Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

I really hope tesco don't open in shetland they are a huge company which only exist to make huge profits. They will bleed the local economy dry and many of the excellent shops in lerwick would struggle to survive, particularly the butchers. Here in Edinburgh Tesco tried to open in Portabello but thanks to a campaign by local people the council rejected the planning application. I do most of my shopping on Portabello high street and I am very thankfull that there is no Tesco which undoubtably would have forced many of the local shops to close. The future should be diverse not homogenized.

turrifield wrote

I really hope tesco don't open in shetland they are a huge company which only exist to make huge profits. They will bleed the local economy dry and many of the excellent shops in lerwick would struggle to survive, particularly the butchers.

I am sure the same thing was said in Shetland every time the Co-op expanded or when Safeway built their new store. And I believe that the Co-op and Somerfield will be the biggest losers should Tesco, Lidl or anyone else open another supermarket in Lerwick.

As for local shops I fear that if they cannot compete then they deserve to die. That said they can compete. Butchers and other shops on quality, convenience, service and price......yes they can be cheaper than the supermarkets. For example Bolts is still going despite the Co-op and Lochside Stores carries on between the two supermarkets.

Guest Anonymous

I can understand that the Lerwick people might find a Tesco attractive. Let's face it there is little real alternative to shopping in a supermarket, so one is just as bad as the other. It's like stepping in a dog turd. Does it matter which breed of dog dropped it?

On the other hand, people from the country areas mostly have a choice, their local shop.

Country shops are always dearer, at least that is the theory.

Several years ago I bought a basket of groceries from Mainlands shop in Dunrossness, cost £50 ish. Then bought the exact same products from the Co-op the next week, cost £55 ish. Admittedly all the items were famous brand names like Hienz, McVities, Becks, Stella Artois, etc., because it was the only way to make a fair comparison. I know that buying Co-op own brand sharn would have been cheaper, but I prefer brands I know.

If I had added vehicle running costs to my shopping, it would have cost me about £15 more to shop at the Co-op on that basket of groceries.

Many people think that supermarkets are cheap, but, just look at the prices in comparison to, for instance recommended retail price, and you may find that you are paying well over the odds for anything with a real brand name on it.

One example from a few months ago: Andrex toilet roll, (4 pack). Mainlands £1.69; Co-op £2.19: Somerfield £1.99. (The moral of that being: sharn is more expensive at a Supermarket). :wink:

Cheers,

Da Auld Een

Auld Rasmie wrote

can understand that the Lerwick people might find a Tesco attractive. Let's face it there is little real alternative to shopping in a supermarket, so one is just as bad as the other.

That is just not true. We have a choice of non supermarket places where we can buy many things at prices that are as good or better than the supermarkets when comparing like for like. Ok so there are some products that local shops cannot compete on......mixed salads for example......but keep supporting them and you never know what they might be able to offer in the future.

Guest Anonymous

^^^^ Yes, but are you supporting the small retailers???

I would not be surprised to learn that nearly every vote in favour of Tesco, is from folks living in or near Lerwick.

But, what I meant was shops where you can buy a wide range of goods under one roof, like you can in many country shops.

It is understandable for people to shop in one place if they can get everything they want, without having to traipse from shop to shop.

The general merchant is a thing of the past in Lerwick. Or have I missed something??

I shop at Brucefield Stores, Don Leslies, the Wine Shop, Malcomsons Bakery, Harry's, Scoop and Geordie Robertsons on a regular basis.......probably others I have missed. And were I not vegetarian I would also be shopping at the local butchers and fish shops.

I shop at the market in Vilnius where I can get everything at a fraction of the supermarket price (and it's guaranteed to be fresh). Isn't this a feasible option in Shetland if people would just get their heads together. Fresh, local produce on a daily basis. Mmmm... can't beat it!

Couldn't agree more fresh, local and daily are to me the most important points when buying food. Not cheap, convenient and special offer. Spending money in locally owned indepenent shops is good for the local economy where as spending money in shops owned by international corporations is bad for the local economy.

I shop at the market in Vilnius where I can get everything at a fraction of the supermarket price (and it's guaranteed to be fresh). Isn't this a feasible option in Shetland if people would just get their heads together. Fresh, local produce on a daily basis. Mmmm... can't beat it!

That's a thing I was allways wondering about when travelling the whole of the UK. Why are there no markets as they are everywhere on the continent?

Although they are not cheaper than the supermarkets here in my toon you get a far better quality and everything is absolutely fresh. And it is the best of quality controle: now farmer would try to sell rotten potatoes or veg when he is surrounded by three or four stands of competitors from the neighbourig village ... ;-) and so won't do the village butchers & bakers etc.

And the best is that the money you spend for your food goes directly to those folks who produce the food and not to a bunch of wholesalers and supermarket chains which have higher costs for distributing the stuff than they pay to the producers.

We could encourage them to come, then we could place an advert in the times to encourage all these roving gangs of hoodies to do their shoplifting there. Bog eyed, disinterested staff would make it a prime target for this.

This would help keep tescos in check and give the disenchanted youth something to do that would keep them off the Street. :wink:

:( hmmm i i thought that was a infestation that had escape shetland - we have such a problem with gangs of yoofs that i think they should start a program of ritual slaughter for anyone caught wearing ahoodie and grunting in the street :evil:

I try to support my local shop but the miserable selection of fruit and veg drives me to the town. The local shop is certainly cheaper for many things but it cant supply everything. Rubbery carrots and wrinkly peppers dont do it for me. To me Tesco is attractive for the better quality of food than you can get in Somerfield of the Coop.