not communicate it well.

Regardless of whether that was or wasn't the case, when the misunderstanding has been corrected more than once, and people ignore the correction and persist with arguing the original meaning they claim they took from it, it doesn't wash.

....it looks like it is you who owes Brian a pint.

Not entirely sure I see how that one flies, but whatever.

....it looks like it is you who owes Brian a pint.

Not entirely sure I see how that one flies, but whatever.

I might have it the wrong way round...

"But never mind the specs - I'll come down to the Ness and pick you up some day and we'll fire up the PA one Mareel is open. I'll plug in my bass and plunk her until I get your beer to dirl! If there is no dirlage, I'll buy you, your better half and Dratsy a round. If there is dirlage, you, ULinked and Dratsy owe me a Highland Park"  :wink:

• 9 months later...

I don't care how sad it sounds, I associate that smell with the whole experience of going to see a film -  it's part of the ritual of cinema going for many people. I'll still be going, but I think it's a shame they've binned it - and that hygiene excuse is mental. Selling popcorn was one of the few  things that Mareel actually got right, straight off the bat. I mean, it's not rocket science and it's a damn sight simpler than running an efficient bar or food service.

Selling popcorn at a massive markup must surely be a no-brainier? Ditching the popcorn sounds like the outcome of some managerial blue-sky thinking exercise. Throw a load of out-of-the-box ideas at the wall and see what sticks. "Why don't we do away with popcorn? Yeah, what's stopping us? It's a hassle to make and people have to queue for it. If we get rid of it then less queues. I like it! let's make that happen, because we can. Meanwhile, let's fly in that guy from New York who makes puppets from freeze-dried kelp, yeah? He can curate our Organic Isometric Shapes festival. Sorted. Are we done? Awesome. Let's go get mangled on Matcha Tea".

I might have got carried away with that last bit. Anyway, please bring back popcorn.  

Edited by Horns 'O' Da Geo

I don't care how sad it sounds, I associate that smell with the whole experience of going to see a film -  it's part of the ritual of cinema going for many people.

I associate a definite musty smell, overlaid with stale fag reek, aka. pure North Star stalls aroma. But I guess that's me just showing my age.

Edited by Ghostrider

• 2 years later...

I visited Mareel a few months back.  I have to say the staff were exceedlingly helpful and polite.  Can't comment on the bar, it was closed for refurbishment at the time.

Good to hear you’ve finally visited the venue and had a positive experience. Was ghostie with you?