Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

I apologise for being thick, marlin 13, but I do not understand the logic of your argument. Mareel is a bad idea because oil is expensive?

How would extending the Garrison provide business savvy and training?

What is this under provision of which you speak, and how would this be addresssed by a refurbished theatre? Surely that would be a bigger waste of money.By not having a purpose built facilitycapable of meeting the needs of all aspects of the performing community and making do with something which does not meet any of thier needs, everybodys time and money would be wasted, and we'd end up with something unfit for the purpose of training musicians and film makers to the standard required by todays industry.

With respect, I'd say that your argument about BBB is self defeating- it is because there is no infrastructure beyond school level that they have to obtain their jedi training elsewhere. If there was a quality venue here, then the musicbusiness representatives would have a reason to come here to see the talent, rather than make bands shlepp down to a place where there are venues. Most London based A+R men have no idea where Shetland is, and why would they?- the Hit parade is hardly throbbing to the sound of a Shetland reel, is it?

That is by the by. The life of a performing musician will usually involve travelling to an area where peolple congregate looking to be entertained, if they wish to make any money. Shetland needs to stop trading on past glories and embrace the future. Having a creative hub on the islands would help to include it in todays creative world map. Making industry representatives stand in a tiny old fort/theatre and telling them that it is the best we've got will do nothing but exclude Shetland from any meaningful participation in the building of a future worldwide "scene". I know this, I have asked them. Fiddle de dee.

Me too, I emailed all three of my councillors (twice) and didn't get anything in reply.

I emailed my three councillors before the last meeting and got a reply from one or perhaps two.

I'm just back from Orkney and they seem to be more switched on in terms of the arts , including more diverse music. The St Magnus Festival was on while we were there which, possibly due to the Maxwell Davies effect, attracts top names. We could see it also attracted well-heeled regular festival-goers which must also be good for the local economy. It was extrememly difficult to get accommodation during this time as it's so busy.

Glad to hear the good news! Well done to all involved in pushing for it. Onwards and upwards!! :D

And what a bang it will be, ISOT!

How do you think it will be a "waste"?

Compared to what? I would compare it to the half million spent on a new toilet and then decide that spending ten times that on Mareel (including toilets!) represents excellent value for money, wouldn't you?

Unless you don't really understand what is actually involved here.

Well done Mr Cluness,you have wisdom and foresight.

As Ray Winstone said in "the proposition"-

" I will civilise this land."