Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

Heres a price check for you, pretty useless i know but interesting all the same i think.

Cadburys drinking chocolate sachets

Tesco £0.39

Coop. £0.49

Sound service station £0.79!!!

Probably get free lubricant at Sound Services though so that the prices hurt less!

I have been experimenting with shopping at my local shop for a while. Nice people serve me and they have a good range of stuff, but after a couple of months you soon see how restricted the range is due to their lack of space compared to the beast that is Tesco.

Tonight I went to Tesco to buy a few bits to supplement my diet. It's not that I am getting scurvy, but my diet seems to have degenerated to jaffa cakes, and egg and bacon. I fancied black pudding - none, a decent salami - none and a tin of breakfast (I know how to live) - none. They had some interesting big soups, the best garibaldi biscuits money can buy and satisfied all of my other food needs. Perhaps I should have got there earlier and tried the deli, but I was doing other things.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a checkout operator hold up a bottle to the supervisor and cock a head in my direction. The supervisor walked around to the till and with a scowl gave me the once over before nodding and walking off. Now I was flattered to start with being on the wrong side of 40 and having a beard you could hide a pizza in, but then I thought WTF? I clearly do not look under 25 - Malachy looks closer to that than I do ;-) - what exactly is their policy?

Becoming less of a fan as days go by . . .

Tescos has an under 25 policy (ie anyone who looks under 25 will be asked for proof of age) as does the rest of the responsible alcohol sellers.

Under the new legislation the penalties are much greater for the sale of alcohol to minors and it's not worth " taking the risk"

If the Tescos checkout operator is under 18 they MUST double check with another member of staff, no matter how old the purchaser is .

Tescos has an under 25 policy (ie anyone who looks under 25 will be asked for proof of age) as does the rest of the responsible alcohol sellers.

Under the new legislation the penalties are much greater for the sale of alcohol to minors and it's not worth " taking the risk"

If the Tescos checkout operator is under 18 they MUST double check with another member of staff, no matter how old the purchaser is .

A sensible approach all the stranger because the operator wasn't under 18 and the supervisor paid no attention to the bottle. It was just plain odd.

• 1 month later...
Guest don't know
i did not think an under 18 can sell booze/cigs.

As far as i understand an under 18 can sell cigarettes.

Only over 18's can sell alcohol, although and they must first have completed training and have a personal licence.

Anyway changing the subject, can anyone tell me which days Tesco are open 24hrs?