Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

^ It will be pointed out that a place being open does not mean it is making a profit. A cafe-bar requires staff, energy costs, etc. It could be that these hours make a loss instead.

How do similar establishments fare during these hours?

^ It will be pointed out that a place being open does not mean it is making a profit. A cafe-bar requires staff, energy costs, etc. It could be that these hours make a loss instead.

If you are quiet you might have only one member of staff on duty at the national minimum (£5.52 per hour). If the place has been busy at lunch time the heating will have been on any so it will only be ticking over. 50% mark up on your sales and it doesn't take long to turn a modest profit.

Guest Pronto

I've worked in cafes before. There is no way you can run without at least 2 or 3 working, over lunch you will need 5 or 6.

Unless priced to meet pubs, mareels bar WILL FAIL.

How many people do you see in for an evening drink at the museum, surely one of the nicest places to sit in lerwick???

I would go to Mareel, if i could get past the barrage of stewards.

How many people do you see in for an evening drink at the museum, surely one of the nicest places to sit in lerwick???

Beautiful surroundings just a pity about the staffing. It's not very welcoming either.

I still swear by the dundee contempory arts centre, used to go for a drink there the whole time, it was rarely empty. Used to go to the lemon tree for a drink too, before it went up it's own ass.

It was nice to go somewhere where all ages could mix easily, if you've got a group aged 14-25 it can be a nightmare trying to find somewhere relaxed to meet.

I still swear by the dundee contempory arts centre, used to go for a drink there the whole time, it was rarely empty.

When I've been it's been very busy and buzzy and we were lucky to get seats. Unfortunately it was only built after I left Dundee so didn't get the benefit of it properly. >

Couldn't the Mareel be built as part (Annexed) of the AHS ?

By doing this the costs could be cut both for the Mareel and fot the new AHS, When not in use by the general public the Mareel could be used by the school kids for music,film & Media studies plus the main auditoriuml could double up as the School assembly hall and still be used for cinema/ music events etc. There would be no need for two pieces of ground (Cost saving), there would also be no need for two car parks (AHS car park could be used for School and Mareel( Cost saving))

Profits/Loss could be shared which could mean some much needed income going into the schools coffers and no need for two separate building sites thus freeing up the present Mareel site for another project.

Just my twopennorth :D

Couldn't the Mareel be built as part (Annexed) of the AHS ?

Tsk tsk, Malcolm. You didn't read the Mareel brochure ;)

This was explained in there. Amongst other reasons, there are problems with granting the public access to school premises and the selling of alcohol. Etc.

Incidentally, my search for this brochure for you has turned up this: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Mareel

:lol:

Funny find Fjool...

"Mareel continued to plan her escape with Dax, but when Verad changed their plans and told her that she should wait for him at a designated rendezvous point instead of him waiting for her, she realized that he had, in fact, changed despite his assurances. " http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Mareel

Oh poor Mareel - others changing thier plans....let down at the last minute....