Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Boredom is a frame-of-mind, not an absence of something to do. Sounds a bit daft, I know but people can complain that they are bored and yet, when presented with a string of choices, they'll not be in the mood for any of them.

When I was a child my sister told me "only stupid people get bored" - I have never been bored since....

There is always plenty to do that would alleviate the boredom. It is making the choice not to do it that leads to boredom, and lack of imagination that keeps people in that rut. Sadly there are those that are unable to create their own entertainment, which is a shame here as their are plenty of willing adults to help them.

i have nothing against a cinema, but will it really get the custom, can you honestly see folk from unst coming down to lerwick to watch a film, the cinema really will have to look at the times for showing films, these will have to link in with ferry times etc. not an easy task. and can a cinema survive with just the poulation of lerwick using it. bearing in mind that not all of lerwicks poulation are interested in films.

i have nothing against a cinema, but will it really get the custom, can you honestly see folk from unst coming down to lerwick to watch a film, the cinema really will have to look at the times for showing films, these will have to link in with ferry times etc. not an easy task. and can a cinema survive with just the poulation of lerwick using it. bearing in mind that not all of lerwicks poulation are interested in films.

You could say the same of the bloody bowls hall! What percentage of population really uses that? maybe 5%? You are always going to have outlying areas that aren't going to fully benefit from a service in the town but really, there isn't much you can do about that. Certainly, there could be Saturday showings which would allows Yell, Whalsay, Unst people to come and watch films. So I would say, yeh - that is an easy task. As far as the popularity goes, I think it's safe to say that almost all people like movies, maybe not avidly so but then alot of people hate exercise and yet we continue to fork out on the Clickimin - which I am not complaining about.

Even if the CMV isn't financially sustainable, it's certainly a worthwhile loss. The music side will pull in alot of interest from tourism and also help boost the profile of Shetland's music. Compared to what the council do waste, money on, this would be one that people really wouldn't complain about. At the moment we're losing money on endless consultation about the bridge, branding of Shetland etc.

many people do like movies, but what percentage are physically able to go to the cinema, or can realistically afford to go to the cinema???

I am sure that there will be ample provision for the disabled.

Shetland is a relatively wealthy place, but there will undoubtedly be concessionary tickets for those who cannot afford the full price due to pensions/benefits/etc.

many people do like movies, but what percentage are physically able to go to the cinema, or can realistically afford to go to the cinema???

I am sure that there will be ample provision for the disabled.

Shetland is a relatively wealthy place, but there will undoubtedly be concessionary tickets for those who cannot afford the full price due to pensions/benefits/etc.

Isn't it nice to simplify.

There may be ample provision for the disabled but how do they afford the transport and the attendant to get them to the venue? Even with the provision of such assistance there are many who still could not attend.

How does one qualify for a concessionary ticket? A means test? Once we have the Identity Card there will be no problem,it will all be recorded on the chip. Besides,even that low price will be too much for a pensioner who is paying two thirds of their allowances to SIC for rent,rates,home help and meals on wheels. What choice - a film or warm house.

I read this comment another way..........how many people will not be able to go to the cinema because of bus or ferry times. Certainly an evening at the cinema is never going to be an option for people living on some of the smaller isles.

Maybe the mobile cinema will still fill a need?.

Isn't it nice to simplify.

There may be ample provision for the disabled but how do they afford the transport and the attendant to get them to the venue? Even with the provision of such assistance there are many who still could not attend.

How does one qualify for a concessionary ticket? A means test? Once we have the Identity Card there will be no problem,it will all be recorded on the chip. Besides,even that low price will be too much for a pensioner who is paying two thirds of their allowances to SIC for rent,rates,home help and meals on wheels. What choice - a film or warm house.

I would hope that in a place like Shetland there would sufficient family members (or friends) who might help their disabled or elderly relative (or friend/neighbour) meet the costs or help in any other way.

Despite being lowly paid and working part-time on a temporary basis, I am happy to pay for the transport, entry and popcorn costs of one elderly or disabled person to attend the CMW when it opens.

I believe that to qualify for a concessionary ticket an unemployed person for instance just needs to show their UB40 or whatever it is called these days. What a choice indeed - a sad indictment of today's society.

• 1 month later...

(** moved from duplicate thread **)

Something original.... North Star?

Suggestions put forward by the traditional dialect group Shetland Forwirds include Norder Hoose, Nort Hansel and the term of endearment, Hiarta.

What.

No.