Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Its a bit of an odd one this. I can't help but comparing it to having a builder working on my own property. How they reacted to being photographed would affect my opinion of the job's progress.

I've photographed builders at work before and the more general response is the donning of traffic cones on heads, or positioning of backsides toward the camera. :wink:

Mareel - built for photo opportunities - a big grey backdrop for the men in grey suits :)

Somewhere for our councillors to hob knob on freebees with the so called famous.

And just like Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan.

:idea: The councillors will come out of the marell without there drawers on and get there photo in the Sun :!:

Just to get there pointless photo in the paper yet again.

Obviously anyone has a right to walk around the perimeter and take photos, but I don't think it's unreasonable for the Site Manager to ask what they're doing. The Site Manager has overall responsibility for the Mareel site, personnel and related operations in surrounding areas and might well take interest in someone he doesn't know wearing a hi-vis vest walking around the boundaries (regardless of whether they're taking photos), particularly if they didn't answer his questions when he approached them.

Re: Cllr. Wills' letter being removed from the Shetland Times last week - I have no idea why that happened either, but contacting Cllr. Wills' or the Shetland Times would probably be more productive than second guessing on Shetlink.

Obviously anyone has a right to walk around the perimeter and take photos, but I don't think it's unreasonable for the Site Manager to ask what they're doing. The Site Manager has overall responsibility for the Mareel site, personnel and related operations in surrounding areas and might well take interest in someone he doesn't know wearing a hi-vis vest walking around the boundaries (regardless of whether they're taking photos), particularly if they didn't answer his questions when he approached them.

(My emphasis)

I think this is an astonishing post from someone whose views I usually have a lot of time for. What harm can taking a photograph do? I am sure the site manager would be curious but he has no right to know why someone is taking photographs. Mareel (which, in general, I support) has been, and will be, paid for from public funds. Everyone is entitled to photograph it without being quizzed.

This was paranoia from the site manager, and your support for his actions PB, is staggering.

Ok thats fine , but if this was someone taking pictures of some building works at your buisness or property would you not want to know who it was and why they were taking pictures ?

The Mareel is quite a touchy subject and maybe they dont want anymore rumours circulating ?

Im just trying to look at it from thier perspective

Except it is our business and property - we are paying for it and many of us will use it.

Firstly, the person is defying the pedestrian signs,

secondly, he could be an imposter

and

thirdly, site security and the well being of the work force is his priority.

If the photographer is wandering around in what is really a controlled area he/she should be challenged, and should not mind being challenged.

Even though the public own the building, you may have no right to occupy or possess any part of it. That would or could be stealing.

(My emphasis)

I think this is an astonishing post from someone whose views I usually have a lot of time for. What harm can taking a photograph do? I am sure the site manager would be curious but he has no right to know why someone is taking photographs. Mareel (which, in general, I support) has been, and will be, paid for from public funds. Everyone is entitled to photograph it without being quizzed.

This was paranoia from the site manager, and your support for his actions PB, is staggering.

Pardon jz? You seem to have taken that up the wrong way. I stated that "Obviously anyone has a right to walk around the perimeter and take photos" and people regularly do so - the building is immediately adjacent to surrounding roads in full view of the public and there's a web cam pointed permanently at the site.

I completely agree that "Everyone is entitled to photograph it without being quizzed." Equally, I don't think it unreasonable for the Site Manger to approach anyone in or around the site assuming he has reason to do so. Equally (again!) no-one is obliged to give reasons for taking photos if they're causing no harm.

I don't know the circumstances surrounding the reported encounter or why the person was approached so I can't comment let alone 'support' anyone's actions, but I'd suggest that you're making assumptions by claiming that "this was paranoia from the site manager"

Can't see what all the hassle is about if he wasn't on the site he doesn't have to tell the site manager who he is.

Unless of course Mareel is actually a secret lair for Doctor Wills to unleash his terrible weapon of mass distraction on the unsuspecting public. Maybe his letter to the shetland times was a warning not to investigate his purchase of 600 ak-47's and the hiring of a group of south african mercenaries to run the door. Maybe that is why Douglas was treated in an intimidating manner. On the other hand probably not.