Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Cinema brings 60 jobs to Spa town

An 11-screen cinema complex opens at the site of a new shopping and leisure development in Cheltenham on Friday, bringing 60 jobs to the town.

Cineworld is part of the multi-million pound Brewery Centre, which has been under construction for two years.

The centre occupies the site of the former Whitbread Brewery between Henrietta Street and Bennington Street.

Three restaurants and a multi-storey car park are already open and the rest of the development opens next month.

This from the BBC today. Cheltenham not being that big a town and having lots of cities reasonably close by yet the developers opting for an 11 screen multiplex makes me wonder if perhaps the cinema side of our new venue should have more screens so that there are more films shown every night to tempt us from the tv.....just a thought.

Oh great God, here's another one.

Last Thursday would have seen three more screens than customers.

And 52 more staff than customers.

Cheltenham is a town with over 110,000 of a population. That would give it an advantage over Lerwick's 10,000 wouldn't you say?

NEXT !!!

Perhaps you should re-read my earlier post. Last night WASN'T a film, it was probably the most popular concert of the year at the Garrison. Last year it sold out two nights, this year it's on three nights and HASN'T sold out.

How about the new Jim Carey film that was on at the Garrison last Thursday? Attendance 8.

Do you see where I'm coming from regarding these figures. Don't take my word for it - ask Islesburgh.

Granted, but it does illustrate that people are willing to go out through the week if there is something on (film, drama etc) where booze plays no part.

Guest Anonymous

Do you honestly feel it is in the interests of the people of Shetland to go ahead and build this venue when we are faced with the economic crisis that we are facing.I have a family and I dont work for the council(one of the remaining few) my wages have actually decreased as overtime has been cut and I know a lot of my mates are in the same boat. Council tax has gone up, my rent has gone up ,my electricity has gone up, and on and on it goes. For hundreds and hundreds of families in Shetland disposable income is dropping fast so to say we will spend this amount is totally ridiculous I can tell you know you people who are determined to build this are in for a big shock. I would plead with you to look very hard and long what you are getting us in to. The bottom line is that we cannot possibly afford to take the chance on this (only) losing £80000.

Guest Anonymous
Perhaps you should re-read my earlier post. Last night WASN'T a film, it was probably the most popular concert of the year at the Garrison. Last year it sold out two nights, this year it's on three nights and HASN'T sold out.

How about the new Jim Carey film that was on at the Garrison last Thursday? Attendance 8.

Do you see where I'm coming from regarding these figures. Don't take my word for it - ask Islesburgh.

Granted, but it does illustrate that people are willing to go out through the week if there is something on (film, drama etc) where booze plays no part.

So you're saying they WON'T be using the venue's bars then?

Guest Anonymous

On the news last night and in the papers today; Film fans will soon be able to download movies legally for the first time-starting with King Kong, US giant Universal Pictures is launching a service on April 10 which allows people to get the latest blockbusters on laptops,home computers or hand-held devices. Do we still need 2 new ones ?

I do believe that business plans have to be taken from a very pessimistic perspective, to err on the safe side, and if that is the approach that they are usually reasonably realistic - if you take a worst-case scenario it is most likely to turn out that way!

Is the "business plan" available for download yet so that we can all have a look?

I do believe that business plans have to be taken from a very pessimistic perspective, to err on the safe side, and if that is the approach that they are usually reasonably realistic - if you take a worst-case scenario it is most likely to turn out that way!

Is the "business plan" available for download yet so that we can all have a look?

Seems to be no sign of it yet.

But as you've quoted yourself from a while back petergear, i feel the urge to remind the argument that commissioned business plans are often deliberately written with an all-encompassing positive slant, especially when used to secure public funding. It is only decent businessmen such as yourself who fully explore the pessimistic angles.

To provide an example, the recent "volvic" mineral water ad's are a good one. If the appropriate caveman approached a funding body to seek finance for his new invention "the wheel" he would have a much greater chance of securing said funds by stating that he had development plans and potential alternative market in using "the wheel" as a pedestal for pole-dancers. If you see where i'm going with this.

I'm not meaning to sway an argument either way here, and when dealing with sources such as the lottery fund, this kind of business plan may well be a good thing, but until any of us have seen the most recent public draft then we can only speculate on it's content. These things are rewritten many times.

dB wrote

Oh great God, here's another one.

Last Thursday would have seen three more screens than customers.

And 52 more staff than customers.

Cheltenham is a town with over 110,000 of a population. That would give it an advantage over Lerwick's 10,000 wouldn't you say?

NEXT !!!

Well yes we dont want a huge multiplex but more variety of films could start a trend of cinema going that has been lost in Shetland. And unlike Cheltenham where it is easy to go to other towns for entertainment a venue in Shetland would have a captive audience.

Anyone know if multiplex cinemas can have one projectionist showing several films at the same time.

Then it's gonna be one hell of a job to take in £1400 in food sales alone.

Another reason that I think the projected food/drink income is way too high is that the average Shetlander doesn't go for drinks - entertainment -drinks. Most people will come by car, be entertained and go home

I'm not talking about the few big festivals but the on-going, day to day custom. Remember, the projection is £1400 per day, every day, 360 days a year. It only takes a few quiet days and you're faced with having to take in nearly £10,000 for a weekend just to stay on track. Believe me, there will be quiet days, quiet weeks and quiet months.

Then we'll all be wishing it was only £80,000 a year to keep it afloat.

Well yes we dont want a huge multiplex but more variety of films could start a trend of cinema going that has been lost in Shetland. And unlike Cheltenham where it is easy to go to other towns for entertainment a venue in Shetland would have a captive audience.

Anyone know if multiplex cinemas can have one projectionist showing several films at the same time.

Would you throw your own money at something that "could start a trend"? Trends are, by their very nature, cyclical and what's popular one year won't be another year.

I hardly think "could start a trend" is a sound footing to commit this amount of money. Try getting a bank loan for something that "could start a trend".

Good luck.

dB wrote

Would you throw your own money at something that "could start a trend"? Trends are, by their very nature, cyclical and what's popular one year won't be another year.

I hardly think "could start a trend" is a sound footing to commit this amount of money. Try getting a bank loan for something that "could start a trend".

Well it seems that we are going to have a venue of some sort provided it gets passed by the full council and I believe that perhaps four screens of different sizes could help to fill the seats without needing that many more staff. And as I understand it multiplexes can show blockbusters simultaneously in more than "mini cinema" at the same time.

As for getting bank loans then I agree that getting enough of them to finance the project would be impossible which is why funding will come from trusts and the lottery fund where potential benefits to the community matter more than the profit motive.

Then it's gonna be one hell of a job to take in £1400 in food sales alone.

Another reason that I think the projected food/drink income is way too high is that the average Shetlander doesn't go for drinks - entertainment -drinks. Most people will come by car, be entertained and go home

I'm not talking about the few big festivals but the on-going, day to day custom. Remember, the projection is £1400 per day, every day, 360 days a year. It only takes a few quiet days and you're faced with having to take in nearly £10,000 for a weekend just to stay on track. Believe me, there will be quiet days, quiet weeks and quiet months.

Then we'll all be wishing it was only £80,000 a year to keep it afloat.

dB, What is the social value of the venue ?