Supermarkets in Shetland - prices, ethics and experiences

breeksy

I was also favourably impressed with the new Tesco store today. It was busy when I was in there, shortly after 3-00pm, but the range of foods and the prices leave the old Somerfield and the current Co-op store way behind.

Tesco's wider aisles, better selection, better laid out store, helpfull friendly staff. Think the checkouts are much better designed. must have been more cars in the car park than ever would fit in the coop and still i queued, packed and payed all in 10 mins!

It was pinned inside tho and i wouldnt shop like that again but i guess most folk just didnt shop for a few days until 2day so it was too be expected.

Chicken 10quid nearly for 4 brests? wasnt battery farmed!! so dnt understand all the rants on here about that! if anything its a hell of a price too pay!

Sounds as if Auld Rasmie still has a vested interest in one of Shetlands local businesses

Well maybe he's no the only one with a vested interest Salmon. At least his may be in a local one.

local business owners have been driving Mercedes, BMW's and Porches for years plus owning holiday homes abroad, claiming the prices are high in Shetland because of the freight, times are changing, a big thank you to TESCO.

And the Tesco "owners" drive Fiats and go for a weeks holiday once a year in Blackpool? I think not :roll:

Well, i'm surprised buy your final sentence/statement, it's fairly obvious that TESCO senior managers reap the rewards from running a profitable business venture but unlike many local businesses they have not sold over priced goods to friends and neighbours over many years claiming " Sorry the price is so high, it's due to the freight"

Every national Supermarket chain has regional price variations within their individual stores, however they all have a central core price structure that is specific to the company, as has been stated before TESCO is offering a tin of beans at the same price to Shetlanders as to Aberdonians, they are treating the North Sea as " Road Tariff " not a passport to hike prices.

We in Shetland don't pay more because we are furthest away from the main distribution point, transport costs are calculated as an overall company outlay,..... "can we mass purchase products and deliver them to our stores at an overall profit"?.....

The future is looking very bright....TESCO has just given every working person in Shetland a pay rise.

Well, i'm surprised buy your final sentence/statement, it's fairly obvious that TESCO senior managers reap the rewards from running a profitable business venture but unlike many local businesses they have not sold over priced goods to friends and neighbours over many years claiming " Sorry the price is so high, it's due to the freight"

I thought tesco management reaped the rewards by virtue of their buying power giving them the ability to undercut the prices of all smaller local traders and subsequently driving them out of business. Once that starts to happen it has a domino effect - less shops drawing punters to a particular area has a knock on effect to other businesses in the vicinity due to less and less passing trade. That's basic stuff right there.

Every national Supermarket chain has regional price variations within their individual stores, however they all have a central core price structure that is specific to the company, as has been stated before TESCO is offering a tin of beans at the same price to Shetlanders as to Aberdonians, they are treating the North Sea as " Road Tariff " not a passport to hike prices.

A quote from the handbook Salmon? Can you promise everyone that you won't hike the prices back up once competition has been eliminated claiming, "We're sorry but we just can't absorb the freight costs any more"?

We in Shetland don't pay more because we are furthest away from the main distribution point, transport costs are calculated as an overall company outlay,..... "can we mass purchase products and deliver them to our stores at an overall profit"?.....

Bully for you. Not everyone up here has the buying power of tesco. You can appreciate that?

The future is looking very bright....

For tesco.

TESCO has just given every working person in Shetland a pay rise.

I trust you had their blessing to say that? Why are unemployed people excluded? Being a "working person in Shetland" can I now sue tesco since they haven't actually given me a pay rise? Lay off the Kool Aid.

Guest Anonymous
Bein da auld inveterate sausage dat I im. I'd laek ta tak a peerie meenit ta congratulate da shoppin public o Shetland on gettin whit dey wantid.

Ferkin Tesco

Loard bliss you aa, an lang mey your lums reek upo dir higher prices wans dir killed aff aa da idder shops.

:lol:

Sounds as if Auld Rasmie still has a vested interest in one of Shetlands local businesses, but we must all remember this..............

local business owners have been driving Mercedes, BMW's and Porches for years plus owning holiday homes abroad, claiming the prices are high in Shetland because of the freight, times are changing, a big thank you to TESCO.

I hae nae interest atil onythin, apairt fae da tocht dat I widna laek ta see da isle geeng oot da muckle sphincter.

I saw da crooded car park at Tesco dastreen. Foo o Mercs, BMWs, an da laek, an wipped a tear fae me een at da tocht o aa da local fok dat winna be able ta shop onywhaur wance dir peerie job atil a local shop is geeng.

I widna ventir in da door o yun hol o hellery, bit maist fok want it, so dat's democracy, an a'm blyde aaboady is sae blyde aboot it.

Meybe a'll live lang enyoch ta win ta da isle fur a peerie holiday igyen. Bit I ken dat it'll be a different place.

Windmills, Tesco, an da laek.....

Noo I tink aboot it, I dunna tink a'll budder coomin aboot igyen. I tink a'll joost try ta mind it da wye it is enoo.

:cry:

I saw da crooded car park at Tesco dastreen. Foo o Mercs, BMWs, an da laek

BMW's and Mercs? - are you sure you were in the right car park?

Call me pedantic but I can't see any BMW's or Mercs in the SN photo - maybe you were in the Council car park :wink:

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/news_07_2008/Thousands%20spend%20thousands%20at%20Tesco.htm