Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

Unfortunately, in my opinion, where I live the prices of the local shop are shocking. They are approximately 50% more than Tesco charge. They have a bad habit of leaving out of date food food on the shelf and a lot of the veg is not worth having. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of benefits in having a local shop there but I do expect to pay a decent price and I also expect the food that I buy to be reasonably fresh. 

Fair point. If I felt that way about my local shop, I'd probably feel Tesco, warts and all were "good" too. As always, these things are relative. Its just a shame that no-one nowhere seems much interested in upping their game, which would cause the rest to have to do likewise or go under, as everybody would benefit from it.

• 9 months later...

Guess another casualty of modern shopping habits.

Why? Last I heard Sound seemed to be doing at least "okay", and they're nearer to the all consuming retail demon.

If current owners of retail outlets choose to close rather than pursue alternatives (Lochside hasn't been advertised for sale, lease, whatever AFAIK) there's no way of knowing the real reason for the demise.

I am pleased to see the new Eastern European/Polish supermarket in the street.  Good luck to them and I hope they thrive and survive.

I have also seen that Tesco's have increased their Eastern European/Polish range by at least double.  I am sure this is just a coincidence and not a mean and spiteful attempt to drive them out of business, like they did World Tastes.

Most supermarkets are offering 80% processed foods, the fresh stuff is soaked in herbicides/pesticides, and the Organic food you pay a premium financially.

Our EU and Own Governments do not protect us and allow all sorts of sub standard food to reach the shelves, I hope now we are out of the EU the food safety improves in our foods, and farmers are rewarded for putting essential minerals back into the food chain.

Any views or suggestions?

Most supermarkets are offering 80% processed foods, the fresh stuff is soaked in herbicides/pesticides, and the Organic food you pay a premium financially.

Our EU and Own Governments do not protect us and allow all sorts of sub standard food to reach the shelves, I hope now we are out of the EU the food safety improves in our foods, and farmers are rewarded for putting essential minerals back into the food chain.

Any views or suggestions?

I certainly would not buy fruit/vegetables covered in aphids.

• 4 weeks later...

I hear today that Lochside Stores is closeing down.

Guess another casualty of modern shopping habits.

Could this be the Tesco Apocalypse that was predicted about 90 pages and 9 years ago?   :mrgreen:

Regarding the delivery service, it is a bit of a nightmare if they turn up with no veggies at all, but I really can't face going into the store.  Supermarkets just bring out trolley rage in me.  It's probably due to people (customers) standing around blocking the aisles chewing the fat.  So, no veggies just means scurvy for a week!  Delivery prices are rising though.  It used to be a quid to get a delivery at some ungodly hour, and now it is £3.  Still cheaper than the bus, let alone the car - if I owned one.  Since they upped the minimum order I tend to have less deliveries though, and overall spend less money with them, so choice hasn't been removed completely as predicted.

I just remember back to what a hole the Co-op was before Tesco arrived.  Although it has taken them longer to resurface the car park.  In fact I broke a front spring in their Brae car park, which was similarly pot-holed before the new emporium was built.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Is the Salmon Industry in Shetland Islands producing and focusing on what the market really wants? 

I note what Tesco is experiencing in this article

http://www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/Ingredients/Tesco-organic-food-sales-rise-15/?utm_source=Newsletter_Subject&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter%2BSubject&c=WipRbenec69QGt2DXUzv2jroNpl6Bln0

For me I want Shetland Islands to be famous for producing the best food.