Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

• 6 months later...

Shopping yesterday at your Lerwick store and the shelves were poorly stocked,do you have staff shortages or just bone idle staff?(most products not on shelf were excess stock on top shelves),I asked a manager on the chill section(name tag *removed by moderator*) if they had smoked ham and he laughed and walked away,and lass (name tag *removed by moderator*) in bread isle ignored me when i asked for wraps.Thank god the coop is still here as they always have stock and staff are always well mannered apart from (*removed by moderator*),bring on lidl

You sure the boxes on the top shelf had anything in them?

Tesco are abysmal. They've secured their market dominance locally, gotten folk used to coming to them, and now lines stocked and stock control has gone to hell in a handbag, stock quality has gone from bad to worse, and prices are rising hand over fist. They're a pith take, just like we expected they would be.

I have gone between Co-op and Tesco's but think now the Co-op has the better stock. At one time, Tesco's was ahead of the Co-op with variety, quality product and was reasonably priced. But the last few times I ventured to Tesco, I struggled to find anything that I wanted to buy, so just went to Co-op.

My problem with Tesco, for me anyway, is the lack of local produces like local bread etc.

I am maybe just quite picky about what I buy, but have heard a few folk saying the same about Tesco over the last year.

The plus point for Tesco is the large car park with plenty of room to reverse etc, cash point machines (but most folk probably pay with their card anyway) and found the layout quite good with plenty of room between isles. Also their delivery service is a big help for elderly and folk that can't drive especially in the country.

The Co-op does seem to have better variety, for me anyway, but it feels quite cramped with narrow isles and the car park is quite a challenge if you go there when it's busy, but I usually go in the evenings so it's quiet and no problem. Also a BIG CONGRATULATIONS to the Co-op for getting their car park re-surfaced, credit where credit is due.

So think both shops have their advantages and disadvantages.

I still buy most of my food from Bolts, though as like the idea of supporting a smaller local business.   

Edited by Lerwick antiques

When we were up in Feb, I found Tescos was quite poor, especially when compared to shops here in Manchester. 

We were pleasantly surprised by how good the Co-op up in Brae was, most of the staff there were nice and helpful too.

Not familiar with Bolts though, don't think we saw that shop when up.

The one thing that really is better with Tesco is the fact that you can order online and have it delivered, frozen food included. They cover everywhere on Mainland. Unfortunately, they don't do the isles yet.

Agree completely. Were it not for their delivery service, it would never cross my mind to consider buying a thing from them.

On your doorstep at an agreed time for a reasonable flat rate cost (if you sign up for one of their delivery saver packages), you're willing to put up with a certain amount of shortcomings. But if their prices continue to rise like they have been, and there's no improvement in stocking/quality and management attitude, that could very quickly change and the local shop start to look the more attractive option again for a main shop.

I heard from a staff member the Co-op is having a huge refit in January, with expansion of the shop floor among some of the improvements. 

Tesco in my eyes have become hugely complacent, and have for a while now seemed to have taken islanders custom for granted.

Co-op seems to be on the up, but what did the staff member do so wrong  plook? :)

Edited by suuusssiiieee

Where I now live the small Co-op had a major refurbishment recently and to be fair I am amazed how many extra interesting products they have managed to display in the same space.  All right so they are not as cheap (well mostly not as cheap) as Heron Foods down the road but the quality is good.