Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

[As to transport I'm not entirely sure what you mean about the geography, taking into account the improved transport links that now exist to at least some of the northern isles and other rural areas introduced since then. All I'm saying here I suppose is that from what I can see things have only improved somewhat in that respect. Then of course there is the "if you can't come to us" element of the plan in terms of rural and outreach provision.

In terms of transport Davey, things haven't improved that much. Skipping down to the toon and back for a night's diversions is still pretty much impossible without arranging late ferries etc.

Did you highlight these concerns to Ron at that time?

I did. All I got was a blank look followed by a load of waffle.

I'm glad you're with me on the feasibility front. I'm not happy that anyone has established whether there's a realistic market and I'd love to see some credible research done on that.

I have to disagree here as I, and many others, believe this is exactly what has been done, as far as is possible anyway with a completely new venture and approach. The market in Shetland was also seen as being potentially more vibrant from both a musical and audience related perspective than many other similar areas throughout Scotland.

If that's your belief, good on you. I'd prefer something in the way of hard facts, but then, I'm just a bluff old empiricist. No room for that sort of thinking in determining public expenditure these days, it appears.

As far as desirable goes - its very simple. If the majority of the population don't want to see money spent on this then there opinion has to be taken heed of. It's not simply a case of naysaying, there seems to be a body of opinion that many of the vaunted positive outcomes of this project could be more realistically achieved through expenditure on rather more prosaic projects.

I'm sure this also could also be the case for any number of projects - capital or otherwise.

Yeah, you've said that before too. Personally I think it's an utterly meaningless statement designed to evade the issue.

Still, I've had it with this debate. The logic still appears to be 'build it and they will come'. Blind faith and conjecture at the end of the day and I can't rationalise it. I'm absolutely certain someone argued as hard as you for the bowls hall at clickhimin way back.

Best of luck to you - my current plans to depart to the antipodes sharpish make it unlikely that I'll ever set foot within the thing but I hope you all have a whale of a time.

Personally, I can't wait to see hundreds of peerie bairns at the touring Balamory musical - it would pack the place for days.

Jo. Please explain to me why a show such as Balamory has to wait for a new venue. Are you seriously saying Shetland currently has nothing suitable?

Still, I've had it with this debate. The logic still appears to be 'build it and they will come'. Blind faith and conjecture at the end of the day and I can't rationalise it. I'm absolutely certain someone argued as hard as you for the bowls hall at clickhimin way back.

Best of luck to you - my current plans to depart to the antipodes sharpish make it unlikely that I'll ever set foot within the thing but I hope you all have a whale of a time.

Well said again NewMagnie. I too have just about had it with this debate. I'm fed up being misquoted on some points and ignored on others. To blind faith and conjecture I would add total and utter fantasy as regards some of the business plan figures.

Good luck on your travels and keep in touch via Shetlink - you come across as a voice of reason.

Interesting article in The Shetland Times today.

http://www.shetlandtoday.co.uk/Shetlandtimes/content_details.asp?ContentID=18877

Good to see Davie G isn't letting this sort of sinister, stupid nonsense get to him.

And whatever opinion you hold on this whole debate it casts the 'anti-brigade' as the bad guys. One bad apple and all that. Whoever was making these phonecalls really is a complete idiot who has shot themselves in the foot. Reading between the lines - rightly or wrongly - the finger is pointed in the direction of the pub lobby. Any credibility they had has taken a big blow.

Cynics might say Davie G is using the media astutely. Of course he is! But there's nothing wrong with that. The bottom line is that some people have decided to use bullying tactics to try and knobble him. That was never going to work.

Good publicity for this site as well!

I couldn't agree more Jonners. The 'anti' campaign so far seems to have been dominated by scare tactics, lies and now personal threats. If they did have any credible points to make they have been lost among all this.

As far as I am concerned, all the 'anti' campaign has done to change my opinion so far is make me more and more pro venue.

If they cant put an intelligent case forward, they'd be wise to stay silent.

I couldn't agree more Jonners. The 'anti' campaign so far seems to have been dominated by scare tactics, lies and now personal threats. If they did have any credible points to make they have been lost among all this.

As far as I am concerned, all the 'anti' campaign has done to change my opinion so far is make me more and more pro venue.

If they cant put an intelligent case forward, they'd be wise to stay silent.

Talking about lies, I take it you haven't read the business plan then?

For me the thought of £80,000 for the full range of development related activities and the potential / addtional musical, cultural, economic and social benefits are not too bad, but there you go that's only my opinion and thankfully a lot more people besides whatever others would have us believe.

It could be argued (as Jo did yesterday) that its only the (initially) non-commercial add on's such as training and education related programmes, outreach activity etc that have made the thing 'unviable' in purely commercial terms in the first instance, but form me personally they are the most important element. We hope of course that some of this 'investment' will provide wider returns to the community in the future, including a still higher profile for the islands in the international marketplace.

And as I have said some of this initial 'cost' to the community (whichever purse it really comes out of) could very well be further eroded by internal savings (such as my job and budget) and outside investments in a wide ranging programme anyway. And remember as of last Saturday the Garrison came under the control of the new Arts agency and so there will not be any risk of conflit there.

Sorry tae hear in da paper of any personal hassle you are gettin ower dis Davy, it's hard tae see how onybody could be taking the CMV proposal that seriously, i mean, dis is no London, and dere's no gangsters here. Do's just doing dee job, and I doot the vast majority of the opposition ken dat.

There are twatree things that strike me in your recent post Davy. These outreach activities that are adding "initially" to the cost of running the venue- If dey are outreach programs, why are dey dependant on the venue? And if not, why attribute the cost of them to the venue, and are these the things that will tap intae education budgets eventually?

Increasing Shetlands international profile, as you also say, wid still require lower travel fares to the island to return any benefit by encouraging folk to come here, with the exception of Orkney of course.

But a thing that you highlight clearly and declare no conflict with is the Islesburgh/Garrison venues and their net costs to run. Surely they are going to maintain the same total costs but provide lower returns if the CMV does all it proposes to do, hence giving a higher net cost? Or they going to diversify also to retain their current income?

Maybe as weel as the business plan for da CMV there should be an impact survey into the current venues. Just a thought. I'm no against the venue as such, it just seems lik 'buyin a new car and still running da old wan' if you see what i mean.

Talking about lies, I take it you haven't read the business plan then?

The business plan may well be up for debate, but it's just not in the same league as statements like 'Lerwick Boating Club will close when the new venue opens'.

When did I say that? :?:

Seriously, who said that? :?:

Those prank callers.....if indeed it is a prank and not something more sinister are calling on the wrong guy. The council made the decision to proceed with the new venue and if anyone does not like their decision the find out which ones voted for the venue and threaten them. Send the best threat of them. A campaign in favour of other candidates at the next SIC election. Power to the people!!!