Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

I understand that Mareel are stuck with an agreement with their distributors that they must show films a certain number of times.

Note that this is normal for all cinemas, not just Mareel. It's always a trade off between how early you get the latest films, and flexibility with how and when they are shown.

Compared to similar cinema's south, the variety avaliable here is excellent.

So it seems, they would be better getting all films 1 week late than being landed with a film for 2 weeks, blocking the main screen. As long as they are up front with the policy and tell folk, we would be ok with that. That would give them more choice, and a better service to us. Then a gold/silver card might be worth getting.

I understand that Mareel are stuck with an agreement with their distributors that they must show films a certain number of times.

Note that this is normal for all cinemas, not just Mareel. It's always a trade off between how early you get the latest films, and flexibility with how and when they are shown.

Compared to similar cinema's south, the variety avaliable here is excellent.

So it seems, they would be better getting all films 1 week late than being landed with a film for 2 weeks, blocking the main screen. As long as they are up front with the policy and tell folk, we would be ok with that. That would give them more choice, and a better service to us. Then a gold/silver card might be worth getting.

Taken from their website - http://www.mareel.org/watch/cinema-information/other-questions/

Why do you only show some films on their UK release date but not others?

At Mareel, we aim to offer a variety of films for all tastes. Most of the time we will show films a few weeks after their official UK release dates because this is when distributors are willing to be flexible about how many times a film shows each day. This allows us to put on five or six films a week. With big blockbusters the distributors insist that we show the films virtually exclusively on Screen 1 for one, and sometimes two, full weeks in order to get them on the release date, as is the case with all the other cinemas in the UK. Sometimes we will do this, and sometimes we won't, depending on audience demand. The programming process is a collaboration between ourselves and City Screen, owners of the Picturehouse chain of cinemas, who do their very best to get us what we ask for, but ultimately, if we want a film on its release date, we have to accept the terms set by the distribution companies.

The info is freely available. It's on the website, they regularly answer questions about it on Facebook and I've heard the staff explaining it to customers. I can't see hoe they could make it more freely available! Can't please all the people all of the time etc

Laid up recently and trying to amuse myself by exploring around the internet and came upon Court of Session case lists. Ok, it was also a rainy night!

Noticed the listing below. Don't remember seeing anything in the paper about it. Still sadly seems to be problems. It would be good if they could all get together and sort it out.

LORD WOOLMAN - N Marchant, Clerk

Wednesday 1st May

CA45/13 DITT Construction Ltd v Shetland Arts Development &c

Macroberts LLP Tods Murray LLP

This is part of an ongoing series of court cases. This story appeared in December last year.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/6090-ditt-wins-%C2%A3175000-over-mareel-contract

SHETLAND construction firm DITT has won a further substantial payment for the contract to build the Lerwick cinema and music venue Mareel following a hearing in the Court of Session on Wednesday.

A payment of more than £175,000 plus interest and legal costs will have to be handed over by Shetland Arts for four months work they claimed they were still owed.

DITT say they are taking further action to claim yet more money, while Shetland Arts are preparing a counterclaim after the building went overbudget by £1.5 million.

Guest tiodylb17

Ive still no been yet , there has'nt been anything appealing enough to go to music wise for me and i am content to watch older films on Sky but i would like to see World War Z so might go for that one.

Well! Well! Surprise! Surprise! The council has decided (behind closed doors) to give mareel £1.1 million to clear their feet, while they close schools, cut staff in care homes for the elderly, take away our skips, close our public toilets etc etc. Just like Nero they will fiddle while Rome burns. I never thought I would say this, but I give up, it's time to get out. Born and bred here and lived here all my life, but with all this stress it is time to go.

I think Shetland Arts Trust needs to be congratulated, not only have they been bailed oot, renting their building oot and geting it back to carry on as they are, without any of the trustees or top managment lossing their jobs for their what could be deamed miss-managment, which got them into the compleat mess they are in.

I'd think in the private sector they would have there backside kicked oot the door for misconduct anywhere else. We have heard what the council have plotted what to do from now, but will we hear what mess they were in to need this to happen? I think this should be made public on how bad it has been before they get more public money.

Perhaps if the trustees had to cough up some personall money for their mistakes I'd feel a bit better, its their dream, they maybe should pay something towards it??

Personaly i think they should have sold the building for £1 then rented it back from the council. Then it would always be safe whoever runs it.

Wonder what the new monthly rent to the council is? bet its less than the rent for a council hoose. They would have been beter borrowing 2million from the council and payed it back in time.

But well done to them they have goten their cake and eating it, and got extra, all ,from us the taxpayer. Till the next time??

With original costs of 13,500,000 + 600,000 + 1,100,000, making £15.1million

If this was shared out equally amongst every one of the 9,928 households in Shetland, there would be over £1,500 each, which could buy every house in Shetland a 70 inch flatscreen cinema TV