Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

Salmon the CoOp is run for the shareholders, hence the cooperative name. You can join and make savings and receive a dividend. There are many good things about a co-operative...

We also used to fish for our own fresh CHEAP fish, eat rabbits, shellfish and have vegetable plots.

Tescos and the such will turn us into overweight bored profit machines.

Shetlandpeat - you can also get a dividend at the co-op using your clubcard. You get vouchers; just as you do at the co-op.

You say We also used to fish for our own fresh CHEAP fish, eat rabbits, shellfish and have vegetable plots.

Nothing to stop that now despite Tesco being here.

That was a reply to Salmon, not a comparison. Co-Ops are run by the community for the community.

And the rabbit and fishing was a dig at the fact that folk want these things wrapped in plastic and from other shores.

I dont often see folk doing these nowadays.

The tesco club card is still a different thing, co op dividends are about a collective, trying to promote community.

How many Shetland Hotels take Tesco Vouchers?

(I bet the answer may be less than 1)

That was a reply to Salmon, not a comparison. Co-Ops are run by the community for the community.

And the rabbit and fishing was a dig at the fact that folk want these things wrapped in plastic and from other shores.

I dont often see folk doing these nowadays.

The tesco club card is still a different thing, co op dividends are about a collective, trying to promote community.

How many Shetland Hotels take Tesco Vouchers?

(I bet the answer may be less than 1)

not the farming community they are just as tough as the evil tesco. they are a big retailer but funnily enough not so big in the north west of england. peat were do you shop.

As a Tesco employee this may seem biased, but I assure you it is not.

The simple fact is this; if you don't like Tesco, you shouldn't shop there. Co-Op is here too, it's not like you're being forced to shop at one or the other, it's all your own choice. As for the town centre, well it's simply the fact that everything is so overpriced. At Hydro or Bolts, you could get a Samsung 32" TV for say, £500, give or take. At Tesco, £300 (again, give or take). Games in both Clive's and Bolts are still ridiculously overpriced.

I have found 2 year old games in there that still cost £50. Now Tesco might not have the widest range of games, but anything you can find there, you will probably find in Clive's or Bolts for at least £10 more. Headphones, earphones and DVDs suffer from the same thing. Now there are some things that I can't get from Tesco music wise, as they do not stock anything I really enjoy (apart from the Iron Man 2 Soundtrack by AC/DC), so that part of my custom goes to Clive's or Amazon.co.uk.

Guest posiedon
Dcald

The simple fact is this; if you don't like Tesco, you shouldn't shop there. Co-Op is here too, it's not like you're being forced to shop at one or the other, it's all your own choice. As for the town centre, well it's simply the fact that everything is so overpriced. At Hydro or Bolts, you could get a Samsung 32" TV for say, £500, give or take. At Tesco, £300 (again, give or take). Games in both Clive's and Bolts are still ridiculously overpriced.

Can't you apologists for Tesco get it through your thick skulls?

Tesco can only sell cheaper than the high street because they bully (via their buying power) the manufacturers/producers/growers, to accept a minimal profit for their products.

It's not bloody rocket science!

A pox on Tesco :twisted:

Can't you apologists for Tesco get it through your thick skulls?

Tesco can only sell cheaper than the high street because they bully (via their buying power) the manufacturers/producers/growers, to accept a minimal profit for their products.

It's not bloody rocket science!

A pox on Tesco :twisted:

Maybe you are the thick-skulled one here who is seemingly happy to pay over the odds out of loyalty.

The Lerwick loyalty card gave sausage-all away in terms of rewarding loyalty, such as 1p per £1, then was stopped anyway. There was no loyalty to the customer due to lack of competition and, in most instances, online sellers have seriously undercut Lerwick prices anyway without adequate responses before Tesco even arrived in town. There is no real incentive to spend locally as prices are so uncompetitive. As I have suggested already, if Tesco was to close tomorrow, I feel that many of the shoppers would simply revert to the internet rather than go local at substantially increased prices. Buyers will not be bullied as to where to shop.

Whingeing local traders will not be enough to turn the tide of progress. With the genie out of the bottle, it is time that they reacted by being competitive. If not, then so be it.

Dave, you keep banging on about how uncompetitive local retailers here are, I and several other people have given examples of how that is NOT the case. Seems to me Poseidon may not be the only thick skulled one here!

Cheers

ps You've still not explained the Hodge saga yet! :wink:

pps The Tesco employee metioned above about the Samsung TV for £300, it was actually £379, same price as one in the Hydro and £30 dearer than George Robertsons!! :shock: Bargain. :D

Cheers

The simple fact is this; if you don't like Tesco, you shouldn't shop there. Co-Op is here too, it's not like you're being forced to shop at one or the other, it's all your own choice. As for the town centre, well it's simply the fact that everything is so overpriced. At Hydro or Bolts, you could get a Samsung 32" TV for say, £500, give or take. At Tesco, £300 (again, give or take).

Yesterday I was in Lerwick.....

The Hydro had an offer..Samsung 32" LCD £375......then we were into Tesco....OH, special offer !!!!......£380 for the same TV.....

Bolts don't sell Samsung...........but a very friendly member of staff gave a demo of their 3D TV....compared with the brainless checkout person at Tesco, it's well worth to go to Bolts....

Dave, you keep banging on about how uncompetitive local retailers here are, I and several other people have given examples of how that is NOT the case. Seems to me Poseidon may not be the only thick skulled one here!

Cheers

ps You've still not explained the Hodge saga yet! :wink:

pps The Tesco employee metioned above about the Samsung TV for £300, it was actually £379, same price as one in the Hydro and £30 dearer than George Robertsons!! :shock: Bargain. :D

Cheers

If you go back through the thread, you will see many examples quoted where items are cheaper online than purchased locally. If you have managed to find some cheaper locally then good for you.

As for the Chris Hodge saga, that has been well-documented in Shetlink previously. The local traders just did not want the guy around despite the fact that much of what he was selling was tat. He was taking trade away from local traders and they just couldn't stomach that fact.

Similarly, if a cut-priced retailer such as Poundland or Poundstretcher sought to open a store here there would be similar objections as there were to Hodge and there are to Tesco now. In all of the towns throughout the UK, there are cut-price stores operating and yet the local traders are seemingly seeking to deny the local shoppers here the right to buy from cheaper sources.

I am unsure as to the TV deal you refer to but maybe the one at Tesco was an alternative but cheaper make. Being cheaper doesn't mean that it is an inferior item.

The simple fact is this; if you don't like Tesco, you shouldn't shop there. Co-Op is here too, it's not like you're being forced to shop at one or the other, it's all your own choice. As for the town centre, well it's simply the fact that everything is so overpriced. At Hydro or Bolts, you could get a Samsung 32" TV for say, £500, give or take. At Tesco, £300 (again, give or take).

Yesterday I was in Lerwick.....

The Hydro had an offer..Samsung 32" LCD £375......then we were into Tesco....OH, special offer !!!!......£380 for the same TV.....

Bolts don't sell Samsung...........but a very friendly member of staff gave a demo of their 3D TV....compared with the brainless checkout person at Tesco, it's well worth to go to Bolts....

your out of order insulting tesco staff. they are no more brainless than anyone else. i have found them to be very helpful and friendly unlike some of your mentioned stores. by the way when was the hydro shop a local store.

but a very friendly member of staff gave a demo of their 3D TV....compared with the brainless checkout person at Tesco

Surely it's reasonably 'brainless' to expect a checkout operator to demonstrate a tv..?

Quite right, Breeksy.