Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

The bowling alley/cinema was going to be positioned where DITT's yard is now. DITT and George Hepburn were trying to fund it, can't remember what happened to the idea am afraid.

I think the problem was that to make a bowling alley a viable proposition, you have to have a much larger population than Shetland could ever have.

The bowling alley/cinema was going to be positioned where DITT's yard is now. DITT and George Hepburn were trying to fund it, can't remember what happened to the idea am afraid.

I think the problem was that to make a bowling alley a viable proposition, you have to have a much larger population than Shetland could ever have.

More than likely, the one in Kirkwall closed down a few year ago, i'd imagine that would have been because of the same problem.

Regarding the North Star. In the late 90's the owner went to the SIC with a business plan to revive the cinema having gone all over the UK researching various cinema venues and there operations. He was looking for a sum of money to help go someway into getting this done only to be given short shrift!!

Wikipedia has a good breakdown of the events that span the closure of the North Star and leading up to the the present day, for anyone not sure of the timeline.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mareel

The architects' website shows some of the other buildings they've worked on. I don't think you could describe them as inexperienced in this sort of build by any means. I think the competition they refer to is usually known as "submitting to tender". I'm pretty sure they didn't send in a postcard to be drawn from a hat.

http://www.garethhoskinsarchitects.co.uk/projects/arts-and-culture/

It was certainly a blow when they North Star stopped films, though I do remember them being several months behind releases.

If I remember rightly the Clickamin opened its doors around the same time, I remember having a dram there with my good friend.

I certainly think the Mareel will enhance the education prospects of young folks, especially all of my wee cousins, mind, I am loosing count.

It would be great to link up in some way. One thing I have always done is encourage folk to visit and have supported local bands and businesses in Shetland, no reason to stop really.

I would guess the reasons for my involvement is my family and the folk I care for. Shetland is, on the whole a great place. Why would I not want to be involved. I also visit quite allot.

When I compare the posts here to that of the multitude of blogs and the Promote Shetland sites that say how nice it is and how friendly the folk are, I feel a little annoyed and saddened that sometimes folk seem to have nothing better to do, than to say differently. Even more so when in one or two cases, it is of their own doing. Maybe the opinions are a reflection of something not being openly revealed who knows.

Perhaps there should be actual involvement, instead of anonymous gesticulations on a forum that most of Shetland has little or no time for. I cannot for the life of me understand why! The worst part is that these posters seem only to comment to try and get the worst of folk.

Mareel is here, and despite it being possibly a major drain on resources for evermore were stuck with it.

So i guess the proof is in the pudding, if it can deliver a diverse, multi functional, & popular alternative to the dross that passes for "entertainment facilites" on this island then it will be worthwhile...if not it shall be destined for more council offices or even better a lap dancing venue in the future, perhaps a certain ex councillor will have a lasting legacy afterall... :D [/i]

Ah, I came up for my friends wedding while doing my apprenticeship, he was married at 18, that would have been 1988. It was his final Stag Doo. Though not all the Clickamin was there at the time. I worked in a cinema south until 1989 from 1979. Elevated from ticket collector/usher to projectionist, I have recollections of talk of a new building that had 3 screens in just after. I am sure it was mentioned that it could be at the Clickamin....I could be wrong.

...I think the competition they refer to is usually known as "submitting to tender". I'm pretty sure they didn't send in a postcard to be drawn from a hat.

http://www.garethhoskinsarchitects.co.uk/projects/arts-and-culture/

No, it wasn't the usual standard tendering process; see link from the architects that came 2nd.

http://www.richardmurphyarchitects.com/50696