Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Yet another movie showcasing da mareels potential wid b a showing of 2012's...

'Elefante Blanco'

Plot:The title of Pablo Trapero's new film is the nickname given in Argentina to the colossal ruins of what was once intended to be a tuberculosis hospital, built in the 1930s and long since abandoned. It is now a wrecked cathedral of poverty and despair in the "Villa Virgin", the toughest shantytown in Buenos Aires; here is where the poor and the homeless take refuge and where the drug dealers ply their trade and make recruits. The shots of this hideous yet weirdly fascinating building.....

Hmm soonds lik dir gaen ta b mony simalarities wi da plot o dis movie an da mareel itsel...tink yu?

'Elefante Blanco'

Because despite the fact that the head of HIE thinks it's a worthwhile investment, the head of Scottish Arts thinks it's a worthwhile investment, Shetland Islands Council thinks it's a worthwhile investment (they must do - they commissioned it), along with the National Lottery and various other funding bodies, the people who run Shetland Arts, Mark Kermode and Professor Linda Ruth Williams and a slew of creative young folk in Shetland who want to make use of the building, YOUR opinion is obviously the more insightful.

Obviously, all the highly talented professionals who have to study the business plans and decide carefully whether to invest their money into a major arts venue based upon a variety of scenarios and projections know nothing. It's a shame in a way that you didn't stand for local elections. The community as a whole would have benefited enormously from your clarity of forethought and presumably, considerable business an financial acumen.

Or is it that you're just an idiot on the internet who talks a lot but has nothing useful to say? About anything?

'Elefante Blanco'

Because despite the fact that the head of HIE thinks it's a worthwhile investment, the head of Scottish Arts thinks it's a worthwhile investment, Shetland Islands Council thinks it's a worthwhile investment (they must do - they commissioned it), along with the National Lottery and various other funding bodies, the people who run Shetland Arts, Mark Kermode and Professor Linda Ruth Williams and a slew of creative young folk in Shetland who want to make use of the building, YOUR opinion is obviously the more insightful.

Obviously, all the highly talented professionals who have to study the business plans and decide carefully whether to invest their money into a major arts venue based upon a variety of scenarios and projections know nothing. It's a shame in a way that you didn't stand for local elections. The community as a whole would have benefited enormously from your clarity of forethought and presumably, considerable business an financial acumen.

Or is it that you're just an idiot on the internet who talks a lot but has nothing useful to say? About anything?

With all due respect, those in 'the Arts' have been criticised many a time in the UK for not being that 'savvy' when it comes down to knowing how to make a profit and for wanting too much out of the public purse. "Highly talented professionsal who have to study the business plans" - excuse me, that doesn't mean to say they have the ability to realise the damn place will make a huge loss, now does it?

The SIC might be criticised for wanting too much in one building; perhaps they thought Mareel meant tardis. :wink: Is Mareel what the majority or the minority of Shetlanders wanted? It may well now be a case of having to support it because it has the potential to become a huge white elephant but does that mean if events are on that aren't your cup of tea that you should attend?

Oh well, we'll have to wait and see, won't we?

Profit? Is that is all it is to folk?

The profit is a venue that has many uses. I wonder how tin pot accountants and business experts on here can have any weight against those who have put their money where their mouths are.

Those who objected, it seems their thrust bearing has gone, just a constant whine now! No doubt we will hear it again very soon.

There was never any serious objection, well not on here, cloak rooms and toilets, piffle, sound proofing, again, no sense to that line.

The profit is a venue that has many uses. I wonder how tin pot accountants and business experts on here can have any weight against those who have put their money where their mouths are.

Those who objected, it seems their thrust bearing has gone, just a constant whine now! No doubt we will hear it again very soon.

There was never any serious objection, well not on here, cloak rooms and toilets, piffle, sound proofing, again, no sense to that line.

I never said profit was the be all and end all but making a comment about business plans and investment, so to speak. Money where their mouths are? Isn't a lot of it from public funds? Yes, there is sponsorship for the likes of Roland - excellent perhaps, but then what do they gain from it?

There has been serious objections on here, you not gone back to the beginning of the thread?

Cloakrooms, toilet, piffle, soundproofing - YOU might not care about soundproofing and if there are multiple layers of soundproofing then great - but if you happened to live across the road from it and felt the vibration, you might give a stuff about soundproofing/vibration dampening measures, likewise if you had purchased a cinema ticket and your enjoyment of a film was ruined by hearing other activities going on in the building. If it works well then GREAT. Will it make a profit? I doubt it. Come on now SP, which is it: Care homes' closures or the SIC prop up Mareel?

Is Mareel what the majority or the minority of Shetlanders wanted?

You see this depends entirely on your social circle I have come to believe. Hand on my heart, I can count on one hand the number of people I know who are opposed to the project. Way back when it started to be discussed in the mid 80's, I can't recall a single voice of objection (this is a recurring theme with objectors I have noticed, always way too late, where are they when it matters?).

Is Mareel what the majority or the minority of Shetlanders wanted?

You see this depends entirely on your social circle I have come to believe. Hand on my heart, I can count on one hand the number of people I know who are opposed to the project. Way back when it started to be discussed in the mid 80's, I can't recall a single voice of objection (this is a recurring theme with objectors I have noticed, always way too late, where are they when it matters?).

