Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

I just think to really enjoy the weekly experience you need a very fat wallet or a very fat Cedit Credit.

This is where it might not be so good for many people ... The Trolleys can had quite a lot of stuff eh :?:

Not everyone is entirely stupid. What makes you think people are suddenly going to spend more in a week than they previously did just because the shop has more floor space and windows? They might, of course, get more for the same amount of money...

Must be a fine day for Tesco when all folk can complain about is the fact they've put in a huge skylight :roll:

Was in today and hooray for Tesco, what Lerwick had been needing for ages. A lovely bright environment to shop in. The windows at the back of the new checkout area is a breath of fresh air. ten out of ten from me, and well done for getting it done in such a short time :P

I too loved all the light muckleflugga.

But everyone to his own.

went in to tesco today like loads of other folk had, seeing as the car park was rather full, first impestion it look very good. clothing not all on sale yet but a big sign on jeans £6 ,they may not be levis etc. but great for the garden or walking the dogs. i can now see why some of the town shop owners are worried, their gravy train is fast running out of steam. all we need now is nice big B&Q

Guest Raven007

Checked the prices of a wii game today

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Tesco £34.97

Clives £39.99

Bolts Electrical £44.99

Amazon £31.99 Free P&P

Play.com £31.99 Free P&P

E-Bay £30.85 New with Free P&P

So how much does it cost wholesale ???

And how much profit are they making , obviously a huge retailer can get it cheaper if they buy in Bulk i would think but im not sure and then does it cost them more to get it to Shetland ?, but anyway should we really be expected to pay £10 more ! And a £5 difference between the 2 Shetland retailers , whats going on ?

Checked the prices of a wii game today

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Tesco £34.97

Clives £39.99

Bolts Electrical £44.99

Amazon £31.99 Free P&P

Play.com £31.99 Free P&P

E-Bay £30.85 New with Free P&P

So how much does it cost wholesale ???

And how much profit are they making , obviously a huge retailer can get it cheaper if they buy in Bulk i would think but im not sure and then does it cost them more to get it to Shetland ?, but anyway should we really be expected to pay £10 more ! And a £5 difference between the 2 Shetland retailers , whats going on ?

Remember that, as someone pointed out somewhere here, Amazon and Play will be shipping from the Channel Islands, so won't pay any VAT. If my maths is accurate that means that Clive's is actually selling the game for exactly the same price as Amazon, except he has to pay VAT. So it's pretty unfair to suggest he's too expensive just because he has to play by the rules.

Malachy wrote

Remember that, as someone pointed out somewhere here, Amazon and Play will be shipping from the Channel Islands, so won't pay any VAT.
And then Play.Com has this
If your delivery address is outside of Jersey, you may be subject to import duties and taxes, which are levied once a shipment reaches your country. Any such additional charges for customs clearance must be borne by you. You should note that customs policies vary widely from country to country; Play.com advises each customer to contact their local customs office for further information.

^Clive's prices for music are comparable with independent music shops on the mainland I know because I shop in both. I also shop in an independent games shop and they are considerably cheaper than Clive and I refuse to believe the shipping to Shetland would add an £8 margin to the product, Clive is in it to make money which is absolutely fine but if he wants to retain customers he needs to be more realistic on some of his pricing though.

Guest Raven007

if thats the case why doesnt he order his games from play.com or amazon or directly from the channel islands and sell them for 35 pound , is it not because they are bought from wholesale for a lot less and he makes a bit of money on them and so he should because thats how retail works but i still think they could be more competitive , hes a nice guy and runs a good shop so i wouldna like to see him go out of buisness , so where would you buy the game from ? , and whats bolts reason for being a tenner over ?

Malachy wrote
Remember that, as someone pointed out somewhere here, Amazon and Play will be shipping from the Channel Islands, so won't pay any VAT.
And then Play.Com has this
If your delivery address is outside of Jersey, you may be subject to import duties and taxes, which are levied once a shipment reaches your country. Any such additional charges for customs clearance must be borne by you. You should note that customs policies vary widely from country to country; Play.com advises each customer to contact their local customs office for further information.

The "exempt" ceiling for charges in to the UK was approx £36.00 per individual package value a few years back, at a guess its probably around £40.00 now, but it seems to be something of a gray area.

if thats the case why doesnt he order his games from play.com or amazon or directly from the channel islands and sell them for 35 pound , is it not because they are bought from wholesale for a lot less and he makes a bit of money on them and so he should because thats how retail works but i still think they could be more competitive , hes a nice guy and runs a good shop so i wouldna like to see him go out of buisness , so where would you buy the game from ? , and what's bolts reason for being a tenner over ?
Well it could be that as a trader he would have to pay VAT on the price he sold the games at because if he bought from Jersey he would not have a receipt showing what is called "input vat" to balance against his sale. And it might even be illegal to import goods from Jersey to sell in a UK shop unless he imported as a trader having to pay vat and import duty.

if thats the case why doesnt he order his games from play.com or amazon or directly from the channel islands and sell them for 35 pound

If you try ordering about 15-20 items, you'll find out! Customs don't seem to bother with smaller numbers, I guess its just too much paperwork, but buying in bulk from any outside country (same with amazon.com from the US) and you will be far more likely to get a customs bill. It's only happened to me once, but it sure flushes the "I got a bargain" feeling away..