Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

^ I'm sure Bryan has already been advised of all my faults by some of my relatives.

@ Bryan: We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one too, and see what happens.....but hat aff ta you for putting head above parapet on this thread eenoo, brave man. :wink:

I actually have nae idea whaa du is Ghostrider!

I'm happy to agree to disagree (although I'm not sure what we're disagreeing about!). And I'm more thick skinned than I am brave (or should that just be 'thick') :wink:

And if you still dinna think there ir enough parkin spaces. Perhaps you could use the parking spaces at da cooncil buildings at da Nort Ness,or EVEN those in da Fort rod car park. And if you would even countenance walking da bruks o 300 yards you COULD (wait for it) park in da market street car park. Now if you irna a toonie and hav been bent double howkin' taatties aa your life I realise I am being insensitive. mebbe dir could be be some kinda asstral projection for da witless? :) I live in forlorn hope. FFS!

Why are you all going on about parking? bit late now, thats a thing that would have been discussed and sorted at the planning stage, no?

It all sounds good so far, nice big fat seats in Cinema 1 screen 3x bigger than the Garrison, cup holders for our pints.....

Although I'm not sure what to think of 'cinema 2' - small screen, seats like the Garrison. More a trainning room than 'cinema' to me. but we need to get it all going, batman, ice age and other summer blockbusters out and we are missing them.

So chop chop guys we are desprate to get the films going :lol: Please... :lol:

If they could just get the foyer and cinema going, that would be a good start the cafe and the rest can come when its ready.

Why are you all going on about parking? bit late now, thats a thing that would have been discussed and sorted at the planning stage, no?

It all sounds good so far, nice big fat seats in Cinema 1 screen 3x bigger than the Garrison, cup holders for our pints.....

Although I'm not sure what to think of 'cinema 2' - small screen, seats like the Garrison. More a trainning room than 'cinema' to me. but we need to get it all going, batman, ice age and other summer blockbusters out and we are missing them.

So chop chop guys we are desprate to get the films going :lol: Please... :lol:

If they could just get the foyer and cinema going, that would be a good start the cafe and the rest can come when its ready.

I was in Mareel the other week. Screen 2's seating is exactly the same as Screen 1, with the same sort of legroom.

I was in Mareel the other week. Screen 2's seating is exactly the same as Screen 1, with the same sort of legroom.

That's the best news I've heard here - I rarely watch blockbuster films so am likely to be using Screen 2 more, and the last time I sat through a 2 film showing at the Garrison it took 24 hours to get the feeling back in my hind quarters!

I was lucky enough to be shown around Mareel last week and it looks superb. Cinema 1 has super comfortable seating, like armchairs and everyone has leg room and an excellent view of the screen. Cinema 2 is smaller but has identical seating to cinema 1and again plenty of legroom and just as comfortable. It will be fine for films that will attract a smaller audience and you will still have a first rate cinema experience.

The main auditorium takes the biscuit for me. The raked seating pulls out from the back wall and the apron stage comes right out to meet it, with two balcony wings either side and above the tiered seating. It will be a superb music venue. giving performers an intimate audience experience. It is virtually eye-to-eye contact, so it will be a great place to generate real enjoyment for an audience with everyone getting a clear view and the feel of having the performers just in front of you, even from the back row.

Then, if the intention is to have a Shetland-style concert, followed by dancing, within 20 minutes, whilst the audience goes to the cafe bar, the whole of the seating slides away against the back wall and the auditorium is cleared for dancing. Alternatively, it can be set out cabaret-style, with tables around the room with performers coming off stage and into the auditorium. It is going to be a fantastic place. No wonder it has drawn so much praise from the funding agencies, who see it as a national asset that will attract international artists. To think that we nearly didn't succeed in landing it because of so much prejudice against it by some people without vision.

Once it is up and running, people will see it as a fabulous resource, even the nay-sayers. We are certainly going to get our money's worth.