You make valid points, Spinner. That said, could it not perhaps be a case of what Mareel started off to be has changed somewhat from the original spec? All well and good peeps objecting at the beginning but from my understanding of the project, it seems, on the surface, that when more funding was required, the design seemed to change somewhat? So yes, it may well be the case that a music venue was at the forefront of peoples' minds but as time progressed, it seems as though more and more 'activities' have been squeezed into it - and when can people object to that?

As for counting on hands - I've only met 2 people who are for Mareel.

^^ Well there you go :)

But thats not a bad thing - If everyone liked the same thing life would be very boring indeed.

Yes, the spec has changed a lot (the bowling alley is gone for a start) but then technology has moved on incredibly in that time, but the basic premise is pretty much the same.

Its something I don't like to use as an argument, but can you imagine how frustrating it has been to see all these other great facilities be built and subsidized while the cinema and music venue constantly got knocked back?

The fact is, similar to the "New Anderson", it should have been built over a decade ago. Sometimes those who object to things are the very ones who increase costs and make things less viable (as appears to be going to happen with the windfarm.)

Ooops, almost went *seriously* ot there! So, whilst I firmly believe Mareel can break even, perhaps given a little time to tweak to fit demand patterns, I don't think there can be any argument at all against what a sound investment it is for the economy of Shetland as a whole.

You see this depends entirely on your social circle I have come to believe.

I'd have to agree with that, Spinner.

Regardless of how people feel about the expenditure, the rather unappealing external design of the place (in my humble opinion) and the raft of other criticisms that have been levelled at the project ad nauseam on this thread, I personally am really looking forward to the opening. It'll be something new and different; a chance to see some of the latest films, a modern music venue, a new bar and eatery, a state of the art studio....

For people that actually go out and interact with others (or even people that just want to watch a film alone) this can surely only be a good thing, no?

Hate to admit that I occasionally read SP's posts but, this one irritated me a little.

When/If the edifice starts making a loss, who's money do you think is going to get put where their mouths are???

After all, there will be 'jobs' to consider etc.

Maybe they will have to increase their prices to a level that makes it pay for itself and, no point criticising business plans. The one for the Mareel was a joke.

All I can see is a bunch of people with their hands out for the next cash drop..

whit aboot a first screening of the 2011 movie:

'Elephant White' Starring Kevin Bacon......

or a disaster movie maybe?.....

1980's 'When time ran out'

starring Da legendary Paul Newman: An active volcano threatens a south Pacific island resort and its guests as a power struggle ensues between the property's developer and a drilling foreman.

(Pacific island resort being da Mareel, Property developer being DITT and drilling foreman bein da shetland arts...or shood dat be da idder wy aroond?!...)

Hate to admit that I occasionally read SP's posts but, this one irritated me a little.

When/If the edifice starts making a loss, who's money do you think is going to get put where their mouths are???

After all, there will be 'jobs' to consider etc.

Maybe they will have to increase their prices to a level that makes it pay for itself and, no point criticising business plans. The one for the Mareel was a joke.

All I can see is a bunch of people with their hands out for the next cash drop..

I am pleased you read at least some of my posts, I did start to read through yours, I could not find a positive one. Saddening really.

You who are against it have already agreed it will lose money, so, time to put your hands in your pockets, you are prepared already.

Yet no real proven substantive argument has been put forward against it, where is the evidence? There has been evidence for the project.

With all due respect, those in 'the Arts' have been criticised many a time in the UK for not being that 'savvy' when it comes down to knowing how to make a profit and for wanting too much out of the public purse. "Highly talented professionsal who have to study the business plans" - excuse me, that doesn't mean to say they have the ability to realise the damn place will make a huge loss, now does it?

The SIC might be criticised for wanting too much in one building; perhaps they thought Mareel meant tardis. :wink: Is Mareel what the majority or the minority of Shetlanders wanted? It may well now be a case of having to support it because it has the potential to become a huge white elephant but does that mean if events are on that aren't your cup of tea that you should attend?

Oh well, we'll have to wait and see, won't we?

Whether they majority of Shetlanders wanted it or not I couldn't say. I haven't personally been round knocking on doors with a questionnaire for over 21,000 people. What I do know is that the the last council voted for it in a democratic process. And yes, the various funding bodies all have their own experts who can work through all the various scenarios and cash flow projections, etc, etc before they'll hand over money to a project like this. And guess what - they all reached the same conclusion - they think it'll make money. And it will - the costs involved in showing films alone will be dramatically lower than it ever was at the likes of the North Star or even the Garrison, when you're on the back end of a release circuit and films turn up on massive reels delivered by courier. And then have to be transferred and spliced together into one single reel. Mareel's cinema programming is going to be on a 1st release circuit. The films come on a hard drive. All the hard manual work is taken out of the equation, along with the associated transport costs.

There are plenty of small, thriving independent cinemas still operating in the UK, where they don't necessarily have the benefits of digital distribution/projection. Yet they're still on the go and doing well and turning a profit. I don't see any reason to doubt that Mareel will do the same. There's also the benefits of a decently specced music performance venue. It's not as big as the Clickamin, but it'll be a damn sight easier and cheaper to set up and perform there, as you're not having to hire in equipment from south to make it all possible. I suspect you'll get the occasional big name concert still going on in the Clickamin, but more and more arriving artists will be switching their appearances to take place at Mareel.

Oh, and no - closing care homes has nothing to do with the funding of Mareel. Separate pots. They can't be crossed over. It's a tired argument and a false one.