Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

What it's against fire regulations to stand or dance at a concert ? Or maybe it's a known fact that this is going to be sitting only concert hall ?

Having walked past the proposed site of the proposed venue yesterday I formed the opinion that, although suitable for gentle classical music lovers, the site should not be used for stand up or indeed sit down concerts where people might by the end of the evening be, not to mince words, drunk.

Existing council policy is not to allow any more venues that get drunks near to the sea as was demonstrated by their refusal to allow the old ice factory to be developed as a music venue. So think again if you are planning to have a good old knees up once the venue is open.

Or maybe it's a known fact that this is going to be sitting only concert hall ?
Its not going to be a sitting only venue. Audience capacities depend on a number of factors (i.e. how many stage extensions are being used, position of lighting/sound desk on the night etc)

Existing council policy is not to allow any more venues that get drunks near to the sea as was demonstrated by their refusal to allow the old ice factory to be developed as a music venue. So think again if you are planning to have a good old knees up once the venue is open.
I see your point, but I'm not sure I follow the logic of not being able to "have a good old knees up once the venue is open". Why not?

As far as the Ice Factory goes, the proximity of the sea was one of many reasons put forward by those against. The main reason was that it's the middle of an industrial estate (and the council had earmarked it for the Amenity Trust HQ)

major cutback in old peoples services, and the sic waste money on a music and cinema venue, which will not be used to capacity.
What's your definition of 'capacity'? It's a multi-use building, so of course not every facility is going to be in constant use

peeriebryan wrote

I see your point, but I'm not sure I follow the logic of not being able to "have a good old knees up once the venue is open". Why not?

Simply because the idea of a good time in Shetland (as in many other parts of the UK) seems to be based on alcohol consumption.

As for the industrial area being a problem for the ice plant plans I think the new venue being equidistant between hays and the oil tanks is not exactly in whatever sort of location that combined cinema/music venues would normally be in.

peeriebryan wrote

Simply because the idea of a good time in Shetland (as in many other parts of the UK) seems to be based on alcohol consumption.

I still don't follow why the location of the venue would prevent folk from getting boozy and/or having a good time. Folk are going to drink wherever the venue is

I do agree that it isn't the ideal location though

I think in the case of the Ice factory.. it was a case of who you know and who was putting in the application more than anything. not that anyoen from the council or plannig would probably admit that.

but as PB stated the council had ear marked that building for amenity trust..

as for the location of the new proposed cinema/music venue.. i cant think of a better location intown.. that doesnt involve demolishing something liek the grand hotel..

As fro the oild tanks i belive plans are a foot for them to be moved out of the center fo town anyway.. if nto it nothing a security fence wouldnt solve.. and the same goes for hays dock.

As fro the oild tanks i belive plans are a foot for them to be moved out of the center fo town anyway.. if nto it nothing a security fence wouldnt solve.. and the same goes for hays dock.

I think the point about the oil tanks was not so much people wandering past and interfering with them, but more the risk of another Buncefield style explosion.

do we need somewhere else for the youth of shetland to get drunk and abusive, and as for a cinema, will it ever be full, there are only 22000+ on shetland, cant see it being full every night. and how often will we get new films as they come out on general release.

Why would the "youth of shetland" go to the CMV to get "drunk and abusive"? Are you making that excellent (sarcasm) generalisation that all those who go to concerts are drunkards?

do we need somewhere else for the youth of shetland to get drunk and abusive, and as for a cinema, will it ever be full, there are only 22000+ on shetland, cant see it being full every night. and how often will we get new films as they come out on general release.

I would liek to think that this venue would be controlled more than say your average country disco ( if they still happen )

If it is to work the last thing they would want is for yobs to take over... putting off other paying costomer from ever going back.

You're right Vailron,

I think Shetland's young people have plenty to do at weekend - standing at the cross blootered being a perfect example.

I, as a kid of the 80s, was actually around when the North Star was a cinema and even though it was crap, it was something to do. I have no idea why you think kids would be loud and abusive in the cinema - in fact, it would give them another alternative than going out and getting drunk outta sheer boredom.

I s'pose you're not happy to see any sort of development in Shetland. This has been a long time coming. Shetland is one of the bleakest places to live at this time of year. A CMV will quite frankly ease the boredom, dullness in winter, and give us a great venue to showcase acts the whole year 'round.