Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

The Sound service station would seem to be an obvious site but the forecourt would be way too small. I guess it would be the same size as the Leask garage and the shop there, undoubtedly selling Tesco items, would be an obvious 24/7 shopping opportunity.

I don't think Tesco would open a shop 24/7 in Shetland Dave.

Tesco are all about profit and there's no profit in running a store 24/7 in Lerwick or someone else would be doing it.

Lerwick is a small town with a limited population of whom the majority would be in their bed through the early hours!! Saturday and Sunday being the exception! :wink:

But tesco treat the North Sea as a motorway. Somebody on here with great wisdom said so. Surely they'll be driving it up in lorries then???

Oh how correct that statement is, as has been said before let's no longer hear the cry from the woeful retailer

" Sorry about the price, it's the freight you know"....

and soon we will all benefit from cheaper petrol and diesel prices....to come....shop at Tesco and fill up your car for 5p a litre less than any other Petrol Station in Shetland.

The King of Fish has spoken....lol

^No, it doesn't. It's a move to get punters through the door in a similar fashion to their other loss-leaders.

and soon we will all benefit from cheaper petrol and diesel prices....to come....shop at Tesco and fill up your car for 5p a litre less than any other Petrol Station in Shetland.

The King of Fish has spoken....lol

I can't imagine there's a huge profit margin in the price of a single gallon (at the pumps anyway!) and it will obviously cost tesco more to get it up here than to Aberdeen for example. That will further eat in to their beloved profit margins.

Now, assuming they do sell at 5p less than any other pump up here, that's 5p off... but only if you shop at tescos, right? So 5p + however much extra it costs to get it up here and they're not going to be making much from petrol sales alone. What could they possibly gain from doing that? Obviously more punters through their supermarket doors and less folk shopping elsewhere.

You expect our petrol stations to do the same? I get the "they've been ripping us off for years" argument that gets trotted out so please come back with more than just that. It's old and completely ignores the realities of what tesco will be doing... if they do it. If you're happy to see businesses go bust and choice be whittled away to what your overlords offer just so you can get cheaper petrol then that's your (and everybody else's) problem.

Tesco are a business and in it to make as much money as they can. They don't love you. Sorry to break it to you but they just want everyone's money and they're not bothered how they get it. Got it?

Fuel sales is quite a lucrative business if you have large volume sales like leasks large rebates from the wholesaler too. I suppose its just changing times the likes of grantfield sound and sutherlands can forget about fuel sales when Tesco comes. Unless you have a site that can cope with large volume sales it will be quite useless trying to compete. They have all done very well out of fuel sales in the past big rebate cheques all around.

Which means it'll still be 11p (or thereabouts) dearer than mainland prices.

Do Tesco have a national pricing policy or don't they?

Guest posiedon

Will Tesco let you buy cheaper fuel if you have bought your groceries from the Co-op.................No I thought not.

The cheaper fuel is just another incitement to get you into the shop, where you will be fleeced.

Will Tesco let you buy cheaper fuel if you have bought your groceries from the Co-op.................No I thought not.

The cheaper fuel is just another incitement to get you into the shop, where you will be fleeced.

You are talking garbage with such a comment.

I am retired now but was a qualified accountant and am ceratinly fully conscious as to monetary values. My wife and I shop at Tesco most weeks and I can assure you that I am not fleeced there. We shop carefully and do not waste our money at all.