Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Guest Anonymous

I didn't pose my question about costs to other venues clearly enough. Perhaps I could give a couple of examples?

If the new venue happens, I assume the Garrison would no longer show films. How much revenue would the Garrison lose. Equally, can anyone estimate how many gigs, and thus income, Clickimin would lose?

I can believe that the eight facilities run by SRT had over 600,000 users, not all of them participating in sport of course. But lets get a true picture of paying customers by deducting schoolbairns in for swimming, etc before we start making comparisons.

Surely you can see that if Alan Mac takes up a DJ and pays for it himself. It is wrong for the council to take up someone the same week (or whenever) and use public monies to do so. This is unacceptlabe and this is the big problem with this venue it will battle head to head with the private sector. Ok the North Star is a dump, but I have had some of the best nights of my life in the place. This kind of competition can do nothing for the the music scene(except sour it).

Of course I can see. And just for the record it will not be the council taking up any DJ. This programme is at least 3 - 4 years away which should give up ample opportunity to work out something with the North Star or whoever to look at doing different programmes. And who said anything at any time about taking up DJ's the same week or more importantly on the same night. No-one I can recall.

As it currently stands for example (although who knows how things will change in the interim) the NS is really only putting on DJ's at the moment, and even then only one night a week, so there is a great deal of room for alternative programmes and there are also more than one kind of DJ. Say for instance the NS did a techno night - well even then the venue could have a 60's night or whatever. Very different audiences I think anyone would agree. Or how about the venue having an under 18's night that night.

I've personally had, and will continue to have, some great nights in the North Star too and would fall well short of calling it a dump, but your entitled to your opinion. But just cause you are personally content does not necessarily mean that everyone else should be satisfied too. There are a whole range of local audiences, (including the under 18's who are not allowed in of course, except under special circumstances) who do not see the NS as their kind of place and a whole range of music Alan would never consider promoting in a commercial sense - or at least has not up to till now - let alone deliver all the development programmes as well. So I would like to think that this is very unlikely to sour the whole music scene as you suggest.

Its can be hardly making any contribution as it is.

Your words not mine.

Nobody knows (except Davie) what the final plans for the venue are. I heard it is going to have a session bar. Is this right? and if so is this fair?......A council run pub?

Sorry even I dont have the full and final picture. Please realise that the current business plan is only an indication of what could happen and how it could be made to work, it is NOT set in tablets of stone. That will ultimately be up to whoever runs the place and it most certainly will not be the council themselves.

One thing that nobody has picked up on as yet, presuming that many have read the feasibility study etc, is that the bar could even be franchised out to an existing operator - this option has yet to be fully equated so it might NOT be in 'competition' at all in that respect.

Everyone seems happy to accept rumours as gospel in this particular respect. There is NO session bar. There is 1 cafe bar and possibly a bar in the main hall open when functions take place. Can you see all our trad muscians sitting having a session in a small cafe bar (possibly in a corridor) rather than the Lounge or the Noost? I canna!!!

A "council run pub" - now that's about the furthest off the mark comment I have read to date and very unlikley to be the kind of venue I would personally waste my time on.

Come on. Give these poeple a break

I could do with one too.

Did anyone call the new museum a toy?? No we all see the highly positive benefits of that to our local cultural infrastructure. And there were no screams of "no consultation" either. Most just agreed its long overdue.

No, not a "toy" though I have concerns about some of the architectural features (on a cost basis) and I question the concept of the building being vulnerable to flooding when spring tides coincide with a storm surge. And so far I have not seen any benefits though I am sure they will come. What I have seen are tourists frustated by the old museum being closed with the excuse that the staff were needed to prepare for the move. I take it SIC has never embraced the concept of temporary staff.

I didn't pose my question about costs to other venues clearly enough. Perhaps I could give a couple of examples?

If the new venue happens, I assume the Garrison would no longer show films. How much revenue would the Garrison lose.

It will be run by the new Arts Development Agency by then anyway and a alternative will be found. It only operates one weekend a month in this respect anyway. There will be no conflict.

