Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

Must be a fine day for Tesco when all folk can complain about is the fact they've put in a huge skylight :roll:

Was in today and hooray for Tesco, what Lerwick had been needing for ages. A lovely bright environment to shop in. The windows at the back of the new checkout area is a breath of fresh air. ten out of ten from me, and well done for getting it done in such a short time :P

looks good to me. the clothing section looks like it could be useful for the kids. and cheap books to. yup we now have a good small town tesco. felt sorry for the guy running the self service tills. they were all playing up. pity they have not expanded the food section.

pity they have not expanded the food section.

Was that not what they were telling their customers and the SIC when they were looking for planning permission? :roll:

I went in for a look yesterday, most of the rows were closed off but it seemed quite bright and airy, bloody massive as well.

Cheers

I also went into Tescos yesterday and can't wait for it to be completed.

Down south, shoppers have a choice of large supermarkets to go to and other traders survive if they make the effort. In this case, there is only the one big supermarket so the other traders will similarly have to compete. Why should we be denied the opportunity to choose where to shop?

If Tescos weren'r selling some of the other goods, then the local traders would be fairly foolish if they thought that the potential buyers wouldn't continue to shop online having been denied the right of choice.

it is my understanding that the ranges of food, veg & fruit are all going to be expanded, but i guess they will have to things gradually so as not to effect the operation of the store, perhaps doing it on the nightshift.

so all i can say is watch this space.

more choice can only be a good thing,even better if it saves you a pound or two in to the bargain

who mentioned cheese?????

but i would reckon there is already 50 types on sale!!

i regularly visit the danestone tesco in aberdeen, and always see things on sale that are not available here, more than likely due to the lack of space which is of course being rectified.

hopefully this will mean tesco take up new products and varieties of goods etc to entice our taste buds.

perhaps tesco could also give the staff in the co-op in lerwick a lesson in how to use facial muscles to smile occaisonally as they must be the most miserable lot i have ever seen and as the saying goes a little courtesy costs nothing

Cheese was just an example.

Next thing will be Strawberries & Cream, when there is 3feet of snow outside.

Tesco is a past-master of selling the public things that you don't really need - or even WANTED when you first stepped through their hallowed doors.

Beware items on shelves 5ft high - that's usually their biggest mark-up lines.

Their Logo is: "We save you money" right :wink:

who mentioned cheese?????

but i would reckon there is already 50 types on sale!!

i regularly visit the danestone tesco in aberdeen, and always see things on sale that are not available here, more than likely due to the lack of space which is of course being rectified.

hopefully this will mean tesco take up new products and varieties of goods etc to entice our taste buds.

perhaps tesco could also give the staff in the co-op in lerwick a lesson in how to use facial muscles to smile occaisonally as they must be the most miserable lot i have ever seen and as the saying goes a little courtesy costs nothing

The second time I visited Lerwick Tesco's was with my step-son, straight off the boat. As we entered Tesco, it was 7.55am. One of the doors was open so we went in. Within a couple of minutes, a woman with a radio mike/telephone headset approached, wagged her fingers at us, demanding to know how we got in. "Err, through the door". She said something along the lines of "THAT is the fire exit door, we don't open until 8.00am. YOU'RE not allowed in!" Such a lovely welcome! I asked her what the time was now and as it by then 8.01am, we could stay. Now apart from being in headmistress mode, is that any way to greet customers? Was it my fault they had left what appeared to be a double set of glass doors open but was, in fact, their fire escape open?

As for the checkout staff, I have to say that I have always found them very helpful and polite.

it is my understanding that the ranges of food, veg & fruit are all going to be expanded.

more choice can only be a good thing,even better if it saves you a pound or two in to the bargain

What's the point in maybe having 50 different types of cheeses :?:

They're apparently going to have an Asian food section.

Even given my previous comments, I really am a fan of One-Stop Shopping, especially given our Meditteranean climate.

I just think to really enjoy the weekly experience you need a very fat wallet or a very fat Cedit Credit.

This is where it might not be so good for many people, as they contemplate the bills while watching their Tesco TV and eating their Tattie Crisps bought on credit.

The Trolleys can had quite a lot of stuff eh :?: