Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

Does Tesco even stock their 'Everyday Value' basic range up here any more? Granted the so-called 'food' products were of a quality I'd neither buy nor eat, but it had its uses for things that not even Tesco could destroy, like kitchen/bathroom paper, salt, soap etc.

One by one though, each of those have disappeared over the last months on their website, either vanishing from it completey or being permanently unavailable to Shetland shoppers. Leaving folk either having to buy an alternative from their standard range, which typically costs more than double of the basic range, or do without. A nice little earner for them off a captive market.

Did anybody expect anything else of them?

• 1 year later...

^ Fine place to go then seeing as Tesco have just significantly reduced their number of stocked lines to make room for all the Halloween/Guy Fawkes/Xmas pointless overpriced tat that ends up in the 'recycling' in days if not hours of being brought home.

How's the Coop's prices though? Heard a few muttering about needing a second mortgage to shop there......

Pity Coop wouldn't start a delivery service though, Tesco's drivers are faultless, but the available shop stock they have that they can bring you varies between pitiful and abysmal. And even the crap stuff isn't cheap. Even if the Coop's prices were a bit higher, I'd happily pay them to get delivered what I want to buy, rather than what I'm going to have to tolerate just to have something, anything I can tolerate, to eat.

I think the co-op layout is far better. But they have installed that self service checkouts which seems to cause problems. I was along the Co-op last week and there was a lass trying to use one of the self service checkouts and needed assistance, but she had to wait at least 5 minutes before a member of staff came to help, wouldn't care, but there was two members of staff standing beside the checkouts but they were to busy speaking to help. They would really need to have someone employed just to stand at them ready to help customers who dares to use them. Also hear that they are planning to replace the flooring in the Co-op, I don't know, but think I would have replaced the flooring before giving it a new layout.

Having said that, the co-op is one of my favorite shops as I usually get what I want and know a few of the staff.

Tescos seems to be lost their way in the last year or so, I can go to tescos and come out with a couple of items and usually it is just the case of buying something so it's not a wasted trip. I thought it was good them doing works to the car park but that is before I realized they have installed very harsh speed bumps, the ones on the esplanade etc are a joy to go over compared to these ones Tescos have installed. I creep over the ones in Tescos but still gives my van a terrible rattle, swear it will do damage to the suspension or something. I personally think this is a bad move for Tescos.

Also note that Bolts has had a revamp and Alex Morrisons has changed a bit in the last few weeks.

Tesco always seem to have a better selection than the Co-op and it's at a better price. That, plus the fact that they deliver makes a massive difference, especially to those of us that no longer drive and don't live within walking distance of either. Even the Co-op in Brae is about twelve miles away, no good for frozen food, but Tesco have a frozen section in their delivery vans.

Edited by George.

I'm waiting for Tesco Lerwick to introduce 'Scan as you Shop'. I used that all the time when I lived down south, and it made the experience of shopping far more bearable. It's just a case of picking up a barcode scanner when you enter the shop and you scan each item before placing it in the bag nice and neatly. When you have finished shopping you go to one of the special machines (whatever they're called) and transfer the information from the scanner to the machine and pay by cash/card. Bags already packed and sat in the trolley. 

I'm indifferent to the idea, but it puts people out of jobs and allows behemoths to make higher profits, are the arguments of those against it.

Personally I can kinda see their point, that for what you're paying for the stuff the least the company can do is add up the cost before they rob you of it, but in reality I'd probably use self checkouts when I was in a tearing hurry, and regular checkouts when I wasn't bothered about the length of time I was spending in grotesque retail hell.

Personally I can kinda see their point, that for what you're paying for the stuff the least the company can do is add up the cost before they rob you of it, but in reality I'd probably use self checkouts when I was in a tearing hurry, and regular checkouts when I wasn't bothered about the length of time I was spending in grotesque retail hell.

I wonder how many people would use the self checkout two or three times and then go back and stand in a queue?

I wonder how many people would use the self checkout two or three times and then go back and stand in a queue?

Me for one...  Go figure