Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/5439-mareel-this-time-it-s-for-real

However while that great demonstration of resolve and imagination was opened with a bold fanfare – Prince Charles and Queen Sonja of Norway gracing the ceremony five years ago – Mareel’s opening night was more of a tentative trumpet note.

What the hell has the museum opening got to do with mareel?

The design changes excuse is a myth which DITT blurted out as their excuse for delay. Very few changes were made. There was one delay caused by weather and no plausible explanation for all the other delays has ever been offered by anyone from DITT, only "design changes". There will no doubt be questions asked at some point before the final accounting, probably by lawyers, as that is how these things usually have to be settled, in court, but any reasons offered up will have to be proven in some detail. The myth of multiple design changes will certainly be exposed then.

The SADA business plan includes the likely revenue costs of Mareel. It sets out how much revenue can expect to be raised using very modest attendances, assuming an achievable number of events of varied kinds and reasonable ticket prices, as well as other means of raising revenue from customers, like food and drink sales.

I attended Mareel tonight and enjoyed the National Jazz Yoiuth Orchestra of Scotland. There was a good house with just a couple of dozen empty seats and in the interval, the bar/cafe did very good business. It even hosted an after-concert session by a local jazz ensemble. Most people I spoke to expressed delight at the new facilities and were certainly planning further visits.

The quality of the sound system was excellent, the musicians themselves were the first to praise it and there is no doubt that Mareel is going to be a nationally and internationally significant venue for music of all kinds. As the NYJOS musical director said to the audience, "The people who planned this Mareel venue got it absolutely right. It is a fantastic facility, we want to come back!"

This sort of reaction by professional musicians shows the planned investments in Mareel (they were competitive bids for investment and the donors had to be convinced that the results would justify their investment) were sound and would bear fruit. Mareel is now being seen as model to aspire to by other arts organisations in Britain. And remember, there is no plan to subsidise Mareel. It has to meet its overheads and turn a profit, which is what the staff have been carefully planning for.

The education functions of Mareel in the field of music are going to be very, very successful. It offers an amazing study environment and will soon be bringing in students from a wide variety of places at home and abroad who will want to develop their music careers through Mareel.

I think we should all now be able to enjoy the fruits of all these labours that have delivered this facility to us and leave it to the lawyers to sort out the mess of the construction timetable. Mareel is finally here and it is open and it will speak for itself. Get along to enjoy a performance or two there yourself as soon as you can and you will be pleasantly surprised at how fine this building is and how well laid out for music and other performances and for cinema. You are really missing something if you don't.

^ How much did that advert cost?!?

Along with John Robertson's OTT gushing one in the Times the other week also masquerading as an "article", isn't the P.R. and spin being a bit overdone now?!?

Much of the problem for many with Mareel now is that they are sick and tired of being "told", "it is brilliant, and you will like it".

Much of the problem for many with Mareel now is that they are sick and tired of being "told", "it is brilliant, and you will like it".

Much of the problem of this thread is that some people are desperate to find fault with Mareel without actually having ever set foot in the place, and blow every tiny niggle that can find into something completely out of proportion.

^ I guess it all depends whether you read it as looking for fault, or attempting to enquire about possible issues of concern/apparent potential problems while the build was still at a stage that some level of modification was still reasonably possible to rectify it. There is plain criticism, and criticism that was intended as constructive, but when faced with the stone wall of shooting down by any means possible any and all comment that had any hint of negativity that has gone on on this thread for at least the last 10 months, I can see how the two may well have become confused by some.

Considering its only been open to the general public as of Saturday and only one function has been hosted in it, not all that many people have so far had opportunity to set foot in it. Before that, as someone else commented, it seems only the "chosen few" were given the opportunity, as while invitations were extended to some to view, there were others who expressed an interest in viewing whose invite never materialised.

Ghostrider, no one has said you will like Mareel.

You don't have to go to Mareel and you would perhaps feel unhappy there having done your best to slate it for so very long.

Perhaps you should save your energy and give up the stuggle and just let the rest of us enjoy it? --Or do you intend spoiling our enjoyment of Mareel?

It's open, it's good, it will be a success. Get used to it and move on.

^ Try reading my previous posts.

I would like to like Mareel, I would like to go to Mareel. However, given that it is so much of a "something for everybody, nothing to anybody" design, I doubt I will have the opportunity to do either.

I wasn't aware I was "slating" it, or is anybody who does not gush and enthuse about how much better than sliced bread it is, automatically "slating" it. It is there, it *may* be fit for purpose, or it may not, that test has not been done yet. It may well do what it says on the tin well enough to do, it may not, but when anyone or anything is attempted to be elevated by some to by beyond criticism, the society that tolerates it is creeping in to very dangerous territory.

I fail to see how I am spoiling anyone's enjoyment of Mareel, if I'd had that intent, I'd have acted on Flea's suggestion.... If anything I write on an anonymous internet page can spoil anyone's enjoyment of it, then it didn't take much spoiling, especially as nobody is being forced to read anything I write.

"Its open", yes. "Its good", perhaps, but perhaps not, time and usage will tell and anyone who has already made a judgement otherwise IMHO is being highly rash and careless. I am used to it, and I have no intentions of moving anywhere, I want to use it, but am yet to be convinced that it will do what it says on the tin.

I would like to like Mareel, I would like to go to Mareel. However, ... I doubt I will have the opportunity to do either.

Surely you will be attending the Cerys Matthews event?

He doesn't like her new stuff. Now if it had been Catatonia, that would be a different story.

Oh blow it, which bit of Ghostie's previous posts do peeps NOT understand? I'm going to make no apology here for being defensive (Edit: But to you, EM, I do, if you didn't see those particular posts but many did)

Page 135 anyone? http://www.shetlink.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=3350

Granted, he's written in Shetland lingo in one post - but even I managed to understand that!

One day, He WILL get to Mareel. The amount of effort to get there will probably mean I'll need a week off work though.

Edit: Bryan, see if your promoter can get Doro up!

sooooo LOVIN da mareel ryt now!!!.....its all i cood ever have hoped fur an more!!!.... im off ta see Batman at it dis weekend!!!...

Is it on?

I canna find it in the listings on the 'whats on' part of the Shetland boxoffice website.

He's pulling the p1ss but the question does have to be asked why It's not showing, it must be the biggest film of the year!!!