Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Where does the charitable trusts money come from?

The oil companies and the stock market.

Oh thats right they fund the council as well!!

Not sure what this means. The CT doesn't 'fund' the council.

It's all public money at the end of the day.

I suppose it depends how you define it. The money doesn't come from taxation, so it's not public in the usual sense of the word.

Our monies come from various places, govt,taxes,oil and stockmarket, thats true but it gets spent on the shetland public so to me that means it's public money. The other coment about funding the council refers to the amount that the council has been taking to fund its various needs. I hope that the building is a success and is enjoyed by all, i just fear that possible extra maintenence will add to running costs which we may not be able to afford.

• 2 months later...
God, it is ugly. Two words spring to mind:

Wasted

Space.

How is that?

I still cannot work out why the space is wasted, if you read the minutes of the stakeholders meetings you will see that there is much to do in that space.

The use of the building by the college is fantastic, such a great opportunity. I hope to have some sort of involvement, even while I am in the NW.

God, it is ugly. Two words spring to mind:

Wasted

Space.

How is that?

I still cannot work out why the space is wasted

That says it all really, SP. Multi-functional buildings seldom tend to deliver. I'm sure having, for example, a heavy metal band with decent amps and speakers going full pelt will be in a totally sound proof auditorium and, at the same time perhaps, OU students trying to hear their lecturer a few metres away.

You only have to look at the new fangled academy open-plan schools, also allegedly multi-functional, to see that they simply do not work.

Yep, a waste of space, a waste of dosh, a total eyesore.

It is not open plan.

Your schools you quote are not for the general population.

Who in their right mind would put OU students in a room next door to a concert? Condemning the management before they really have had a go.

Currently, Shetland has some students in a crumbling antiquity on the top of a hill near the Old Cemetery (it is good in there, loads of names linked with Lerwick, and Shetland history).

Shame you feel that way, before it has even been opened, that will tarnish any visit you do make to it.

^ With all due respect, SP, Academy schools ARE for the general population in many a city throughout the UK.

That aside, Mareel is to have two cinema screens and the auditorium. So evening classes (perhaps) aside, are you seriously suggesting that the soundproofing is super duper, let alone that the all important bar/cafe could cope?

^ With all due respect, SP, Academy schools ARE for the general population in many a city throughout the UK.

That aside, Mareel is to have two cinema screens and the auditorium. So evening classes (perhaps) aside, are you seriously suggesting that the soundproofing is super duper, let alone that the all important bar/cafe could cope?

Nope, but it will be managed. Why has that bit been forgotten.

Oh, academy schools, an unknown quantity as far as costs to the tax payer, generally a well performing school. The cost per pupil is far greater than the cost per pupil at a comprehensive. The general population will not benefit (they will pay more for the academy status) , just those who are at the more expensive to run school.

The Mareel is for all, it has facilities that can only enhance the lives of those who will use it. Even the grumpy habitually moaner may take delight if viewed with an open mind.

Mareel has been built, it's not going anywhere. What can come of bitching about it and generally being negative for the sake of being negative. Baffling, truly baffling.
I wholeheartedly agree. We have, or will have shortly, a brand new cinema, music venue and various other things all in a nice enough location. Give the place a chance, give the management a chance. And if it starts to fail then try changing what can be changed such as the management rather than blaming the building.

And talking of that management what are the chances of some limited late night transport being organised so that people living far from Lerwick get a chance to go to the odd event without having to pay a fortune for transport home?. No I am not joking. Could be that there are sources of funding to allow people living in remoter areas (North Isles for example) to attend an event in Mareel and get home afterwards at no cost to the SIC or Shetland Arts.

JustMe, the minutes of the last stakeholders meeting talk of this, the productions will be timed for transport back to other isles.

I am sure that when this takes off there may be additional enhancements for transport. As mentioned before, perhaps a ticket and B&B room deal could be offered. The good thing about this is the DOGMA is way behind in the distance, it is one of the benefits of FORWARD thinking.

I am also sure you can put your suggestions in writing for the committee to comment about, Bryan may be able to advise further....

Mareel has been built, it's not going anywhere. What can come of bitching about it and generally being negative for the sake of being negative. Baffling, truly baffling.

Absolutely nothing nederlander but remember this is Shetlink or 'Slaglink' as I call it where you can basically post what you want, when you want, without the fear of any reprisals other than a friendly ticking off from the Mods!!