Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

Whether a middle man is Tesco or local shop it will make no difference to the local economy. One way to make a difference is to buy locally produced products. If you have a contact that will sell you local products for cash avoiding tax and vat that will help our economy more, not that i would promote that sort of activity.

That was a reply to Salmon, not a comparison. Co-Ops are run by the community for the community.

And the rabbit and fishing was a dig at the fact that folk want these things wrapped in plastic and from other shores.

I dont often see folk doing these nowadays.

The tesco club card is still a different thing, co op dividends are about a collective, trying to promote community.

How many Shetland Hotels take Tesco Vouchers?

(I bet the answer may be less than 1)

not the farming community they are just as tough as the evil tesco. they are a big retailer but funnily enough not so big in the north west of england. peat were do you shop.

I shop at Booths, 50% of produce is sourced locally. It costs a wee bit more, but good. Food lasts so much longer. The tatties dug the night b4 are great. The profits stay in the north west.

Tesco have dominated Leyland, a huge store and a few locals, Morrisons built a store there too, on the old lorry factory plot.

We use farmers markets too and grow our own stuff.

so would we but i really can't see booths opening a store up here. i did love there shops though. way better than the rest by a mile.

Whether a middle man is Tesco or local shop it will make no difference to the local economy. One way to make a difference is to buy locally produced products. If you have a contact that will sell you local products for cash avoiding tax and vat that will help our economy more, not that i would promote that sort of activity.
are you promoting criminal activities. crofters would never dream of such wickedness.

As the buying population of Shetland appears to be crapping themselves over the impending dominence of Tesco, it is entirely possible that the company may reduce the price on all 2-ply Toilet-Rolls down to Cost Price.

However, for the more hardy folks and the other lost souls, it will have to be the Sun as per normal :wink:

As the buying population of Shetland appears to be crapping themselves over the impending dominence of Tesco, it is entirely possible that the company may reduce the price on all 2-ply Toilet-Rolls down to Cost Price.

I thought they already had with their own brand stuff. That was the only reason that I've been buying it. Considering what it feels like in use, I'm going to have to take my trade elsewhere if they're actually taking a profit on that stuff.

Cecil- you said on the 27th:

"Every item we sell in our shop, someone, somewhere in the world will sell it cheaper."

Erm, I would disagree- I Couldn't find the camera I wanted any cheaper anywhere online, AND you were throwing in a Card-reader and soft case, so I bought from you!

Other folk have said the same thing - they got the camera they wanted from you after having trawled shops sooth and the Internet :)

I always advise folk to go to yours in the first instance.

Some shops up here are very competitive. I like to look local first, helps keep folks in a job, and if it's only a few quid difference, so what?

However, for the more hardy folks and the other lost souls, it will have to be the Sun as per normal :wink:

OOPS, I really meant to say SOME of the buying population etc etc etc.

And if some Sun readers feel a peerie bit upset (and sore) :wink: I also meant to include The Daily Mail.