Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Apologies if this has been discussed in the 148 previous pages.

Haven't they made a marketing mistake by not including a proper working kitchen to cater for sit down meals e.g for weddings etc.?

Having been in the trade I can say with certainty that outside catering has its place but loses something when you are looking for something with a bit more pzazz.

I was dumbfounded to hear it can't do this sort of catering.

Haven't they made a marketing mistake by not including a proper working kitchen to cater for sit down meals e.g for weddings etc.?

Having been in the trade I can say with certainty that outside catering has its place but loses something when you are looking for something with a bit more pzazz.

Your dead right there, it has been discussed, Id never think of having a wedding in there, the main hall has no windows and resembles no more than a posh gym. I'd think of loads of wedding venues before i got to mareel.

On taking food in, well theire is a big difrence on taking sweets and drinks for the cinema and taking in a chip shop supper- stinking the place out.

You just wouldnt take hot cooked food into another establishment, well i wouldnt. But i would take a jacket full of snacks for the cinema. If you have a big family it would cost a fortune to buy from the cinema wheather here or away.

You just wouldnt take hot cooked food into another establishment, well i wouldnt. But i would take a jacket full of snacks for the cinema. If you have a big family it would cost a fortune to buy from the cinema wheather here or away.

Fine, but just have the decency to bring quiet stuff and not subject us to your big family rustling their sweetie papers. My friend used to put unwrapped sweeties in a Tupperware box. I thought she was a bit odd, but in my irritable old age I now think she was genius.

Why would it?

They're not running a massive restaurant, so why would they need a massive kitchen? It's similar to the sort of food you get at Bonhoga, with a similar size kitchen and that manages perfectly well to serve a variety of meals at very busy lunchtimes.

:?

Why would it?

They're not running a massive restaurant, so why would they need a massive kitchen? It's similar to the sort of food you get at Bonhoga, with a similar size kitchen and that manages perfectly well to serve a variety of meals at very busy lunchtimes. :?

I believe it was mentioned as part of the marketing strategy (or at the very least at the stakeholder meetings) that Mareel could be hired out for wedding receptions and such an activity was regarded as potential income. A proper working kitchen does not need to be "massive" but many wedding caterers do require "a proper working kitchen".

Honestly, anyone would think you were on Mareel's pay roll. :wink:

Perhaps Mareel will look into becoming a venue where peeps can tie the knot though.

I have heard a lot of chat on here about taking your own food into the cinema. What is the deal with that? Who honestly thinks that is acceptable? Genuinely?

I lived south for years and you don't take your own food to the cinema unless it was sneaked in. It would be like taking food into a cafe! Both establishments rely on food sales for income. Why would they let you take your own food in? Some of the complaints on this forum are laughable quite frankly.

Neon Lights has a point re being on par with taking your own food into a cafe. However, as the clip posted by Hector's House demonstrates, many cinemas charge extortionate prices for the refreshments.

I don't think a ban (as mentioned in the youchoob clip) is fair but could understand them confiscating the snacks. However, perhaps Mareel management will take note of the comments concerning how the price of snacks might dissuade families from visiting due to the cost implications? As someone else mentioned, if there are 2 adults, 2 children and everyone has refreshments, it can be an expensive night out.

How about a royalty card? This could be along the same lines as some of the coffee outlets. Say on each occasion you purchased popcorn/coke/whatever, you got your card stamped. When the card was full, it entitled you to a free item of a set value.

Neon Lights has a point re being on par with taking your own food into a cafe. However, as the clip posted by Hector's House demonstrates, many cinemas charge extortionate prices for the refreshments.

I don't think a ban (as mentioned in the youchoob clip) is fair but could understand them confiscating the snacks. However, perhaps Mareel management will take note of the comments concerning how the price of snacks might dissuade families from visiting due to the cost implications? As someone else mentioned, if there are 2 adults, 2 children and everyone has refreshments, it can be an expensive night out.

How about a royalty card? This could be along the same lines as some of the coffee outlets. Say on each occasion you purchased popcorn/coke/whatever, you got your card stamped. When the card was full, it entitled you to a free item of a set value.

What kind o card ??

If Her Majesty thinks she can swan in 'and' get cheap popcorn, then in for a royal rude surprise. Royal scroungers will be impaled on the light sabres outside for the entertainment of the regular punters.

Why would it?

They're not running a massive restaurant, so why would they need a massive kitchen? It's similar to the sort of food you get at Bonhoga, with a similar size kitchen and that manages perfectly well to serve a variety of meals at very busy lunchtimes.

:?

Using yours FPC purely as its the easiest, no personal attack meant.

To clarify the point, and as Unlinked seems to have grasped, the venue was advertised as a wedding venue so, how could it adequately provide sit down catering for weddings without a reasonably functioning kitchen to provide a three or four course silver service meal?

The current kitchen is fine for what it is being used for.

We looked at it as a venue for a glitzy do but stepped away as they suggested we used external catering and cooking for what we had in mind, sinilar to a wedding meal.

What kind o card ??

If Her Majesty thinks she can swan in 'and' get cheap popcorn, then in for a royal rude surprise. Royal scroungers will be impaled on the light sabres outside for the entertainment of the regular punters.

Ooops, my bad. Apologies for causing you to spill some of the no doubt finest whisky ... I'm a tad tired after spending the day at Aberdeen Hospital - I meant Loyalty Card!

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: to get some shut eye but debating whether or not to have a tiny brandy as a nightcap - tis all your fault, HairyIan. :wink: