Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Davie has been away and since he has been back he has been organising the Culture Clash gigs at the sound hall. Davie is one of the busiest guys on the planet so you can't expect him to continually check shetlink for posts.

If you read back through the thread, Davie has continually stated that he he is no expert on the cinema side of the proposals.

And anyway.....I think the points you raise have been covered many times already. I'm not sure that anything Davie could say hasn't already been said.

Davie has been away and since he has been back he has been organising the Culture Clash gigs at the sound hall. Davie is one of the busiest guys on the planet so you can't expect him to continually check shetlink for posts.

i wasnet wanting to start a debate i just wondered in revious posts what the uptake of this month fims were.

I am against the building of this proposed venue.

I do not really have the energy to justify my opinion, particularly because i know that 10 years down the line, I won't have to.

I appreciate that its aim is to move forward positively with the music industry in Shetland, but personally I believe demand drives supply and this is really an attempt to create demand by increasing supply. This does not create sustainable industry.

The people driving this venture will not be treated kindly by history, that much can be said. All I see is disaster on the horizon.

If you read back through the thread, Davie has continually stated that he he is no expert on the cinema side of the proposals.

And anyway.....I think the points you raise have been covered many times already. I'm not sure that anything Davie could say hasn't already been said.

Davy used the April attendance figures to promote the new cinema.

Sam is asking for the May figures. As far as I can see this very reasonable question from Sam hasn't been answered yet.

Sam is asking for the May figures. As far as I can see this very reasonable question from Sam hasn't been answered yet.

thanks - db thats my point you dont spend ages in here one month promoting the need just because its a good month

Hello dB

I didn't imply that it wasn't. If it reads like that then I apologise. I was giving an explanation of the probable reasons for there not being a respose from Davie. Davie hasn't posted on Shetlink since this thread fizzled out. I doubt he is even checking it. I can e-mail him and tell him if you so wish.....

I do think that Sam's second post was less than constructive.

do you think the lack of reply meens i was correct and the films at this last weekend was that poor that the shetland arts trust dont want anyone to know?

or

davie is off on a esencil trip away suporting and promoting shetland - or what other people call a jont

or

have they given up on this forum?

i may be wrong though

To imply that the reason why there is no response is because either:-

a. The Arts Trust want to hide the information

b. Davie's on a jaunt

c. They don't want to discuss it anymore

is a tad unfair considering how much time Davie spent on putting his case and giving information earlier in this thread.

Each to his own though - that's the purpose of debate and this website I suppose. :wink:

Cheers

Marvin

To be fair Sam, I think it's easy to see why Marvin assumed you were questioning Davie's dedication to the job.

The points in that post do read like implications to that effect.

if that is so then im sorry. i didnt mean to question davie on his job.

what would change my mind is if they had concerts on everyweek in shetland run by shetland arts then if they paid and got the numbers in the venues we have then possibly i would think again. im sure the ta would be a good venue as well as other venues in shetland for now.

this would meen that shetland arts would have to 'run' the show here.

any posts i do that question people is not an attack at them personaly but question what they do at there work, not the person behind that.

so sorry anyone that may think that. but people do have questions, and people in the know have desided to ignore some questions and rattle on about the things they want to put across.

if that is so then im sorry. he can think what he wants about the new venue as well as i can do the same. i think he is well wrong about the new venue i truly think i will be a dead loss as they cant get the numbers for the cinema and i dont think there is enough interested to use a music venue everynight of the week,

Hello Sam,

If you look back through the posts you will see that I am not 'for' the venue.

{wincing at opening the old wound again :wink: but..}

My standpoint from the start is that there is not enough of a case been made for the venue. I still think there should be some investigations in to the cost of redeveloping old buildings. I think even for the credability of the 'pro' venue people the research should be done.

I have also said on a number of occasions that the private sector/public sector conflict regarding the investment does not sit well with me.

what would change my mind is if they had concerts on everyweek in shetland run by shetland arts then if they paid and got the numbers in the venues we have then possibly i would think again.

Totally agree with you Sam.

I have said before that if the venue stands any chance of delivering then the project manager should be appointed now (remember that the Council has already agreed to proceed with building a venue).

im sure the ta would be a good venue as well as other venues in shetland for now.

The TA was one of the original venues considered but there were too many restrictions on use.

this would meen that shetland arts would have to 'run' the show here and not consertrate on taking shetland around the world but take the world to shetland. As with council spending people do grudge people getting free trips all over the place other ways known as a jont, regardles of the well atentions of the person or reason for that trip.

I hear what your saying Sam about the trips.

It would be nice if the world came to Shetland to see our music but in reality the people need to know about it first. Plenty of people do come to Shetland to hear the music but it takes many years of difficult marketing to acheive that.

In the last few years there has been a big change in the perception of music in Shetland. People like Aly Bain and Peerie Willie etc put Shetland on the music map but credit where credit is due, Davie's work has done a great deal to get Shetland music known internationally as well as to provide the music when people visit.

i cant help, as do lots of others, the former atrs trust are into get a venue to run for themselfs. and they will be a lot of jobs for the boys. sorry if thats bad of me to think it, but i cant help to wonder.

I think Davie covered that but I can't remember what he said (and I'm not going to read back through his rather long posts - Davie could perhaps provide us with an executive summary :lol: )

any posts i do that question people is not an attack at them personaly but question what they do at there work, not the person behind that.

Fair enough Sam.

so sorry anyone that may think that. but people do have questions, and people in the know have desided to ignore some questions and rattle on about the things they want to put across.

And you have every right to ask the questions sam, I never intended my retort to you to be anything other than in the spirit of open debate I was just giving a few reasons why Davie probably didn't reply.

Cheers

MArvin