Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

^^^ i'm sure those two are certainly not alone in doing that

i think if most of us knew what went on behind the scenes in food establishment - not just shop we would be worried - recently down here someone found the rs end of a rat in their curry served at a large pub chain

not sure what the answer is - make / grow everything yourself - not really practical for most

i do know from personal experience that the rewraping of out of date food is certainly not a new trick - i worked in a supermarket in 1976 and it was common practice then,

I worked in one of our supermarkets more recently and if there was any changing of sell by dates or deliberate selling of out of date food then I certainly never saw it happening. Had I seen such things I would have complained loudly to management, trading standards and anyone else who would listen.

^^^ Individual store management is going to have to have more to do with the shortcomings of day to day operations in any one given store, regardless of the company involved, than Head Office policy though. I would have a hard time believing any Supermarket had an "official" policy of condoning questionable practices, rather Managers/Promoted Staff who perceive an either real or imagined benefit (probably personal) of cutting corners and bending rules is where creative record keeping, amended labelling etc is going to originate from.

Media reports on such things almost certainly arise out of the worst end of cases, no doubt due to concerned/vengeful present/past staff tipping them off and suchlike. Only the attention grabbing stories will ever make air or appear in print, even the BBC which isn't quite so "bums on seats" driven as more commercial media enterprises have the viewing figures in the corner of their eye too.

I'm sure most of us that have seen a few Managers come and go and the management team evolve as it does over time, in the two small supermarkets we already have, can recall a waxing and waning in product availability/presentation/quality control, and in staff/customer relationship attitudes.

As the old Shetlin saying goes "dir's a midden in every toon's end", and in the case of nationals/multi-nationals that equates to there being a few badly run and dubious outlets somewhere in their overall network, regardless of who they are. It's pot luck whether you get the "dirty" one in your "toon" or not....

• 3 weeks later...

I have not read all this topic just a quick glance through so don't know if this as been said before but here is my view.

The best option would be to have one near Mossbank or round that area with the Supermarket providing free buses to Yell.

Reasons Shoppers who live in Lerwick can drive up not to much of a problem but here is the main reason shoppers like me who live on the North Isles and only have an isles car we cant drive to Lerwick we have to relay on public transport which is a joke. We pay double for our shopping locally and if we choose the option to spend a full day to do a shopping trip to Lerwick the cost of transport is ridiculous as well as the fact we can't carry enough back for the savings to make up the cost of transport.

As far which Supermarket I Prefer ASDA but Tesco Or Morrisons would do.

Also having a Supermarket up north would provide much needed jobs for the North Isles.

what is the Co-Op like in Brae? I never knew they was one there, I am new to Shetland and you properly can guess so still finding my way around. Just wondering if it would be economical to drive to Yell and get the ferry then a bus to Brae instead of going into Lerwick.

Also sorry for changing subject but where can I get a Passport photo done in the Shetland Isles? I live on Unst.

the camera shop in bolts does passport photos aswell

this may sound daft to most people but whats is bolts and where is it?

sorry for being a newbie to the Islands, I did want to move up here 15 years ago but never got the chance until recently.