Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

It was allsorts, though, the food was shipped around Scotland for a few days before it arrived. Last year, last winter, don't really matter, folk were suckered into something the coop used to do with out the hype. Tesco do not really care until the profits drop. Though some of the very early posts in this thread have come true in a few ways.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am starting to wonder that Tesco is becoming a tsunami to Shetland's local shops and suppliers. It's because they have better quality, more affordable and accessible groceries, as they have begun their second extension. I do feel that it is making even more people to come into Lerwick: we might end up having too much stuff and too little space, or vice versa, for an archipelago of about 25,000 going into one supermarket.

Maybe I suppose we should start growing our own fruit and veg for ourselves but I'm not much a keen gardener! :-)

Tesco's meat has become very pricey. We've done the maths. Ignore the price of the pack look at the price per Kg! We have checked against Scalloway meat company and Mainlands butchers both are better priced by the Kg for all meat! Check yourself for the price of a phone call. I worked at an abattoir when I first left school and can tell you that Supermarket meats are made heavier by injecting water (Check how much products like bacon, pork and chicken fillets shrink whilst cooking compared to fresh butcher produce.) and are always from poorer quality animals. Don't buy the hype check for yourself. I have also found if you can save up to buy once a month and purchase all your meat (Freeze it) at once most butchers will negotiate a little on the price - try doing that at a checkout in Tesco!!!

Maybe I suppose we should start growing our own fruit and veg for ourselves but I'm not much a keen gardener! :-)

There is a group that can help you, well, anyone. From my own experience with a group I am treasurer here for, you do not have to sign up for the whole Peak Oil package, their goal is to show that you can be more self sufficient and rely less on carbon creating ways. The number of miles the Tesco produce has to travel is something that needs to be considered, reducing food miles will only help the local community. Transition Shetland Link

The Coop are looking for folk's opinions on a range of subjects as part of a large-scale national survey. So if you have an opinion, a suggestion or a complaint then now's the time to do something about it!

http://www.haveyoursay.coop

There has been comment that the survey will also help determin links between all of the Co-ops activities, including the Bank and Political Party. Though, the Co-op is in need of some assistance, one of the ways you can get involved is sign up to the shop and become a member. You will be part of it then, you may even get help for your own projects.

Tesco's meat has become very pricey. We've done the maths. Ignore the price of the pack look at the price per Kg! We have checked against Scalloway meat company and Mainlands butchers both are better priced by the Kg for all meat! Check yourself for the price of a phone call. I worked at an abattoir when I first left school and can tell you that Supermarket meats are made heavier by injecting water (Check how much products like bacon, pork and chicken fillets shrink whilst cooking compared to fresh butcher produce.) and are always from poorer quality animals. Don't buy the hype check for yourself. I have also found if you can save up to buy once a month and purchase all your meat (Freeze it) at once most butchers will negotiate a little on the price - try doing that at a checkout in Tesco!!!

I would agree with this, you can ask for the content of meat products if it is not already labeled with such information. Although Tesco is an employer in Shetland, much of the money goes south, leaving a negative impact. Tesco has little regard to what it sells and to who, it also provides many processed products, which, as part of a monitored diet are OK, are not really suited to your longevity.

Tesco's meat has become very pricey.

Agreed..  It is also of poor quality and can be quite 'tasteless'.  The Co-op's meat is a bit better but, Local butchers (and wholesalers if you can swing it) offer much better products at better prices and, no 'muck' oozes out when you cook it.

Compare, for example, Scalloway Meat's bacon to the crap that Tesco sells.

In a similar vein (no pun intended) the 'In Store Fresh Bakes' are nearly always undercooked.  Who wants pale and pasty looking fresh bread with hardly any crust?   Identical items from the Co-op are much better prepared but, I'll stick to baking my own when I can.

Had my first look at the shrunken Co-op the other day as well as having a look at Peacocks. Have to say that I did see enough products that Tesco do not stock to make me think of alternating my shopping trips between the two stores.  But I shop at Tesco rather than my local shop partly for price and partly for selection since they do stock a far bigger range than any of my local shops.  Probably a bigger range than the local wholesalers as well although a somewhat limited range by Tesco standards.

But what would be really good for Lerwick is a decent bakery.......anyone out there with the time and money to give it a go?.

Was shopping in Tescos this weekend and have to agree that the price of meat has been getting more expensive week by week. Ended up with a chicken for Sunday lunch as the beef was rediculously over priced for the size of it, then once cooked it loses so much liquid that it ends up half the size.

As someone already said " pretty tasteless" as well. I'll have a look at Scalloway next week to see what their prices are like. At least you know its likely to taste better :-)

There is a group that can help you, well, anyone. From my own experience with a group I am treasurer here for, you do not have to sign up for the whole Peak Oil package, their goal is to show that you can be more self sufficient and rely less on carbon creating ways. The number of miles the Tesco produce has to travel is something that needs to be considered, reducing food miles will only help the local community. Transition Shetland Link

It was only a joke and I am not interested in gardening. My aunt is a gardener though.