Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

By far the biggest problem faced by Mareel is it's own customers.

There are far too many people going to the cinema that simply have no consideration for others - making noise, kicking chair backs and generally interupting the film. There are a few things that Mareel could do to minimise the impact these people have on others though:

- Crinkly paper bags for popcorn replaced with little cardboard buckets.

- No beer in the cinema - there's a hell of a stink from it and surely shetland's alcoholics can go two hours without getting their fix.

- Reinforce the seat mounts. Everytime someone shifts in their seat, everyone else in that row gets a shake.

- Have adult only screenings - there was a family there last night with very small childern for a film that was only starting at nearly 10pm and finish at midnight.

It'd be nice to think that people could be trusted to think about others and not be disruptive but we all know that can be done. So, that leaves Mareel the choice to either let people do their own thing and accept they will lose customers permanently or try their best to promote cinema going etiquette and hope it catches on.

I accept that watching a film with the public sitting all around you will add various 'cinema experiences' but the current experience will stop me returning. It's strange that there is so much difference compared to mainland cinemas where I've only rarely had any problems - I guess it's a cultural thing where Shetlanders are used to the etiquette.

There are far too many people going to the cinema that simply have no consideration for others - making noise, kicking chair backs and generally interupting the film. There are a few things that Mareel could do to minimise the impact these people have on others though:

- No beer in the cinema - there's a hell of a stink from it and surely shetland's alcoholics can go two hours without getting their fix.

- Reinforce the seat mounts. Everytime someone shifts in their seat, everyone else in that row gets a shake.

- Have adult only screenings - there was a family there last night with very small childern for a film that was only starting at nearly 10pm and finish at midnight.

It'd be nice to think that people could be trusted to think about others and not be disruptive but we all know that can be done. So, that leaves Mareel the choice to either let people do their own thing and accept they will lose customers permanently or try their best to promote cinema going etiquette and hope it catches on.

I accept that watching a film with the public sitting all around you will add various 'cinema experiences' but the current experience will stop me returning. It's strange that there is so much difference compared to mainland cinemas where I've only rarely had any problems - I guess it's a cultural thing where Shetlanders are used to the etiquette.

I took my kids to see Brave and half the audience was under 10 at a guess. None of the above mentioned was a problem so I suppose either I'm lucky or you arent.

I agree on some of those points, I saw Skyfall and had to put up with people putting their feet on the back of my seat, people making a terrible noise eating things and rustling and children that looked about 5 babbling through the film. Annoying when you are trying to enjoy a film.

I have yet to step inside Mareel but just out of interest do they have an attendant with a powerful torch seated in the cinemas during the films to ensure that proper behaviour is maintained. These attendants certainly made a difference in the North Star many moons ago?

Like Ironwithin, I too saw Skyfall (which was pretty good.. maybe a tad over-rated, but I digress...), where I had the misfortune to get stuck behind a hyperactive kid, whom by the end of the film I could have cheerfully strangled.

His mum seemed oblivious throughout the entire film as he prattled loudly to himself "IS THAT JAMES BOND?! IS HE THE BADDIE? IS IT NEARLY FINISHED YET?!"...

Pretty annoying, but what can you do? Nobody wants to be the "get off my lawn!" guy when kids are involved, and it's hardly the fault of the folks at Mareel.

Like doon sooth, some people either don't know or don't care about cinema etiquette. I myself am perhaps overly paranoid about making too much noise to the point where I don't want to rustle my popcorn during a particularly quiet scene.

Maybe I'm being too self conscious , but some punters just don't seem to consider other people whatsoever.

Having said that, I think being allowed to bring beer in is a welcome change to the kill-joy, "thou shalt not" culture that has permeated throughout the whole country over the last few decades.

Shame you can't smoke inside - It would totally add to the Film Noir ambience! ;-)

....I myself am perhaps overly paranoid about making too much noise to the point where I don't want to rustle my popcorn during a particularly quiet scene.

Maybe I'm being too self conscious , but some punters just don't seem to consider other people whatsoever....

:)

No, that's not paranoid nor are you too self conscious - that's just being a decent human being and having some consideration for others.

It's this built in 'code of conduct' that is unfortunately missing from quite a lot of people using Mareel.

....I myself am perhaps overly paranoid about making too much noise to the point where I don't want to rustle my popcorn during a particularly quiet scene.

Maybe I'm being too self conscious , but some punters just don't seem to consider other people whatsoever....

:)

No, that's not paranoid nor are you too self conscious - that's just being a decent human being and having some consideration for others.

It's this built in 'code of conduct' that is unfortunately missing from quite a lot of people using Mareel.

Totally agree SS!!! Horns, I'm exactly the same as you, self conscious of ruining someone else's experience, completely different to paranoia :wink:

I have yet to step inside Mareel but just out of interest do they have an attendant with a powerful torch seated in the cinemas during the films to ensure that proper behaviour is maintained. These attendants certainly made a difference in the North Star many moons ago?

No, there is no-one in with the crowd in Mareel, they just pop in and out every half hour or so, quick look then out again. They are at the Garrison when they were/are films/shows are on. They sit up the back.

No, there is no-one in with the crowd in Mareel, they just pop in and out every half hour or so, quick look then out again. They are at the Garrison when they were/are films/shows are on. They sit up the back.

Maybe they should hire Arctic Security? :lol:

Who is it they have for their music gigs? Not very good stories going about them, who ever it is. I for one will not be attending anything with what i have heard so far. Hopefully it will improve with experence, untill then im staying clear on the music nights.

just the normal staff would do for the cinema, they were fine enough in the Garrison

Yeah, there was a few posts by different folk after last friday's gig. All gone by the looks of things.

It's going to take a really good gig to get me back in the door whilst Arctic Security are in operation/operating the same manner. I'm more confident the bar situation will improve with more staff on duty and more experience etc.

Hopin tae try a film for da 1st time next week though.