Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Someone told me about a mother who had gone on Mareel's facebook page complaining that she had had drinks and snacks for her bairn taken off her at the door and that it had got loads of comments on the fb page but when I went on to look I didn't see anything, I wondered if the comments had been removed.

I was interested in what people were saying as I have a child with a medical condition which restricts a great number of drinks and sweets she can have and was intending to take in snacks for her as the last time we were at the Garrison she had very little choice. It was the first thing she asked when I spoke about going to see a film at Mareel, could she take in her own snacks? Now I learn that's not allowed but I would hope that for a child with a medical problem there will be some flexibility.

^^

Simple thing to phone the Mareel management and ask rather than waste time debating here

Simple thing to do is hide the snacks / drinks about the child before the airport style body scanners are installed :wink:

Looks like their marketing people need a kick where it hurts.

just do what everyone else does, have your jacket pockets full. Water in you handbag etc etc then take it all oot when the lights go down.

Sad to hear if they are editing their negitive comments out, (i do hope your wrong) if they spent time sorting the problems rather than hiding them that might encourage people to return. I'm sure if they took my coments out then i would put the next lot on the shetland press where they cant delete them! Can you edit out twitter? They have an account on there too.

We are still in the 'honeymoon season' so it will be some time untill everyone has been to something. If people see it as more hassel than its worth then folk will just stop going.

As with moaning about a gig/show. When people buy a ticket its a contract between you and the seller. It is up the the seller to provide a reasonable experence for that money, so if anything is not the way you would expect it then you are quite rightly allowed to moan all you want about it, in any way you want. Thats what we had two wars to have - free speach.

There are plenty of posts on Mareel's Facebook page complaining about the bar queues. There's some moaning about £1 per item for the cloakroom - I see nothing wrong with paying a £1 per item for the cloakroom. As for taking in your own food - I've yet to come across a cinema that encourages it, most don't.

As with moaning about a gig/show. When people buy a ticket its a contract between you and the seller. It is up the the seller to provide a reasonable experence for that money, so if anything is not the way you would expect it then you are quite rightly allowed to moan all you want about it, in any way you want.

If you buy the cinema ticket, and you get to watch the film in comfort, contract fulfilled. If you then choose to bring in your own edibles, contract breached, by you.

If you then choose to purchase anything, your choice. If you choose to join a lengthy queue for the bar, again, your choice, none have a direct link to the original contract of purchasing a ticket to watch a film in safety and comfort.

Now, you should be able to complain if you want, here though, a waste of time, go through the channels advertised on the web site or ask to see the manager.

A conspiracy?

As with moaning about a gig/show. When people buy a ticket its a contract between you and the seller. It is up the the seller to provide a reasonable experence for that money, so if anything is not the way you would expect it then you are quite rightly allowed to moan all you want about it, in any way you want.

If you buy the cinema ticket, and you get to watch the film in comfort, contract fulfilled. If you then choose to bring in your own edibles, contract breached, by you.

If you then choose to purchase anything, your choice. If you choose to join a lengthy queue for the bar, again, your choice, none have a direct link to the original contract of purchasing a ticket to watch a film in safety and comfort.

Now, you should be able to complain if you want, here though, a waste of time, go through the channels advertised on the web site or ask to see the manager.

A conspiracy?

Only if it says on the ticket not to not take food in, i think they can stop you within reason for the cinema ie chips or takaways will stink the place out. Where having a bag of you own sweets in your pocket/bag isnt braking the bank. I beleive that people would just do without rather than actualy going to the mareel shop from spite if nothing else. so all it does is 'p' folk off and they would just waite untill the films come out on dvd - or get it on pirate! which helps no-one.

Where it is very resonable to not take food or alcohal into a cafe/bar. Well you would'nt take a chipshop tea into the chinese to use their tables and chairs.

I had a great night - the auditorium really is first class and, while the queue for the bar was insanely long, it was still a good craic and the bar staff where friendly and patient. My only gripe was with one of the security folks who was a bit over zealous to put it mildly.

I was half way into the queue when me and a mate of mine decided to duck out for a fag, leaving our non-smoker partners to keep our place... not very gentlemanly of us now I think about it ;-)

Anyway, the girl on the door of the smoking area was smiley and pleasant enough, but when we returned to our place in the queue the security guy made a bit of a scene claiming we were queue jumping.

I was pretty sure he'd seen us leave the queue for our smoke and the guy behind me verified that I'd been there before... alas, jobsworth was having none of it. In the end we had to go and wait at the end of the bar while our girlfriends had to queue for a further 20 mins.

I guess you could argue (as no doubt some will) that we were in the wrong, but the guy's whole demenour was totally unecessary. It's a cliche, but give a certain kind of person a uniform and they turn into real... well, you get the picture.

Mix this guy's attitude with a boozey environment you can see how trouble can easily start and things can get out of hand. I saw a few people getting kicked out by the same guy later on that didn't seem drunk at all. I know it's a tough job sometimes, but come on. :roll:

I had a great night - the auditorium really is first class and, while the queue for the bar was insanely long, it was still a good craic and the bar staff where friendly and patient. My only gripe was with one of the security folks who was a bit over zealous to put it mildly.

I was half way into the queue when me and a mate of mine decided to duck out for a fag, leaving our non-smoker partners to keep our place... not very gentlemanly of us now I think about it ;-)

Anyway, the girl on the door of the smoking area was smiley and pleasant enough, but when we returned to our place in the queue the security guy made a bit of a scene claiming we were queue jumping.

I was pretty sure he'd seen us leave the queue for our smoke and the guy behind me verified that I'd been there before... alas, jobsworth was having none of it. In the end we had to go and wait at the end of the bar while our girlfriends had to queue for a further 20 mins.

I guess you could argue (as no doubt some will) that we were in the wrong, but the guy's whole demenour was totally unecessary. It's a cliche, but give a certain kind of person a uniform and they turn into real... well, you get the picture.

Mix this guy's attitude with a boozey environment you can see how trouble can easily start and things can get out of hand. I saw a few people getting kicked out by the same guy later on that didn't seem drunk at all. I know it's a tough job sometimes, but come on. :roll:

Sound amazing compaired to posers lol

"Anyway, the girl on the door of the smoking area was smiley and pleasant enough, but when we returned to our place in the queue the security guy made a bit of a scene claiming we were queue jumping.

I was pretty sure he'd seen us leave the queue for our smoke and the guy behind me verified that I'd been there before... alas, jobsworth was having none of it. In the end we had to go and wait at the end of the bar while our girlfriends had to queue for a further 20 mins"

Don't blame the guys on the door if you decided to do something like this. They've got the whole base of punters to watch - not offer so sort of personal place-watching scheme for individuals.

We are going to see Skyfall next week, Canna wait!

Does anyone have anything positive to say about their mareel cinema experience apart from moaning?

For my money, it's better than any cinema I've been to elsewhere. The picture and sound are superb, the seating rake avoids having any heads in the way and the seats are comfortable. The ticket price is lower than at many cinemas south (half the price of some London cinemas) and popcorn and ice cream aren't sold at rip-off prices.

It's pretty much a perfect package and I think the audience response rather proves the point.