Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

I was under the impression that an sia contractor is a firm that hires out security staff - hence the need for a database.

I suspect that all Mareels doormen will be employed to work only for the Shetland arts development agency, and they won't be contracting them out.

Yet another poorly veiled attempt to find issues where there are none.

Oh crumbs, I keep forgetting you're not allowed to be human and use the 'wrong word' on this forum - 'contractor' in this case. Either way:-

'wrong word'? No, you werent using the 'wrong word' as far as I could tell. You were using the right word, but applying it erroneously.

Not nearly the same thing.

As someone said, Mareel is here, let's make the best of it.

And if you don't want to go - well, don't.

I don't believe awards are being handed out for misquotes.

I must remember to make a mental note never to post anything on here that could be regarded as being negative then, is that what you are saying? Even playground? You just want to hear/read everyone saying how marvellous it is? Yup, utopia.

When is it opening? How much are the tickets? Yep, those questions are okay in your book it would appear but nothing else.

Wow, they're having club/DJ nights but hey, let's remember the drinking policy. After all, I'm sure the regular clubbers will remember they're going out to dance only and not to get 'merry'.

Whether you like it or not, Mareel has a lot to live up to. Will it break even? Hopefully, yes. But what if it doesn't? We don't know.

Will I go to the cinema? Perhaps but then like a lot of folk even when a cinema was on my doorstep, you'd be lucky if I went more than once a year. Will I go "Wow" like those mentioned in the press upon seeing a modern day cinema? Probably not, given that with the amount of money spent on the place, I wouldn't expect anything less than a functional cinema that looks no different (from the photographs anyway) to those dotted up and down the UK already.

People have a limited amount of spare cash. Many venues rely on the sale of popcorn, sweets, refreshments and, dare I say it, alcohol, in order to break even. Just how many people are going to have to attend in order for it to break even and have people got the spare cash to attend on such a regular basis?

Be it funded by grants or money from the SIC, one thing is for sure - tax payers are footing a lot of the bill (or gamblers, if you include the National Lottery Fund) and if it makes a profit, all well and good.

misquotes.

I must remember to make a mental note never to post anything on here that could be regarded as being negative then

I don't think that's possible. Besides, your PC would look like it belonged to Miss Havisham from a lack of use.

LOL @ Miss Havisham. Best not mention that Mareel could be regarded as an investment to nurture and support Shetland's up and coming young talented musicians then. ... or would that be too much of a great expectation from such an outstanding venue?:wink:

I must remember to make a mental note never to post anything on here that could be regarded as being negative then, is that what you are saying? Even playground? You just want to hear/read everyone saying how marvellous it is? Yup, utopia.

Absolutely not. But then you are inventing problems which don't exist and dragging them out to the absolute limit. Is there any part of the Mareel project which you haven't scrutinised to microscopic proportions? Even after you admitted you were wrong over the parking non-issue, you went and carried your arguement on over that again.

It just demonstrates to me that the Mareel detracters really have no grounds for their objections and are desperately clutching at any straws they can to try and bring the place down.

It's here, it's opening! Get over it!

Absolutely not. But then you are inventing problems which don't exist and dragging them out to the absolute limit. Is there any part of the Mareel project which you haven't scrutinised to microscopic proportions? Even after you admitted you were wrong over the parking non-issue, you went and carried your arguement on over that again.

It just demonstrates to me that the Mareel detracters really have no grounds for their objections and are desperately clutching at any straws they can to try and bring the place down.

It's here, it's opening! Get over it!

I'm not, IMHO, 'inventing problems'. If the reader wants to read and construe that, it is down to him/her. I commented on the searching and when somebody replied, I replied back in most instances. Re the car parking - I apologised twice - but hey, YOU'VE just got to bring it up again.

IF the Trust had decided to be more open and publicise stakeholders' meeting minutes since 2011, then perhaps those of us who are sceptical about Mareel might take a different stance.

As for clutching at straws, I don't think I'll need to, given the fancy drink holders in the cinema. :wink:

Jesus H Chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiist, these last few pages are pathetic, arguing the toss over what?

Its actually a friggin embarassment to this site and the people that run it.

Is this what Shetlink was intended for endless sprootle, written by people who like to see themselves type and have to nitpick just to have something to do in their lives. Its actually been a fine day out there today. ESPECIALLY at Da Ness FFS git oot more!!

I've been told for a source close to the Shetland Hero, Stuart Hill, that he is planning to protest at the claims that Shetland has to come under the security laws as Scotland! I have been informed also that he plans to 'Attack' Mareel via rowing boat at high tide, thus moving around the east side of the building before claiming Mareel for his own!! Hoo-Rah!!!

Jesus H Chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiist, these last few pages are pathetic, arguing the toss over what?

Its actually a friggin embarassment to this site and the people that run it.

Is this what Shetlink was intended for endless sprootle, written by people who like to see themselves type and have to nitpick just to have something to do in their lives. Its actually been a fine day out there today. ESPECIALLY at Da Ness FFS git oot more!!

....and FFS change the effing record.

Whatever kind of a day it been at the Ness, it makes not one blind bit of difference to getting out for some of us. A f***ed body only gets so far in a day, be it sun, snaw or rain.

Kin boring. MO still true to form. Give it up, please, for some one who complains about a lack of bandwidth, you certainly know how to fill what is available.

I am saddened that I could not attend any "opening" ceremony, very happy, despite the bile givers it has got to the point of opening, soon. It will be a good thing!! I am sure,

I would but despite several requests to MODs they wont Install an ignore function

I don't think that they won't do it I just don't think they can with the software being used to run the forum. They need to update to the newer version of the software where you can add enemys or foes and their posts aren't shown to you.

I do agree though it would be a nice function to have.

I would but despite several requests to MODs they wont Install an ignore function

I don't think that they won't do it I just don't think they can with the software being used to run the forum. They need to update to the newer version of the software where you can add enemys or foes and their posts aren't shown to you.

I do agree though it would be a nice function to have.

You can say that again.

It would enable me to read the site without having to put up with the bombastic self righteous pish spouted by some.