Equally, can anyone estimate how many gigs, and thus income, Clickimin would lose?

The Clickimin rarely puts on gigs in their own right anyway. Cant remember the last one. All the last individual gigs have been promoted by the Arts Trust (Steve Earle, Rodney Crowell, Proclaimers, Loudon Wainwright etc) and the Clickimin take the bar profits.

The main other users are the Folk Festival and the Accordion and Fiddle Festival but to the best of my knowledge they will still hold their bigger nights there and, given the demand for tickets, they might well be able to put on additional gigs in any new facility - that will be up to them.

As to the loss of bar profits at the CC, rare as they are, I cannot comment. I dont believe they will be too concerned to lose the actual concerts which seriously disrupt their primary provision - sporting activity. They have certainly not complained to us and we hold all our steering group meetings there.

Best to let them worry on their own behalf. They know the plans and both are or likely to be funded by the Charitable Trust, in other words the same source anyway, so again no conflict.

Interesting arguement seeing as its more the commercial / private sector that the debate is about. Surely the Clickimin would be in competition with them in those respects anyway.

I can believe that the eight facilities run by SRT had over 600,000 users, not all of them participating in sport of course. But lets get a true picture of paying customers by deducting schoolbairns in for swimming, etc before we start making comparisons.

Ah statistics again - when is a user not a user? Bet they all spend money though?

Guest Anonymous

If you guys are reffering to me, I am working from Orkney. I think most people know my view.

Davie give me a phone (01856) 876 576. I'll be away until Friday

Did anyone call the new museum a toy?? No we all see the highly positive benefits of that to our local cultural infrastructure. And there were no screams of "no consultation" either. Most just agreed its long overdue.

No, not a "toy" though I have concerns about some of the architectural features (on a cost basis) and I question the concept of the building being vulnerable to flooding when spring tides coincide with a storm surge. And so far I have not seen any benefits though I am sure they will come. What I have seen are tourists frustated by the old museum being closed with the excuse that the staff were needed to prepare for the move. I take it SIC has never embraced the concept of temporary staff.

All valid stuff but ouside my personal remit I'm afraid. It will all hopefully be considered though, and yes the venue business plan takes account of part time staff and considers volunteers as well believe it or not - we do get offers to help at most of our gigs.

do you have to use bold type? i have desided not to read then if you are shouting

Not shouting for goodness sake just highlighting my answer against the quote.

In Davie's defence he doesn’t use forums much and I'm sure he didn't mean to offend.

Davie, the use of bold (and capitals) for large paragraphs is not considered to be good etiquette on forums.

If you look in the boxes above the text box when you are doing replies you will see a 'quote' box. That might help you out a bit.

Cheers

Marvin

Guest Anonymous
If you guys are reffering to me, I am working from Orkney. I think most people know my view.

Hi Iain, as far as the annonymous postings go, the Shetlink team wasn't refering to you.

It would be good to hear your views about the issue on this forum.....

Hi Bryan, just spoke to Davie on the phone. I will admit that we have encouraged staff to "have a go " on this site. I will give you my views on the issue later. I'm in Orkney this week and won't have much time. Although I will say that Davie and I had a good conversation and did find some common ground on the project. Its a hot tattie this one !

Hi Bryan, just spoke to Davie on the phone. I will admit that we have encouraged staff to "have a go " on this site. I will give you my views on the issue later. I'm in Orkney this week and won't have much time. Although I will say that Davie and I had a good conversation and did find some common ground on the project. Its a hot tattie this one !

Hi Iain. Thanks for your honesty! I look forward to hearing your case regarding this "hot tattie"

All the best for eenoo

do you have to use bold type? i have desided not to read then if you are shouting

In Davie's defence he doesn’t use forums much and I'm sure he didn't mean to offend.

Davie, the use of bold (and capitals) for large paragraphs is not considered to be good etiquette on forums.

If you look in the boxes above the text box when you are doing replies you will see a 'quote' box. That might help you out a bit.

Ah dis modern age - no problem.

Cheers

Marvin

Cheers

Marvin

Ah dis modern age - no problem