Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

The Access panel at Disability Shetland had a considerable input on disability access for Mareel and were quite pleased at what was achieved. They may be able to help on specific issues

Contact Disability Shetland 01595 743900

http://www.shetland-communities.org.uk/subsites/disability-shetland/access-panel

Thanks MJ, will be in contact with them.

The helpful member of staff at Shetland Arts (who, incidentally, did say that Bryan was away until January) has sent through to me several of the Stakeholders' Minutes for which I am grateful. Tis splendid to see that Roland are involved. :D

The Minutes do refer to Disability Shetland being involved re the branding/signing but from what I have read so far, no mention of other involvement such as an access audit.

Icepick, you will be pleased to hear that the couch is not getting weighted down with the paperwork from said Minutes as I'm being green and not printing them out. :wink:

serously why so much intrest. could you not put your skills to a more useful use. CAB are always crying out for folks to help them.

by the way if the new drug that your looking at to treat you arthritis is an injectable one then study the side effects carefully.

Is one referring to moi?

Surely one isn't suggesting that a person living in Shetland should not have interest in Mareel?

I wasn't aware I was looking at a new drug. :shock:

3. The kind of materials that are being used are quite obviously not adequate for Shetland's extreme climate. By my calculations, most of the building will have evaporated by next Christmas, and all that will be left will be the dance studio and Kathy Hubbard's desk. Is this true? And if not, why not?

No, it is not true. Kathy Hubbards desk has been commissioned from an arts project operating in South American prisons. It is being built by blind children from papier-mâché so there is no chance that it will survive a customs import inspection, never mind the Shetland climate.

serously why so much intrest. could you not put your skills to a more useful use. CAB are always crying out for folks to help them.

by the way if the new drug that your looking at to treat you arthritis is an injectable one then study the side effects carefully.

Is one referring to moi?

Surely one isn't suggesting that a person living in Shetland should not have interest in Mareel?

I wasn't aware I was looking at a new drug. :shock:

Fatal Paper Cut wrote:

unlinkedstudent wrote:

Whilst I am currently in the foulest of moods due to the old psoriatic arthritis playing up big time and hence not in the clearest of minds to type (which means I'll probably waffle more than usual), it would be appreciated SP if you could note the following:

Completely off topic, but I have the same condition. Go and see Jim Unsworth at the Gilbert Bain. He gave me a new drug that cleared my psoriasis for the 1st time in ten years, and my joints have never felt better.

I do. Sending pm.

its a newish drug but has lots of side effects so i thought you would be wise to watch out. but as your not then it does not matter

The helpful member of staff at Shetland Arts (who, incidentally, did say that Bryan was away until January) has sent through to me several of the Stakeholders' Minutes for which I am grateful. Tis splendid to see that Roland are involved. :D

The Minutes do refer to Disability Shetland being involved re the branding/signing but from what I have read so far, no mention of other involvement such as an access audit.

The Access coordinater at Disability Shetland spoke to me about it when Mareel was at the design stage. They were involved in the design.

• 2 weeks later...

[***Mod Edit - Merged with existing thread***]

Just came across this video of inside the Mareel cinema and thought I would share in case you haven't seen it.

http://www.shetlandarts.org/shetland-arts-discusses-plans-for-cinema-in-mareel/

Sounds great but I'm wondering how it's going to afford to run it. We had a new single screen in the centre of the city where I used to live, great location (as well as the multiplex well outside of town). It showed the guaranteed crowd pullers Harry Potters, Matrix 2 & 3, LOTR, etc), but still didn't make enough money to stay open... and it had live performances on the stage too.

Mareel one is showing the expensive big budget films as well as something on most of the time it seems.

I hope it does work though :)

Sounds great but I'm wondering how it's going to afford to run it. We had a new single screen in the centre of the city where I used to live, great location (as well as the multiplex well outside of town). It showed the guaranteed crowd pullers Harry Potters, Matrix 2 & 3, LOTR, etc), but still didn't make enough money to stay open... and it had live performances on the stage too.

Mareel one is showing the expensive big budget films as well as something on most of the time it seems.

I hope it does work though :)

the biggest difference is shetland does not have a large multiplex so mareel will be the place to go and watch films

It will also free up the Garrison for other shows. Regardless of your thoughts on the building. It is quite exciting.

What other shows?

Answer, none: no-body apart from the Up-Helly-Aa committee for mass meetings.

Who would want to put on a show in the uncomfortable, poorly ventilated Garrision when there is a multi-million £ all singing all-dancing (pun intended,) state-of-the-art, purpose built facility just down the road?

It will also free up the Garrison for other shows. Regardless of your thoughts on the building. It is quite exciting.

I think it will be very interseting what 4 days a month free will do the the use of the Garrison.

I am looking forward to seeing lots more touring drama coming up from south, that if there is any money to actualy do it! budgets have all be cut!

If you look back some months the films has been the only thing on