Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

^ It really matters little who does it, when, or why. In the last 40+ years since the isles were held to ransom by dockers and/or seamen's strikes, its never been necessary to fly food in, nobody was starving.

Whoever has done it, did it out of choice, and they saw it beneficial for their own ends. The welfare of us plebs never came in to it, we were just pawns in their game, as always.

Folk got sucked into the stunt though, quite vocal as well. Shetland has suffered for hundreds of years with the weather.

Now the Prawn Curry... tiger or brown?

There have been a number of issues with the ethics of Tesco, the way they get rid of employees is a big concern. It appears from the out side they abuse the TUPE agreements.

They do like to dominate. Keep an eye land purchases.

There's a very simple reason why Kirkwall doesn't run out as often.

It is closer to Scotland and easier to truck goods to. Blat up the A9, short crossing on a ferry that doesn't get binned that often. Sorted.

But.....Kirkwall can run low, just the same as at the excellent Tesco superstore in Wick. Because it doesn't take much snow to close the A9 at the Ord.......

It would be a simple reason in winter but, heads up, it's summer(?)  :razz:

Aye, had a brain freeze (that'll be the weather :) )  and forgot to add this bit:

Another consideration would be warehousing space, I don't think the Lerwick site was ever built with enough backup space to deal with  the level of sales Tesco currently enjoy.

I'd say that the current site is too small for the current level of trade. But would it be viable for Tesco to invest in a larger site? Hmmmm.....

Aye, had a brain freeze (that'll be the weather :) )  and forgot to add this bit:

Another consideration would be warehousing space, I don't think the Lerwick site was ever built with enough backup space to deal with  the level of sales Tesco currently enjoy.

I'd say that the current site is too small for the current level of trade. But would it be viable for Tesco to invest in a larger site? Hmmmm.....

The Kirkwall store seems(?) to be of a similar size but, I'm no expert on the yardage bit.

Plenty of room adjoining the Lerwick store for development.  There is a large pach of waste ground adjoining the store/car park and, there is the car park itself which, incidentally, is much larger than the Kirkwall one.

In the Shetland News, not a bad turnover for one shop. Also quoted that this could equate to 60% of retail turnover. They can do what they like now.

http://www.shetnews.co.uk/news/8993-supermarket-store-managers-trade-places

Wages would be one, the rates, once they go South and back again, not much local produce though.

Not a case of biting, but already being bitten.

However, regardless of that, I am sure folk are happy they can do most of their shop in one building and perceive a saving.

Edited by shetlandpeat

Huge turnover but, another non-issue.

They are no different really to a bunch of other 'south owned' (and local) retailers such as the Co-Op etc.

Generally, no matter what is sold on Shetland, a percentage of the money always ends up going south.

Newspapers.  Where does the paper and ink come from?

Fish.  Where does the fuel used to catch it come from?

Bread.  Where does the flour and yeast come from?

Beers, wines and spirits.  Where do they come from?

Not much local produce?  That is mainly because local manufacturers(?) and producers do not agree (or cannot survive) with the margins Tesco allow them.

I agree with colin as they are mainly just reselling others products most of the money will always head south. but so would a local supermarket.i would not fancy just eating food just produced here. ive still got the cook book that teaches how to cook fish guts. Shetlands produce is fresh and very nice but its really very limited. as to there profit well a little bit will head back in pension schemes and our investments.

tesco has exacting rules to get on there shelves and yes they will cut what they pay to as little as they can but thats the free market for you.  peat if a local had built a local supermarket in the 1970s then there would have been no room for the south shops to move here. there is a demand and they meet it so big deal. the demand is still there for a discounter like aldi. you know that privately owned german firm.

Ah, and you said you would never reply, ure sweet really. x

Regardless of your list, much used to be produced or gone without.

The turn over is not really a "non-issue", it highlights the amount of money available to be spent. With the way folk currently waste their assets, packaging, throwing away food and paying to ship food from south shows that it is not really Tesco, however, they are "in Town" and will reap as much as they can for as little as they can.

It is up to the local businesses however to make the most of what they do good. Of course, shoppers to take advantage.

As said, reselling others products may be the simplistic description, they do dictate the profits of those suppliers to maximise theirs.

They are not simply a "reseller". They will manipulate the market to suit their ways, any shop that has such a dominance will do that. They also show how easily communities can be moulded to the Tesco way.

They are heading towards becoming a monopoly.

Nothing wrong with tatty soup, or much of the rest of the Shetland fare. Of course you can highlight the worst sounding, but, tripe is quite a nice dish.

Each to their own though.

so your advice is that we who live up here should survive on a diet from 150 years ago. its possible that soup is healthy and can be very nice but pottage everyday me thinks not. we also need to bear in mind that 150 years ago shetland could feed itself in most things now it can't.

apart from small producers our food would be limited to spuds swedes the odd cabbage fish and meat. so really its all waffle we have to import stuff or starve. same as the uk as an whole. 

out of interest where do you shop.

Edited by paulb

I was at Tesco today just before lunchtime and on the busiest day of the week they had run out of carrier bags.

So the Co-op has run out of carrier bags in the past.  Should not happen and I am sure Tesco will be looking in to this.  Am sure they will also be looking into shortages of certain items when the .com pickers were fulfilling their orders and also for early customers today although when I shopped at lunchtime I did get everything on my list.

Of course if I shop in my local shop or an independent shop in town most of the purchase price goes south to pay for the goods shipped to Shetland and it is possible that with Tesco's buying power less goes south than if I buy "imported" foods locally.  Complicated world but as long as there is an Asda or an Aldi I do not think Tesco will achieve world domination.