Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

Clive has a good letter in the Shetland News , why buy from me when Tesco is cheaper, would he buy his stock from the most expensive wholesaler good buisiness practice would be not to. Running your own finances is to buy from the cheapest shop, sorry Clive its buisnesss.

Ever since Safeway opened the new store I have been shopping there despite the name on the door and the latest changes Tesco have made make me more likely to continue to shop there. Mainly I think there is more choice than at the Co-op and the store is better laid out........and most importantly for me the queues at the checkouts are shorter (mostly). That said I am certainly going to have a look at prices in local shops (and on-line) for all but the smallest of my non grocery products.

Going back a few pages I have to say that Chris Hodge may well have been the victim of some sort of local shopkeepers Mafia but that he also contributed to his own downfall in a number of ways including not making sure he had a firm statement on planning consent for change of use (something I always thought he would need).

And going to the future I think that unless I am in a hurry to obtain a specific title I will be sticking to buying my CDs and DVDs on-line simply because it is so much more relaxing than Tescos (or Clives).

Next questions I think Tesco have to ponder are its customers being able to order goods from the Tesco catalogue and for the store to offer some sort of delivery service.

I love the new look TESCO, the good thing about it is i now can get the things i would normaly wait untill i go south on holiday.

I am one of the bad people that come back from holiday with the car/bags stapped foo with as much as i can get crammed in. Now that the New Tesco is here that money will now be spent in a local shop - which is employing local people. (most of my south shopping is in Asda, Tesco or Premark)

Only thing everyone, i do find with Tesco's is Play.com sells a wider range of DVD's/music that Clives and Tesco put together. So, to use a used catchphrase 'dont buy there, buy from Play!

Better the money in your pocket than theirs and you get it delivered for free to your front door.

I love the new look TESCO, the good thing about it is i now can get the things i would normaly wait untill i go south on holiday.

I am one of the bad people that come back from holiday with the car/bags stapped foo with as much as i can get crammed in. Now that the New Tesco is here that money will now be spent in a local shop - which is employing local people. (most of my south shopping is in Asda, Tesco or Premark)

Only thing everyone, i do find with Tesco's is Play.com sells a wider range of DVD's/music that Clives and Tesco put together. So, to use a used catchphrase 'dont buy there, buy from Play!

Better the money in your pocket than theirs and you get it delivered for free to your front door.

There are treatments available for such a serious degree of sickness in a Troll, like you. But those treatments have been proved to be rather useless against Trolls who beliebve in Tesco.

So, I'd suggest the secondary treatment for Tesco Trolls, which has proved very popular. Feed them a bar of laxative chocolate, then they can sit in a toilet and discuss Tesco with themselves all day.

There are treatments available for such a serious degree of sickness in a Troll, like you. But those treatments have been proved to be rather useless against Trolls who beliebve in Tesco.

So, I'd suggest the secondary treatment for Tesco Trolls, which has proved very popular. Feed them a bar of laxative chocolate, then they can sit in a toilet and discuss Tesco with themselves all day.

i think thats a tad strong, thats exactly what i and tons of people do do, why and how does that make me a trol (what ever that is) I'm looking forward to them selling petrol too!

I for one don't care where i buy goods from as long as the price matches the quality and the service getting it is good. If that meens a big shop then that means a big shop internet or not.

The last big purches i bought was from the Camera Centre who bet the internet in all counts

i think thats a tad strong, thats exactly what i and tons of people do do, why and how does that make me a trol (what ever that is) I'm looking forward to them selling petrol too!

I for one don't care where i buy goods from as long as the price matches the quality and the service getting it is good. If that meens a big shop then that means a big shop internet or not.

The last big purches i bought was from the Camera Centre who bet the internet in all counts

You is sooo sad. I hope that Tesco pays you a minimum Troll wage. :lol:

I have to agrree with Fusion. I can get my cheap jeans here now without having to buy them when I'm south

Thanks for that.

Dont know how you get to be a Tesco trol when your telling folk that 'play' is better than Tesco.

The main bit is to shop around online as well as at home. Getting things delivered to the door is sometimes worth paying south prices - even if that is a wee bit higher than here.

Some days i cant be bothered trying to get a parking space miles away From the street when your just looking for one thing.

ps. I dont work for any shop!

Guest Anonymous

I doubt that Caroline loses much sleep over tesco's there is simply no comparison to be made between the quality of goods on sale in Harry's and those on sale in tesco. And those of you foolish enough to think there is will waste your money in tesco once or twice then realise just how wrong you are.

Since Smith and harpers changed hands several years back Harry's has had no real competition yet the prices did not rocket skywards as some on here would have you believe.

I will maintain though that the country shops and other food outlets are in serious trouble if folks don't wise up and start using them as they used to, when there is only tesco's left prices will rocket and quality of service will fall drastically.

So what if tesco employ 150 folk the country shops employ more than that and without the folks that work in them having to travel into lerwick to find employment, saving the planet and keeping the likes of AT happy at the same time. :)

Those of you that see tesco as the holy grail of shopping will get what you deserve in the long run unfortunately the rest of us will have to suffer along side you. :cry:

when your local shop shuts its doors never to reopen how are you going to get a loaf of bread and a pint of milk when the snow is 2" deep and you can't get your 4x4 into town. :roll:

bobdahog wrote

Those of you that see tesco as the holy grail of shopping will get what you deserve in the long run
But I hope that most of us will see that Tesco is just one of a number of shopping options open to us. This morning I went to Tesco for some purchases that my local shop either does not offer or is not able to compete with Tesco on price and this afternoon I went to my local shop for milk, wine and toilet roll which are products they can compete on. And to be honest I would have probably bought those same items at Safeway, Somerfield, Morrisons or the Co-op.

Guest Anonymous

So do I just me, but unfortunately that is not the case with many on this forum and indeed the whole island. with statements like "local fatcats ripping us off" common on this thread and in the letters pages of the times.

personally I will never set foot inside tesco for the simple reason that they do not trade fairly they target other shops by undercutting them to the point that the local traders can not afford to trade and once they are out of business then up go the prices and down with the quality.

how long after the last local shop closes its doors do think it will be before tesco uses us to unload all the spoiled goods from their shops in Aberdeen.

Go into any tesco down the road that has no local competition and see just how fresh (or not) the produce is that is on sale and at what price.

buying toilet roll that is price marked from your local shop is not going to keep them in business. But buying a range of goods that in some cases may be slightly dearer than tesco's will though and that is I'm afraid to say the price of living where we do. I know i would rather pay that little bit extra and continue to have the quality of life that is living here.

Maybe you can take up the question I have posed several times when the "just pay more for quality" stance is proposed - what do you do when you just simply dont have enough money to do so?

Where do you get it? I completely understand those who say buying better quality is better in the long run and all the reasons why that is, but what nobody has yet been able to say is where you get this extra money from.

The other problem I've mentioned here a few times is the whole "tesco town" analogy. Yes, it works south, but here, the extra stock tescos is selling is what most people already buy online, or on shopping trips south, anyway. So the evidence so far is that tesco will actually be retaining more cashflow locally. And if they do hike prices n future, we'll just go back to shopiing online or south again like we do now.